28 minutes ago, TINGY944 said:

Yep same, it's been thrown around for the last few years and it's getting tired.

I am getting a new bathroom and laundry and i have been keeping an eye on the build and trying to make sure everything is done the way i want, (i am fussy when it comes to the detail) someone has dropped the ball on the height of the vanity waste. Anyway my missus kept telling me to just let them do their job, we have a hanging vanity not a full length so now the vanity needs to be dropped 60mm, i know, doesn't sound like much but this then changes the gap to the mirror which now won't look as good. Not happy and with a couple of other little niggly things that have got up my nose this just tops it off, grrrr. I did my last bathroom and didn't have a problem.

If its specced correctly in your scope, and you have an HIA contract, they need to make it right... and don't worry, I understand exactly how much those little details matter, just got done with a big bathroom/kitchen renovation too, the contracts & scope came in handy a few times.

2 hours ago, JV911 said:

If I hear, "it is what it is" one more time I'm going to stab someone.

I've been trying to ween myself off of saying that, as it annoys me even when I say it! 

@TINGY944

From what I've learnt doing retail work, if the client sees one thing out of place, they'll look for another. It shouldn't be that hard to drop the floating vanity, so tell them to do it

I had this very particular woman coupla years ago wanted her whole 4 metre wardrobe I had just installed (exactly where she wanted it) moved over by 11mm so that her mini shoe rack would be flush with the robe end panel and door frame. She was none too pleased when I said she should have ordered it at 4011mm and kicked up a big stink with the office refusing to pay the $3500 balance. Turns out she bought the shoe rack after ordering the robe and it's her problem. To keep her happy, I ended up making her a neater shoe rack with left over materials the exact width with 2 extra shelves and made some extra cash ?

It will be ok, at the end of the day it's only 60mm but i distinctly remember standing there and discussing it with the builder and the plumber, it's just frustrating that's all.

@LeeM

it's not about nitpicking, it's about doing what we discussed, and you know what, if my level of expectation is above everyone else's i don't care, I'm paying out the dollars and i want it how i want it.

Ooh, that sounds a bit like, it is what it is:o

Yet it's 60mm that is going to piss you off everytime you look at it @TINGY944 

You're the client, and it doesn't matter how particular you are about it, it's their job to make you happy and do what you want. No tradie wants to undo their own work and I'm included, yet sometimes you have to to keep the peace and get paid

See this panel that isn't flush? (I didn't install it by the way) The client refused to pay the $70,000 balance because of it. You couldn't notice it from the side, yet he could see it when he was putting dishes away. It would annoy me personally, and I wouldn't have installed it like this, yet the months of to and fro from him and the kitchen company was ridiculous, as all that needed was to remove the panel and plane it a few mm. The bloke was very fussy though, as he got to the stage with the builder to have his smoke alarms reinstalled so that the flashing lights were central to his hallway when he looked up ? 

20180427_112226.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How the f..k do these non English speaking people attain a white card or any other cards that allows you to work on a building site? 

You can't talk with them as they have no idea what the hell they're saying, nor do they understand what you're saying, yet 5 out of 10 or more tilers and painters can't speak a damn word of English! I asked this bloke today what a PPE is? 'Eh?' ?

Who do you call if there is an emergency? 'Eh?' ?

Why are you wearing thongs and a white tank top on a building site? 'Eh?' ?

The site supervisor of a very big Australian building company then rolled up, and I asked him how the hell these people are able to work on their sites the way he is dressed and can't speak English AT ALL? 'They're willing to work, charge much less per hour and we need them here so we turn a blind eye to it' was the answer. ?

I told my missus about it, and she said when she had to get a White Card, there were new immigrants there who couldn't speak English and had an interpreter translate questions and assist filling out the forms. You're f.....g kidding me? Is that the Australian code for 'We don't give a shit' ?

I've just sent an email to Housing Industry Australia to have a whinge, as I am sick to death of these people disrespecting even the most minimal building site guidelines and codes, as it's f.....g dangerous for themselves and anyone else on a building site, and I include the building companies for blatantly allowing it to happen to ensure the house is finished on time. It's got to stop, as it seems profits are more of a concern than anything else on a building site! I know some of you are builders, so what's your opinion/explanation on that? 

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

How the f..k do these non English speaking people attain a white card or any other cards that allows you to work on a building site? 

You can't talk with them as they have no idea what the hell they're saying, nor do they understand what you're saying, yet 5 out of 10 or more tilers and painters can't speak a damn word of English! I asked this bloke today what a PPE is? 'Eh?' ?

Who do you call if there is an emergency? 'Eh?' ?

Why are you wearing thongs and a white tank top on a building site? 'Eh?' ?

The site supervisor of a very big Australian building company then rolled up, and I asked him how the hell these people are able to work on their sites the way he is dressed and can't speak English AT ALL? 'They're willing to work, charge much less per hour and we need them here so we turn a blind eye to it' was the answer. ?

I told my missus about it, and she said when she had to get a White Card, there were new immigrants there who couldn't speak English and had an interpreter translate questions and assist filling out the forms. You're f.....g kidding me? Is that the Australian code for 'We don't give a shit' ?

