Wanted 911 Carrera 3.0 lt

Carrera86

• 1 month later...

I will probably sell my Carrera 3.0 when I finish my 1965 resto project but it will not be cheap( read $65Kish), I have always restored or replaced everything with the best parts regardless of price, and at present engine and gearbox have less than 2000 Ks since complete rebuild $30K with receipts.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Paul,

if you would consider a nice 3.2, have a look at 

I have since had the suspension completely rebushed, which has fixed the "suspension noises".

The price is low to allow the purchaser to have the head stud repaired and still not overcapitalise the car.

Emile.

Why has that car been on the market so long?

An observation.

It seems that people 'want' a C3, however they only want to pay SC money.

Some say that a SC is the same as a C3.

They differ in that :

58,000 911 SC's produced and 3687 C3's produced(15% were Factory RHD )

C3 had the same crank as the Carrera 2.7/RS.

C3 was and is faster than a Carrera 2.7/RS.

C3 was the first galvanized car from factory for Porsche.

C3 wasn't sold in the USA.

and to put a production comparison against the C 3.2 - 76,500 Units.

I've driven plenty of SC's and 3.2s. For me the C3 was a far more urgent and agile experience.

It may appear that Sheldon is holding out for the asking price, which is probably about 10% over market atm.

High Km's means nothing , providing the car has been well cared for, maintained and its PPI checks out. Buying on condition is always better than KM's.

+ a 35 year old car is going to have High Km's, especially one that is THIS MUCH FUN to drive.

Yes I own a C3 and I paid more for it than a similar SC(which, I could never find one in good enough condition) Because of its condition and that it was a 'chance' find.

However, if you truly want a C3, you're going to have to accept C3 Money. Or Buy a SC or a C3.2.

I have only had the experance of driving two SC's and while I might be a little biased, I agree with your observations wasserkuhl.

I thought Sheldon sold his C3.0, has he decieded to keep it?

I don't know if he sold it or not, I was just having a rant! Maybe he kept it. It was a stretch price though. Then again how much is a 1975 Carrera 2.7? 100k to start with and then head North.

I might be biased as well, but, The C3 just felt 'right' to me. I'd never got the 911 thing Until I drove a C3 and it hit me all at once.

Is it the gearing, weight, suspension or steering rack ratio that makes the C3 more urgent to drive?

Weight, only a small difference(lighter) so probably not.

Steering is all but the same as every 911.

Its the lighter Crankshaft from the 2.7 that gives it almost like a turbo rush from 3500Rpm, its spins up faster. When I first got mine I hit the Limiter ALOT as the car would just rocket up the revs and there was no aural/NVH signature to let me know it was doing high revs! It just flings from 3500 to 6300 in no time, pulling all the way.............

Later SC's and C 3.2's had heavier crankshafts in them.

I'm not saying the C3 is a better car though, It was just the 911 Model that hooked me.

The other items I like are the Pop out rear windows and the Periscope Head light washer jets.(although some SC's had the latter until My 1979 as an option)

and let's not forget the coolest looking badge I think in automotive history.  That "little" zero was a masterstroke and still delights me every time I see it:

Ok, I refrained from saying that, but you're right. It is uber-sub-zero-cool.

Interesting, this appears to be a US Car as the front Indicators are the longer type, found in the USA. It has a C3 Badge on its Rump and a desireable spoiler too(if its OEM and not a Glass copy).

the Carrera Script down the side is WRONG. In that it isn't a particularly good repro of the originals. + the Carrera script never was an option on SC's, even though technically they are 'Super-Carrera's'.

If it is a C3 then someone get onto it because its cheaper than a Las Vegas happy ending.

It'd be a Converted US SC though. The VIN will reveal all and the Case halve #'s could confirm if its a C3/930 Case.

and let's not forget the coolest looking badge I think in automotive history.  That "little" zero was a masterstroke and still delights me every time I see it:

Now I'm really confused. So your car is not a regular SC3.0 but rather a C3.0?.....

Nah, I've got a C3.2 because I didn't find a C3.o I wanted to buy.

The photo of the C3.o badge just happened to be on an engine cover the same colour of mine. I just liked the cracked and distressed paint in that particular photo too.

Archived