Wanted: 944 Turbo S (guards red preferred)

OzJustin

Mark - Those other two look like well cared for cars but my preference is definately red.  My last two cars have been grey/silver so I'm determined not to own another silver car ha!

Bruce - Totally agree the turbo kick is addictive.  I currently own a Nissan 200SX (turbo) so I have a niggling suspicion that moving sideways to an S2 would leave a small gap without the boost.

For those S2 owners (Mark, 9fan etc), I understand that the camshaft chain & tensioner/rollers & pads (x2), timing belt, balance shaft belt and water pump must be replaced every 3 years or 50 000km (with retensioning at 1 000 and 25 000km)?  Is there anything I'm missing?  Assuming this was due/or just for peace of mind how much do parts and labour normally equate to?

All Porsches are great cars mate, find the one that fits you best and drive the wheels off it.

All of the above was done when I bought my S2 so I am unsure of the cost. One thing I can say is nothing for a Porsche is cheap, but when you replace a Porsche part is lasts for a long time. I owned Brock commodores and other muscle cars before the S2,compared to other cars Porsche parts are very expensive there's no doubt, but it is worth it......

The only negative I have for the 944 is they don't hold their value at all. 911's are far superior to the front engine cars in that respect. If you buy one now for $18k, spend another $20k in mods, at the end of the day you might get $21k - $25k back for it. The cars you are looking at now for $18k were selling for $26k when I bought mine in 2011, hopefully they have plateaued a bit now that they are sub $20's.

Good luck in the search.

Those are some interesting numbers guys.  Only 160ish S2's in total made it to Australia?  If that's true then there's no doubting their rarity.  Has anybody ever sent a request to Porsche Australia for the official AU sales figures through the 944 life cycle?  Obviously we would have to add a few UK imports to that list though. :)

Not sure of total numbers (can't find the right book at the moment), but only 72 944 S2's came into Australia in 1990.  I need to look harder for the actual figures for Australia, too many Porsche books...

Overall production:

Porsche 944 (S, S2)

1986 - 1993

944 S            7,324

S2 Coupe      9,352

S2 Cab          6,980

Porsche 944 Turbo

1985 - 1988

Coupe            17,627

S Coupe           1,635

Coupe (89 - 91) 3,738

Cab (89 - 91)      528

So the rarest 944 by far is the 1989 to 1991 Turbo Cabriolet. 

Reference source: The affordable Porsche by Iain Ayre.

Interesting numbers there Mark.  I've got one of the Peter Morgan 944/968 books but I'm pretty sure it only has a table showing US and ROW (rest of world) numbers.  Would be good to have a breakdown just for AU :)

• 1 month later...

Those are some interesting numbers guys.  Only 160ish S2's in total made it to Australia?  If that's true then there's no doubting their rarity.  Has anybody ever sent a request to Porsche Australia for the official AU sales figures through the 944 life cycle?  Obviously we would have to add a few UK imports to that list though. :)

I emailed Porsche Australia regarding this and  was told they don't have that info. I tend to think it was more of a case of the person I emailed couldn't really care less about 944's and so didn't bother pursuing it or it was a hassle to dig up info. I will email Porsche Germany and see if they can provide any info.

Edit: I have sent an email so I hope head office is more helpful

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my adventures guys.

First up I ran the VIN number with Porsche Australia and discovered that the car is actually an early 1988 model so is NOT a Turbo S.

I also had the car inspected by T&D Auto yesterday and was quite disappointed with the results.  The car has no Turbo S options present and there were a number of cosmetic, mechanical and electrical issues. I knew the car was cosmetically scruffy (and had budgeted that in), however the mechanical and electrical aspects left a lot to be desired.  The car has good potential with the modifications, however, it would take a significant sum to bring it back to its former glory.  This kind of sum is not what I was willing to invest.

I'll leave it at that on the public forum.  Anybody who wants further details feel free to PM me.  :)

Archived