Changes to the PFA...

Kerry

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers David (Caver) for your additional support of the PFA.

I'm looking forward to seeing the lads and lassies in their individualised t-shirts! I hope everyone has a steady hand with the Sharpie! ;)

Kerry

Comment re the banner advertising - when using a tablet to look at the site you can mistakenly hit the banner with your finger while trying to scroll down the page. This then whizzes you off to their website which is a bit annoying after about the fifth time. Maybe a little click here for info box would be better?

Or have I just got fat fingers?

Comment re the banner advertising - when using a tablet to look at the site you can mistakenly hit the banner with your finger while trying to scroll down the page. This then whizzes you off to their website which is a bit annoying after about the fifth time. Maybe a little click here for info box would be better?

Or have I just got fat fingers?

Hi Barry,

Yeah, I know what you mean.... but I think it might be more a problem with tablets than anything else as I do this constantly on my iPad as well, not thus far with the PFA, but a host of others sites.

Unfortunately there is a relatively limited amount of layout changes that I can make, as well from the point of view of the advertisers, a simple click anywhere on their banner is much preferable to finding and clicking on a "more info" box.

I'm afraid this feature/flaw will probably be staying as is B, sorry.

Kerry

Hi Barry,

Yeah, I know what you mean.... but I think it might be more a problem with tablets than anything else as I do this constantly on my iPad as well, not thus far with the PFA, but a host of others sites.

Unfortunately there is a relatively limited amount of layout changes that I can make, as well from the point of view of the advertisers, a simple click anywhere on their banner is much preferable to finding and clicking on a "more info" box.

I'm afraid this feature/flaw will probably be staying as is B, sorry.

Kerry

I think you both have fat fingers! I have clicked a few on my tablet but all intentional. I much prefer the banner ad at the top than advertising between posts in a threads.

Kerry I tried linking to a youtube video in this post but its not working. I am just pasting the url into the message. When I save changes it removes the link.

I think you both have fat fingers! I have clicked a few on my tablet but all intentional. I much prefer the banner ad at the top than advertising between posts in a threads.

Kerry I tried linking to a youtube video in this post but its not working. I am just pasting the url into the message. When I save changes it removes the link.

I said DAMN! Can I take a trick PLEASE?!

What always worked before, you just can't trust to work after...

(Vent complete)

I'll write a ticket and find out how to get it sorted...   :mellow:  :rolleyes:

Thanks Nathan ;)

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Just caught up with this and put my EFT in, will set up pay pal at the weekend and get some goodies later.

have to get back on board more often, missing the banter from all the crowd.

cheers

Steve. 

All good Steve, we're not going anywhere!!! ;)

Thanks for your support mate, you do know that you don't need to have a PayPal account in order to use it? You can simply feed your credit card details in for a one-off payment, and then PP handles the rest. The advantage for me is not having to set up credit card facilities, but by the same token, making a direct payment is just as convenient - it just takes a few days.

Regardless, great to hear from you, look forward to seeing you out on an SMT sometime soon, as the days grow longer, and the mossy corners grow drier! ;)

Kerry

Hi All, another update...

I decided to create a new section on the forum where I can post specific PFA promotions and events, and where members can choose to view, or not, based on that member's particular interest. As a separate forum, members will know where to go to to follow up on the progress of a t-shirt order, or check the PFA Christmas party details (oh yeah, we having one this year!), or to find those companies that have supported the forum with sponsorship.

Thanks for your patience with these ongoing changes,

Kerry

Some questions on the changes.

So is the forum now PFA Inc?

With paid membership it becomes a formal organisation and I assume will need to be bound by the Govt’s new rules of Association that come into force from Nov 1

Forums can be great places, but people being what they are can be offended by others comments. What if this escalates and legal action occurs. Who is liable? The organisation or the members?

What about SMTs? These will now be classed as an organised event for members so is insurance cover taken out to cover negligence (if any resulting in an incident) by the organisers and therefore the members?

Just asking…

With paid membership it becomes a formal organisation and I assume will need to be bound by the Govt’s new rules of Association that come into force from Nov 1

Forums can be great places, but people being what they are can be offended by others comments. What if this escalates and legal action occurs. Who is liable? The organisation or the members?