I've just sent an email to Housing Industry Australia to have a whinge, as I am sick to death of these people disrespecting even the most minimal building site guidelines and codes, as it's f.....g dangerous for themselves and anyone else on a building site, and I include the building companies for blatantly allowing it to happen to ensure the house is finished on time. It's got to stop, as it seems profits are more of a concern than anything else on a building site! I know some of you are builders, so what's your opinion/explanation on that? 

You've only just noticed Lee? It's in lots of industries ... California here we come....

49 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

You've only just noticed Lee? It's in lots of industries ... California here we come....

Been around since I've been in the industry, yet now it's much much worse.

I've had many run ins with them onsite when I've already set up in a room, and these flogs just move all my gear outside or wherever so that they can work in the room I'm in. I've punched one smartass in the mouth a couple of years ago for throwing my bag full of cordless tools across the room for no reason (I have a short fuse), I've thrown their gear outside when they've moved mine because they want to cook their curry crap. I've seen other tradies punch on with them then have their cars damaged when their mates roll up etc etc

Just last week I was upstairs working in a house at a major development, and this asshole starts painting gloss in the room I'm in and moves all my gear. Told him to f..k off real quick and get out or he goes off the balcony. The prick just shakes his head in a 'Me no understand' gesture. Here, go fetch your paint brush in the mud asshole, you understand now? I told the site manager to get him out of the house before I cracked him one which he did straight away, as he's known for doing it regularly. So why haven't you done anything about it? Idiots

I, and probably every other tradie I know are really sick of it, as they're just arrogant assholes, and sadly I'm now at and age and the point where I don't care what I say to them. You get the f..k out or I'll throw you out! One plumber I know is angrier than me, and he just tells them to f..k off out of the house even if they're nowhere near him.

This industry has turned to shit when the companies that are doing the building just don't care as long as it gets built and they get paid. They incessantly pay much less than retail, yet they still want everything for nothing which is probably why they employ these muppets who will work for $5 an hour.

6 hours ago, LeeM said:

Politicians ?? They do what they personally want, not what a majority of the Australian public want, so whoever I vote for won't make an ounce of difference 

You've only just worked that out?:unsure:

22 hours ago, LeeM said:

Gravity brings them far south

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-06/royal-hobart-hospital-redevelopment-plasterers-walk-off-the-job/10207316

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2018 at 1:32 PM, OZ930 said:

Julia Gillard is the new chairman of the board of Beyond Blue...........now that's depressing :unsure:

? First Jeff Kennet now her! Wonder who will be next, Turdbull? He seems pretty depressed now

• 2 weeks later...

So have moved to southern climes and tried to re register the cars. ‘‘Twas a most dissatisfying experience but to top it off, I wanted to register just in my name and not the wife’s. “yes sir we can do that, that will be 1.5% stamp duty on the value of the car”. “$1500 dollars!” I exclaimed. “Yes sir” said the helpful lady. “What is the penalty for not transferring the rego at all?”, I asked. “Not that much sir.” Was the response. 

I was the angriest I have been in a long time and possibly invented some new words of the swearing kind - never at the staff as not their fault they work for the dumbest set of rules ever!

2 hours ago, Harvs11 said:

Just because I’m selling unwanted stuff on Gumtree doesnt mean it’s worthless junk and I’ll accept any bullshit low ball offer.  This is why I tend to keep stuff I’m not using.   I hate dealing with bottom feeders. 

This is why I usually throw it out or dump it. 2 weeks ago the missus had a treadmill that others are selling for $250^ I put it on scumtree for $100. Reply 1. 'Will you take $50 and deliver it for me as I only have a small car (30kms from home)?' No

Reply 2. Will you take $60 and I will pay in 2 weeks when I get back in the state. Can you also deliver it?' No

Reply 3. Would you accept some succulents and some hair products that have only been used once (wrong colour hair dye) and can you deliver it?' Hahahaha, tempting, but no

Reply 4. 'I pay full price ok. I pay now to account, send email to ..........' F... off

Took it to Crime Converters and got $50 for it

Quite a few people are being robbed when selling cars on Gumtree when they meet up at a carpark or whatever (which is pretty stupid anyway), and I'll never advertise on there again

Turns out the two buyers were brothers trying on a low bid each.  Good thing I kept my cool and politely declined the low ball offers.  I got them both up to a number I was ok with.  Chair is SOLD!  Inspected and paid for tonight. Pick up tomorrow. 

Never doing a garage sale ever again. 

Dealers turning up an hour before start time demanding to look over stuff before its even laid out. .  They’d parked their vans right behind the car in the drive so I couldn’t even get stuff out and they didn’t want to move.     Told them to F off and come back in an hour or the garage door stays shut!  Rude pricks. 

1 hour ago, StevepGT3 said:

I’ve just sold a few things on eBay, first time I have tried it and it’s worked out ok, free listings and about 10% of sale price, plus I did the whole thing, photos to PayPal on the iPad. Had a few questions, but no lowballing 

I’ve been stung by eBay before so a bit wary.  Gumtree tends to be quick.  Hopefully I won’t need to go through this again for a while.  The chair I just sold was the last of the excess furniture from the 2 houses-into-one move last year.