Buying a car from interstate, what's involved?

Orion03

If I am in Melbourne, and I buy a car in Brisbane, what's involved?

The stamp duty is paid in Victoria?

The Rego has to be transferred? The plates are new?

RWC has to be done in Victoria before the transfer of Rego?

I'll have to do a PPI on the car in Brisbane by a reputable shop and then negotiate the price and fly up. Do final inspection,  finalise the deal and drive the car back to Melb (which would be fun).

Can I take out insurance on the car and then change the number plate details in the insurance once I get the new plates?

Thanks for your input.

I bought mine from Perth to Brisbane without plates or rego and had it shipped.

Technically, as far as I am aware, cars can't be transferred if you don't have an address in the state that you purchase from. This means that if you aren't a QLD resident you can't transfer the QLD rego into your name. You can get temporary rego to enable you to drive the car out of QLD down to Vic without plates, then get a roadworthy in Vic and off to motor reg. Search tmr.qld.gov.au for more accurate information.

Good luck!

do PPI

get insurance

fly to Brisbane

get a QLD 'unregistered vehicle permit' - http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Registration/Buying-or-selling-a-used-vehicle/Moving-unregistered-vehicles.aspx

drive car home

or drive on someone elses registration and do the rest (hand in old plates and register car) when you get to VIC?

I'll have to do a PPI on the car in Brisbane by a reputable shop and then negotiate the price and fly up. Do final inspection,  finalise the deal and drive the car back to Melb (which would be fun).

Can I take out insurance on the car and then change the number plate details in the insurance once I get the new plates?

Thanks for your input.

As I purchased my vehicle from Adelaide, I did the following..(note this is based on the current SA registration being valid and not expired)

1. Undertook a PPI
  2. Flew to Adelaide, inspected the vehicle, shook hands and handed over a bank cheque.
  3. Wrote up a contract of sale which both the seller and myself signed (done for proof of transaction)
  4. Signed the transfer of rego/ownership paperwork (from SA RTA). Note that this would not transfer the SA rego into my name as I didn’t live in SA, but was used as a proof of transaction when I transfer the rego to VicRoads
  5. Had organised a cover note over the phone the previous day via Shannons
  6. Drive back to Melbourne
  7. About a week later organised a RWC from a local garage and booked an appointment with Vic Roads to transfer the rego to Vic plates. Note that as the vehicle had current interstate rego (that had not expired), it was a non-inspection appointment so I did not have to present the vehicle to Vic Roads
  8. Turned up at the appointed with the following paperwork – Proof of Purchase (signed contract/SA Transfer of Ownership form), RWC and of course the SA number plates which you have to hand in.
  9. Once VIN/engine numbers were confirmed (matching numbers!!), new rego slip was printed. Paid the 12 months rego and stamp duty
  10. Once that is done you will get issued with your plates (I went for black and white slim lines) and off you go!!

Pretty much as G5032 said.

I followed the same process from Sydney.

Note that if there is substantial rego on the vehicle you can claim a refund of the interstate reg after it is transferred to Vic.

Once that is done you will get issued with your plates (I went for black and white slim lines) and off you go!!

Do they give you the plates right away?

Once VIN/engine numbers were confirmed (matching numbers!!), new rego slip was printed. Paid the 12 months rego and stamp duty

I am confused with this, does this mean you took the car there and they checked the Vin/engine numbers? or do they get this information from the RWC paperwork?

Do they give you the plates right away?

I am confused with this, does this mean you took the car there and they checked the Vin/engine numbers? or do they get this information from the RWC paperwork?

The plates are issued on the spot (that’s if you don’t have personalised plates ect, I just went with the next letter number combo however opted for the black and white slimline plates

They input the VIN number that is on the RWC, the lady had trouble finding mine which gave me minor heart palpitations until she realised that pre 88 cars (I think) they need to enter the VIN number as the chassis number..or the other way around I can't remember. Itw as all in the system and the engine number on my PPI also matched what was in the national database.

I have bought a number of cars from interstate all without issue. It is really a very straightforward exercise once you have checked with  the state of purchase registration authority of the vehicle's validity. eg finance.leans, history etc.Easy to obtain online these day for a reasonably small fee.

