7 minutes ago, firstone said:

Hey, only good cat is a hungry cat.

The old fella I bought a rural property off said he had traps and baits and still had rat's, mice and snakes. Only rats n mice I see are being eaten. Not many snakes either. The cats are starving them out? Of course they get the odd bird but so does traffic. ?

ha ha, sorry mate, just stirring the pot.......

I posted this yesterday and deleted it because I was having a rant/vent... didn't realise there was an actual 'vent' thread!

What's the deal with machine shops... Lots of them have fancy nice looking websites that don't look like they were built that long ago and even include email and a contact form as an option to contact them (of course as well as a phone number).

I dont love calling businesses like machine shops because I know they are busy and often cant answer the phone.  Emails are a great idea for them - they can answer them before they start work for the day or at the end of the day.

I emailed 10 local machine shops about having some work done on my crank and heads. I got 2 replies out of 10 emails! One reply was "sorry, we dont work on porsche engines".
The other was bring all your stuff in and we will assess it and we can give you an idea of cost then".  Which is impossible because they are only open M-F.

That opens a whole new can of worms... what happens when I drop my stuff off and they assess it and then quote me a ridiculous amount? I have to go back and uncomfortably pick up my gear and say thanks but no thanks.... at which point they probably charge me for their time do 'assess' my crank and heads. I guess they do that because they assume that once you drop your stuff off, you wont be bothered to take it somewhere else, even if it is expensive.  

I guess my point is, if you're going to have a website including a contact form or email address - REPLY TO THE EMAILS!!

@AdRock

I had a similar experience recently when looking to have a 200mm long shift rod made for my Hargett shifter that broke and wanted some quotes. Hargett don't make the shifters or any parts for them anymore, so I sent emails with detailed photos and description of sizes etc to local machine shops, and 3 of the 4 emails (and calls) were not replied to with the 1 reply (from a company the other side of town) 'Sorry, we don't quote via email, so you will need you to deliver it and we will assess the part and quote accordingly, yet there is a $50 quoting fee payable prior to inspection' DELETE! 

I've got someone to make a new one (getting a quote from them was a story in itself), yet am not looking forward to the bill that is '$250 or thereabouts' for a 200mm x 20mm bit of metal rod ? 

@LeeM A $50 quoting fee?! What the hell are these people smoking?

I get that in trades like this, these people are "old school" and prefer to either have someone drop in or call them. In that case - don't have a website or promote an email address. Simple!

OR.... include on your website the best way to get a quote... eg "we dont quote via email". 

And lawyers charging a 15 minute phone call fee to discuss a new job ....... that's called "pre sales"  in my language.

And the same lawyers charging to read my email that said "Thanks, see you tomorrow morning'.   Cost me $6 to get that email response opened and read.

and and and and and

2 hours ago, Harvs11 said:

Mmmm, roadkill.?   Is the pensioner budget forcing you try new menu items?  

I had a station wagon that I adorned with stickers

RHS: 1. “I love cats....they taste like chicken”

2. “ Too many cats, not enough recipes”

LHS: 1. “ Lost your cat? Check under my tyres”

2. “ Cats flattened while you wait”

3 hours ago, OZ930 said:

I had a station wagon that I adorned with stickers

RHS: 1. “I love cats....they taste like chicken”

2. “ Too many cats, not enough recipes”

LHS: 1. “ Lost your cat? Check under my tyres”

2. “ Cats flattened while you wait”

Affectionately known as the Pussy Wagon. With apologies to David Reynolds.

Def feral, they're kept inside at night. Winston goes straight out and has one most mornings before I make my bfast.

I live right above the sugar cane which they love. Man brings the cane, cane brings the rats, rats bring the snakes and foxes. We get a heavier run when they start burning and harvesting. Yep they still burn. My choices are traps and baits or cats n dogs. I have dogs for the foxes so I can't use baits. I trap snake's and have them picked up. I get 2 or 3 of them each year. I've seen blacks and brown's and pythons. No control measures are ideal.

Those that don't take measures have chewing and nesting in there cars. ???

37 minutes ago, firstone said:

Def feral, they're kept inside at night. Winston goes straight out and has one most mornings before I make my bfast.

I live right above the sugar cane which they love. Man brings the cane, cane brings the rats, rats bring the snakes and foxes. We get a heavier run when they start burning and harvesting. Yep they still burn. My choices are traps and baits or cats n dogs. I have dogs for the foxes so I can't use baits. I trap snake's and have them picked up. I get 2 or 3 of them each year. I've seen blacks and brown's and pythons. No control measures are ideal.

Those that don't take measures have chewing and nesting in there cars. ???