What about SMTs? These will now be classed as an organised event for members so is insurance cover taken out to cover negligence (if any resulting in an incident) by the organisers and therefore the members?

Just asking…

Can o worms that one

Just asking…

Good points,

but, I don't "need" to be a financial member, I would be happy to be "someone who makes a donation because I like the site", or maybe "a contributing member", not sure this changes anything. Maybe I could be "a forum member who has purchased a sticker". Airhead is this a case of technicalities in the badge you apply to someone who makes a financial contribution to a group?

Just a bit more on Associations from NSW & VIC govt web sites.

NSW – About associations 

An incorporated association has its own legal identity separate from its members, providing protection to members in legal transactions.

An incorporated association can:

• enter into and enforce contracts, including the ability to hold, acquire and deal with property
  • sue or be sued
  • continue regardless of changes to membership.

While there are benefits to be gained from incorporation, there are also obligations. For example, incorporation requires the payment of application fees and requires the association to maintain proper financial and membership records and registers.

Incorporation is not compulsory and you may wish to seek advice from a solicitor, accountant, governing or funding body on whether incorporation is appropriate.

NSW Fair Trading’s Registry Services regulates incorporated associations registered under the Associations Incorporation Act 2009.

VIC - What is an incorporated association?

There are more than 38,000 incorporated associations in Victoria. They are clubs or community groups, operating not-for-profit, whose members have decided to give their organisation a formal legal structure. You can recognise an incorporated association by the word ‘Incorporated’ or the abbreviation ‘Inc.’ after its name.

When a club or community group incorporates, it becomes a ‘legal person’ – that is, a legal entity that stays the same even if its members change. It can enter into contracts in its own name; for example, to borrow money or buy equipment. This protects the individual members of the association from legal liabilities.

Victorian incorporated associations are registered with Consumer Affairs Victoria under the Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012.

I'm not a lawyer but it seems you have the choice to become an association or not??????

Cheers Barry for the questions,

I think you may be misunderstanding the structural nature of this forum. It is a private business not an association or club. As such, the members are subscribers much in the same way that a modern newspaper provides a digital platform for information sharing, promotions, and endorsed events. PFA subscriptions entitle the financial membership to offer their assistance to the running of the forum as well as participating in specific promotions organised by the host business. I must point out also that the PFA is committed to ensuring that there is still a general membership with access to the vast majority of services for free. My agenda has always been to create a platform which sits apart from the often hierarchical structures that clubs and associations need to adopt out of necessity in order to find a workable structure amongst a group of volunteers. Mine is different to those in that it clearly is a business structure, with one person in control, hopefully in the role of a benevolent dictator, rather than that of an executive, committee and punter pyramid.

As far as any legal actions resulting from quarrels between members on the forum, the PFA has a moderatorship whose sole purpose is to moderate the posts on the forum. We have done this many times over the last few years, adjudicating upon the tone and content of member's posts, with resultant admonishments and even bannings occurring when the "Code of Conduct, Rules and Guidelines" (at the top of every forum page) are crossed. This is the same for any forum whether free, or subscribed to. 

SMTs are not formally organised by the PFA, rather are events organised by individuals within its membership using the message-board format to facilitate social gatherings. I will be organising driver training and xmas party events for members in the future, however these are covered by the insurances held by the third party suppliers we engage - i.e.: a bar or driving school. SMT's are the domain of the individual and their responsibility to adhere to public area road rules and state laws. I can't see where the forum has any responsibilities to these events. 

I hope this makes clear my position, and allays any concerns you had.

Cheers,

Kerry

Thanks for clarification Kerry, that's good to know

I've been following up the hire of Mt Cotton skidpan up here for a day for something different from SMT's - maybe we could tie it into a SE QLD PFA Christmas party

As we say down here Russ: I'm IN!

I am meaning to have a chat with you all about the various states celebration of the birth of christ (:)) and a skidpan sounds like the perfect halo shape!

Plenty of time, but you're probably right that bookings need to happen.

We'll chat more about this...

Kerry

Archived