General thoughts on the 964

Norm

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Peter, I made it through 208 pages!

mrbeveleyhills possibly summed up 964's best in his 10 April 2013 post:

I think a lot of us didn't WANT to like it upon release. First 911 to come without Fuchs and right off the bat there is a huge strike against. Sure I know some Euro models had phone dials but they were for chicks.

And the 964 seemed like a chick's car; the print ads when it came out were aimed more at the female persuasion and creature comforts, the racing program at the time had distanced itself from anything remotely recognizable on the road so it just seemed this was a car for café racers rather than earlier variants.

Tiptronic. This seemed like the ultimate capitulation by Porsche AG and tainted the car as a sissy that was also now way too complicated for diehard 911 fans, some of us were still trying to figure out Motronic.

Finally, those of who could not afford a new one (they were expensive!!) deplored the rear spoiler as it only deployed once you were over the speed limit which was an absurd weakness in the ever present ongoing war with the CHP [Californian Highway Patrol] , this was riding into battle partially naked.

Add all of this up and it provides enough ammo for someone who was looking for reasons to hate the car in the first place, the only really good thing was what the 964 did to the 84-89 Carreras, clobbered the price in half and suddenly you could buy a pristine 84 for 20 grand.

But history is written looking back and the one common theme I see running through this great thread is that pretty much everyone can’t believe how darn great the car is from the driver’s seat once you get in it. We have all been amazed too how much the car just grows on you- I was passing up the 73 more and more taking the 964 on any excuse to go out and the more I drive it the more I love it and the more it feels like the perfect 911.

So I'm convinced too!  A good 964 is on my shopping list.

Regards

Peter

PS: Also found out Walter Rohl ran a tiptronic equipped 964 car in the 'ring stage of the Carrera Cup in 1990 for publicity and came mid field. 

Archived