Any such thing as a collectible 924?

At work so cant follow link but apart from the carrera GT(931) I'd say not really. They had a cpl of limited editions but none had any performance mods, was usually just paint and wheels. The Martini models look cool though due to colour scheme.

Is this an early version of the "upgrade" packs we get today? Think M badge on a Bimmers. Usually just paint, wheels and trim. Sometimes more equipment but no extra grunt under the hood. They can look the goods but disappoint when you drive them.

You never know , these cars are not being made any more and some are bought by young punks or driven into the ground by 6th,7th... owners. In the USA and in England , they rust away.

But apart from the models outlined above , probably no. In 20 years they will be kinda cool if you have a nice one.

In 20 years "is there any such thing as a collectable Boxster?"  ;)

Collectable and investment are obviously not the same! Sculpture , art, antiques , jewellery etc don't require much upkeep!

I expect that in the future any good condition or survivor 924 will be collectable, however the values of which will probably not be huge.

The Martini 924 is unique in its stripes etc.

Any Turbo 924 is always a nice car, in particular the Carrera GT. Even though expected prices for these still don't shoot the lights out.

I really like the last 924 'S' which had the 944's 2.5 engine and not the VAG derived OHC 4 Cylinder, I don't thibnk we got any of those down here though.

I have always liked the idea of a 924 S and lately there have been some great advances in tuning technology, which can raise the Power to 175Bhp and the Torque curve lower and flatter by doing away with the old EFI systems VAF meter and applying modern electronics to the ageing engine management.

Here's a link to the company that does it :

http://www.augmentautomotive.co.uk/augtronic

I really like the last 924 'S' which had the 944's 2.5 engine and not the VAG derived OHC 4 Cylinder, I don't think we got any of those down here though.

I know the owners of the one in Tassy  :) Oz delivered I believe , but rare!

The 924 shape is very pure , unlike the styled for the US market 944.

If I could justify it,  I'd repaint mine and keep it forever. And not just because it's unloved , as we know it was the Boxster of the day - at a difficult time for sports cars and for the Porsche company in particular.

K I can see pics and l can now see gumtree. Seems the Martini comment was a good guess. This looks very clean and are those K's right ??? 155 or is it 155000 ? Getting original wheels wouldn't be expensive as they used the steel rim used on 944's space saver spare so plenty floating around. Just need to paint em white. Interior looks very clean and that would be hard to restore if it was in poor condition, as parts would be rare. Doubtful you would find a cleaner example and who knows, made stock, it could end up being very collectable. No one ever thought the 914 would be worth anything and they are now sought after.

No one ever thought the 914 would be worth anything and they are now sought after.

Paradoxically , the fact that 924s are galvanised means there are always going to be more around than 914s - and thus less collectable. Amongst collectors , people want what others haven't got  :rolleyes:

Yeh I suppose you can have 'collectible' meaning it's rare, hard to find a decent example but doesn't cost a packet to buy.  Like the 914 as Bruce mentions.

I just thought it was an interesting 924 and looked pretty cool :)  For 11k it might be for sale for a while, but then again... if you want it for your Porsche collection $11k is pretty cheap next to all the other collectible Porsches you would want in your Porsche collection!

Given Boxster is being thrown around also in this thread -  I guess we are saying any mass produced, water cooled Porsche is going to have it's value decline greatly.  With exception of the GT2/3 and the other limited models.

I'll keep my Boxster until Russ sells me his Sporto Targa  :P  :D  :D  :D oh and Russ, can you wait a year or so to sell it to me? I would get in sooooooo much trouble if I wheeled and dealed anytime soon!  Ha!

Thanks for posting Amanda. Agree that the price is a little high for a 924 but it does look to be in great condition. I would have thought more around the $7k mark at most. Having said that Carver, Doish and I took at look at an excellent condition turbo that went for $6.5k recently.

How does one know for sure that the car is an authentic special edition and not a replica? I saw the ad as well and had the same thoughts as Amanda. 

Either the original documentation or someone who can look up the original delivery order details  :) Plus some googling http://www.924.org/models/Martini.htm  You can fake anything , given enough $ . People fake date stamp repro wheels in the Corvette world , etc. With a 924 with this approach you won't get your money back!

PS they only produced 3000 Martini models .

The Martini 924's had unique interior colour scheme as well as graphics and wheels. The wheels and paint would be easy to fake/copy possibly but the interior wouldn't and the other thing as alluded to is why would you fake a car that isn't sought after at this point, and fake it. It just wouldn't make sense. A 73 RS is another story but a martini 924 is a safe bet

I think it is similar to 911's of same period and pretty ordinary. Ppl talk about the 85.5 944's finally having decent AC and mine is great but before that air flow wasn't anything to right home about apparently. Any 924 owners who can confirm or deny ?

To verify the 924's Martini status simply obtain the VIN and contact Porsche Cars Australia to obtain the cars model and delivery specifications.

I don't think a Martini is going to be worth more than a similar condition non martini 924.

And yes, the A/C was typical 1970's A/C, the air flow and Temperature was like a Seals Fart. Not good.

To verify the 924's Martini status simply obtain the VIN and contact Porsche Cars Australia to obtain the cars model and delivery specifications.

I don't think a Martini is going to be worth more than a similar condition non martini 924.

And yes, the A/C was typical 1970's A/C, the air flow and Temperature was like a Seals Fart. Not good.

I have no recollection of what the XY was like in Summer with no A/C - cant have been that bad if I can't remember! As the years have gone by I really am far more precious! :o

Archived