Jesus....:wacko:Think I'll stay in good old safe Carrum Downer, with just home invasions and king hits outside pubs and things.  Much safer here...:Sweating: 

2 hours ago, Niko said:

Jesus....:wacko:Think I'll stay in good old safe Carrum Downer, with just home invasions and king hits outside pubs and things.  Much safer here...:Sweating: 

Don't forget the car jackings Niko ...

1 hour ago, firstone said:

??? @Niko

Did I mention the bull and jumper ants?

I avoid pubs, and home invaders can disappear in the country. ? 

Dangerous place BUT comes with the best country roads and variable hilly twistys all at your finger tips with F all traffic any time of day … and all in the sunshine!

2 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Dangerous place BUT comes with the best country roads and variable hilly twistys all at your finger tips with F all traffic any time of day … and all in the sunshine!

Well, when you say it like that. ?

I'm 2klm from 3 choices of twisties. If I take the cane road, (relatively straight ) I look directly at the boarder ranges (and it's changing colour) 7min to town. ?

I'd rather deal with the rural animals, native and feral. ?

52 minutes ago, firstone said:

Well, when you say it like that. ?

I'm 2klm from 3 choices of twisties. If I take the cane road, (relatively straight ) I look directly at the boarder ranges (and it's changing colour) 7min to town. ?

I'd rather deal with the rural animals, native and feral. ?

I was smacking around through same ranges many times over the past fortnight! Magic!!

16 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

This is the vent page so.... continuing on in this theme...

I just read in the local paper (THE LEADER/FRANKSTON STANDARD Aug 27) that two of our local morons , (brothers) who have been charged with over a hundred offences including carjackings, pursuits, burglaries, thefts, deceptions and arson etc etc...

Have been hiding from police and have been hard to catch.  

Finally cornered in a stolen ute, drove at police causing them to jump out of the way, with one of the offenders pointing what appeared to be a rifle out of the passenger side window at them.

One of the coppers fired a shot at them as they sped off.    

They have appeared in court where their solicitor explained all this crime spree was simply to feed their drug habits.

BUT GET THIS BIT......

according to their solicitor, these two darlings aged 23 and 26 now suffer from PTSD because of the encounter with police.

Give me a break.....

so now some of the blokes coming back from Afghanistan and Iraq etc are fighting to have their PTSD recognised and these two cretins claim the police have caused their PTSD.

Obviously a monetery compensation claim coming up against police.... 

WTF 

Vent over....

On 8/30/2018 at 10:27 PM, Cars And Coffee Byron Bay said:

And lawyers charging a 15 minute phone call fee to discuss a new job ....... that's called "pre sales"  in my language.

And the same lawyers charging to read my email that said "Thanks, see you tomorrow morning'.   Cost me $6 to get that email response opened and read.

and and and and and

Yep 'Effing thieves, that's all they are, get charged for a piece of paper and an envelope and, and, and. What $400 an hr is not enough, solicitors have to gouge every last cent.

We got charged a time based fee on phone calls, of course they kept encouraging us to call up when we had a question.

1 hour ago, Niko said:

This is the vent page so.... continuing on in this theme...

I just read in the local paper (THE LEADER/FRANKSTON STANDARD Aug 27) that two of our local morons , (brothers) who have been charged with over a hundred offences including carjackings, pursuits, burglaries, thefts, deceptions and arson etc etc...

Have been hiding from police and have been hard to catch.  

Finally cornered in a stolen ute, drove at police causing them to jump out of the way, with one of the offenders pointing what appeared to be a rifle out of the passenger side window at them.

One of the coppers fired a shot at them as they sped off.    

They have appeared in court where their solicitor explained all this crime spree was simply to feed their drug habits.

BUT GET THIS BIT......

according to their solicitor, these two darlings aged 23 and 26 now suffer from PTSD because of the encounter with police.

Give me a break.....

so now some of the blokes coming back from Afghanistan and Iraq etc are fighting to have their PTSD recognised and these two cretins claim the police have caused their PTSD.

Obviously a monetery compensation claim coming up against police.... 

WTF 

Vent over....

Pity we don`t do the cutting off hands over here, the pricks would have trouble doing that shit without hands.When the bloody hell does jail to protect the community come into play.

The world is upside down in so so many ways Niko. Crooks, in particular some immigrant types, drug addicts and recidivist criminals are not held accountable in any way proportionate to what the coppers are held. Need the ol skool armed robbery squad to fit them up, dangle them outta the top floor windows like the good ol days huh! Something needs to change .....Hmmm Charles Bronson Death Wish - now there's a thought!

1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

The world is upside down in so so many ways Niko. Crooks, in particular some immigrant types, drug addicts and recidivist criminals are not held accountable in any way proportionate to what the coppers are held. Need the ol skool armed robbery squad to fit them up, dangle them outta the top floor windows like the good ol days huh! Something needs to change .....Hmmm Charles Bronson Death Wish - now there's a thought!

I agree.....We need a .....STAR CHAMBER .