Is the 997 series 2 GT3 destined to be a classic

Chris-p

Now that its confirmed that the next GT3 will be PDK only. I am interested in whether people think the 997 series 2 GT3 as the last manual GT3 will be a classic and collectible car in years to come.

What's everyone think?

C

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a well researched reason why Porsche have gone down the PDK route and not that I necessarily agree with them but I am somewhat trusting of them. It would seem that the 997 being the last manual would be collectible but that will depend on the uptake and general response to the PDK market - if it proves to be as good as they say it does, than anyone wanting a 'modern' Porsche may see the old manual as the lesser.

I personally will always see myself wanting the 'stick' rather than the 'paddle' but I may end up in the minority?

It's not just the demise of the 3rd pedal that will make it desirable, it's also the last (well as we know it) street GT3 to have the Mezger/GT1 derived motor. Strange thing is the 991 Cup still gets Mezger till at least 2014! So what pisses the loyalist/pursuit off essentially is the lack of pedigree in the new street GT3 drivetrain.. The 9A1 has not proven its self in Motorsport yet, I can level with that sentiment but what an exciting but most importantly 'usable' car the new 991 GT3 looks to be! :)

IMO all the GT2/3 cars "will" be collectible all to a certain degree, my pick would be the RS 4.0 though.

PS - I'd still take a stick shift.

...........given the demise of the manual that they will be sought after in years to come.

Given the rate of technological progress, in 10 years 99.9% of people will think of manuals the same way they think of:

Long Play records,

VHS video tape,

steam engines,

carburettors,

ignition points,

asbestos lagging,

Commodore 64 computer,

Epilady (suggested by my wife!),

any K-tel product,

electric can opener etc.

ie  just a technical curiosity of the past. :D

Good comments everyone. It will be interesting to watch what happens.

Without any real knowledge but just going on past trends I would expect initially the 997 s2 models to drop a bit in price as soon as the deliveries of the 991 model start as owners of current cars change over and more come onto the market but then over time I think the price will stabilize. But who knows....

Agree with the comments on the RS 4.0 and I know one of our members who will be very happy about that. In fact we were talking about it on Monday night and I suggested it might be time to park it for a while under a cover in a dark corner of the shed :) :) but then that's no fun and David does get a lot of enjoyment driving it. Plus what a blast driving along behind it.....

I think yes for all the same reasons as stated. Along with this anything with "RS" in the model name will always be worth money. 

#1 on my list of long term wants is a series 1 GT3 for the same reasons. I keep looking at the Red S1 GT3 at AHH. Unfortunately my bank account is not as willing. 

I own one car with floppy paddles and had a drive car with them and at first you use them a bit but very quickly you end up just keeping them in drive and not bothering with the paddles so you become less engaged with the car, so for me it will always be manual unless I win lotto and a car I lust after has no other option which is unlikely. I wouldn't be game to predict the future value of any Porsche and as it's doubtful I will ever be able to afford a GT3 I can only hope they depreciate rapidly so I have some hope lol

Given the rate of technological progress, in 10 years 99.9% of people will think of manuals the same way they think of:

Long Play records,

VHS video tape,

steam engines,

carburettors,

ignition points,

asbestos lagging,

Commodore 64 computer,

any K-tel product,

electric can opener etc.

I am thinking along the same lines as Peter here, at some point in the future.

Statistics from RTA show 74% of new licenses were auto in 2009 and the trend is for that to increase.  So once all the oldies that grew up on manual cars die out who will be interested in driving a manual car?

I think yes for all the same reasons as stated. Along with this anything with "RS" in the model name will always be worth money.

#1 on my list of long term wants is a series 1 GT3 for the same reasons. I keep looking at the Red S1 GT3 at AHH. Unfortunately my bank account is not as willing.

Forget that Zanzibar red one, have you seen the iris blue one? :)

They do say the 6.1 GT3 will be more collectible than the 6.2!

I am thinking along the same lines as Peter here, at some point in the future.

Statistics from RTA show 74% of new licenses were auto in 2009 and the trend is for that to increase. So once all the oldies that grew up on manual cars die out who will be interested in driving a manual car?

I can see the people from early 1900s laughing at those new cars which did not need a crank handle. Far less engaging. We would all rather crank a handle to get a sense of the engine, rather than just turning a key! Seems like Deja vu.

Long Play records,

VHS video tape,

steam engines,

carburettors,

ignition points,

asbestos lagging,

Commodore 64 computer,

any K-tel product,

electric can opener etc.

I see it more like CD's vs Vinyl. CD's were more advanced and became the norm but vinyl still has it's followers :) I know which one I would rather listen to.

I was thinking exactly the same thing as Nathan re Vinyl versus CD's. 

Must admit to being a late adopter to fuel Injection. Used to love being able to change jets and power valves in my Holley 4 barrel. In fact I had 4 different ones I used to swap around depending on what I was up to just to experiment. Hands permanently stunk of petrol....  

Oh the good ole days....  :lol:

Still I do like the concept of PDK so it will be interesting to watch in years to come the different developments and how people accept them. 

Long Play records,

VHS video tape,

steam engines,

carburettors,

ignition points,

asbestos lagging,

Commodore 64 computer,

any K-tel product,

electric can opener etc.

Sorry but

you are missing the point

we are not talking about 'most people'

we are wondering about those few people who want a collector car and might pay over the odds for it

why, there are people who even pay a lot of money for a manual, carburettored, unreliable F - word car

Sorry but

you are missing the point

we are not talking about 'most people'

dead right there, GT3 isn't a car "for everyone" so wouldn't appeal to the "everyone market" ever.

4.0's are already changing hands at good money in the US.. only time will tell though whether this upholds or not. 

in the end I think its a shame not to drive the hell out of it if you own one... that is why they were built! 

It is interesting considering that 911 models in a cab and auto or 4wd are the most expensive. These would normally be considered the more desirable options within a lot of cars but yet a 2wd coupe in a 911 commands much more on the second hand market. 

Yes, us Porsche peeps see things differently - they have always been a drivers car for the 'purist' and I guess this type of discussion reflects this.

A GT3 is a unique example as they are meant to be the most 'basic' and connected driving experience for the real enthusiast but I guess the real enthusiast may also be "slightly competitive" behind the wheel and the track aspect is where these cars are now being aimed. They maybe a 'manual' category in track events to come for us old skoolers! :P

If Andreas Preuniger arrived at the decision to make the GT3 PDK-only, then I am sure that it was a decision he took over a long period of time and very seriously.

The PDK in the GT3/RS will be different in its operation than the other models, taking on more of a 'Cup Car/RSR' feel (according to Andreas).

PDK will not be a deal breaker for over 80% of GT3 Customers, the other 20% will hang onto their 997.2 3.8's and 4.0's instead.

Will the 997.2 GT3/RS be a future classic? yes as like the 993, it is the-last-of-something = M & M; Mezger and Manual.

However, I'd want to study how many 997.2 GT3's were made and also how many were sold in Australia, then compare to the older ones to arrive at a decision about rarity. Production globally increased with every new generation, So I'd expect that there are alot more 997.2's than all that came before them.

Guarantee'd the RS 4.0 is the one to have, smell, lick and sleep with though.....

A 996 (mk1) clubsport that hasn't had a particularly hard life may well be the most pure and rarest one of them all.......... In speed yellow please.

Lets face it, any of them would be marvellous.

M&M! haha I like that! :)

7.1's seem to be more popular amongst the rennlister folk, there is big hate for the street version CL hubs. Cup CLs or 5 stud conversion on 7.2s is common practice amongst track guys.

What's funny is the racers go sequential + paddle shift lol irony

Archived