The stamp duty is paid in Victoria? YES, AND I FIND IT THE MOST PAINFUL EXPERIENCE KNOWN TO MANKIND. BLOODSUCKERS

The Rego has to be transferred? The plates are new? YES. IF YOU HAAVE YOUR OWN SPECIAL PLATES IN STORAGE THAT CAN ALSO BE DONE

RWC has to be done in Victoria before the transfer of Rego? YES, THE VEHICLE HAS TO COMPLETE A VIC.RWC

I'll have to do a PPI on the car in Brisbane by a reputable shop and then negotiate the price and fly up. Do final inspection,  finalise the deal and drive the car back to Melb (which would be fun). UP TO YOU IF YOU FEEL AS THOUGH YOU NEED TO OBTAIN A PPI

Can I take out insurance on the car and then change the number plate details in the insurance once I get the new plates? YES, YOU NOTIFY THE INSURANCE COMPANY OF THE TIME OF PICK UP AND YOU ARE THEN COVERED FROM THAT DATE ON. I HAVE MY INSURANCE WITH SHANNON'S AND THEY ARE A FANTASTIC COMPANY TO DEAL WITH WHEN GETTING INVOLVED WITH THESE SORTS OF PURCHASES.

DAVE

Thanks for your input.

Actually when I bought my 996 in July this year I drove it home to Brisbane and the Victorian RWC wasn't required in qld - I had to have another QLD one done when I got it home ..

But !

If you require finance they'll need it done in Vic before they sign off on the deal ..

Thanks for your input.

What is the car you are buying?

I am in Brisbane and also work in the motor trade.. I might be able to have a look for you if you like.

Don't overthink the process.

Get the VIN and go to www.carhistory.com.au and do a check on the history of the car. 

If all good, get your ppi done.. either porsche centre Brisbane or T&D Automotive.

If that's good, you could either do the deal without seeing the car or as I prefer, to fly up with the bank cheque with the intent of driving it back.

Feel free to give me a call on 0418 316 203 if you'd like to discuss.

It really is an easy process and similar to buying locally.

How many cars have you bought before?

Does www.carhistory.com.au do the financial check too? Thanks for reminding me about that.

The car is the 2005 997 S that is advertised at the moment in Silver.

Yes T&D auto seems to be the go, I have contacted them already.

I'll just jump on the plane with a bank cheque and drive her home.

I'll only bought around 5 cars before... I tend to keep them for a long time.

No worries about finance , doing the deal with cash I have in the bank.

Amanda did you buy the car from them? Or did they just do you a favour?

And isn't a 2005 car to new for Shanons?

I financed some of my car and insured it via Phil V at Porsche Brighton. So I just had them do the RWC + Reg. give them a call and ask what they charge to do a RWC and Reg for you. This is easy stuff for them as you can imagine. You drop it off and pick it up with vic reg! Easy!

Oh so call Phil Verwoert and get an ins quote from him as well.

I bought my car privately too. I found one I liked the look of. Found the seller to be honest and easy to deal with. That gave me confidence. He sent me photos of any little marks on the car. I made an offer pending PPI. I booked the PPI in with Parramatta Porsche at a time suitable to the seller. He dropped it off. Then PP phoned me, walked around the car and explained what they saw condition wise. I paid them and they emailed me the report. PP said it was the type of car they would sell on their lot - that gave me a good feel for the car.

Finance wise - the seller completed required paperwork for Phil. I got a bank cheque, flew down and met my car! Shook hands, chatted I could see he loved the car. And off I went home to Melb. The NSW plates were left on the car but we had paperwork verifying the sale.

The biggest thing is - you need to have an element of trust bw both parties to make this work. I was eying off a speed yellow 987 but I didn't like the sound of the seller. Car is still for sale months later.

Bugger, the car has no park assist, i.e. no reversing sensors. don't know if I want a car without any reversing sensors.

And his price is not negotiable.

and he only agrees to PPI after all terms agreed.

ah well I'll keep on looking... but hey the elise sale is finalised, cheques have been exchanged, so this buy Porsche project is moving along.

• 1 month later...

RWC done,

Appointment with VicRoads made.

need to bring RWC, plates, drivers license, Vicroads Rego Form, Receipt of Sale.

All looking good.

Just have to pay more $$ to the government... what for? what for? Just a tax on a tax?

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a different approach that i accidentally adopted!

• Bought the car in WA, handed over cash, got a written receipt and filled in WA transfer forms which the previous Owner signed and lodged
  • Car was then delivered to Vic
  • Booked in at VicRoads to have rego changed over to Vic plates
  • Arranged RWC
  • In meantime, received a letter from Transport WA with my name and address, confirming that i am now the Owner and requesting ID and garage address
  • Fronted up at VicRoads with all paperwork - they say there is no need to transfer rego to my name.  Car is already in my name in WA as evidenced by Transport WA letter.  All i need to do is cancel WA reg and start Vic reg
  • Vicroads quick inspection of engine number and VIN to confirm it matches the papers
  • I fitted my plates to the car while they generated Vic rego sticker
  • Paid 12 months rego and away i go
  • No transfer fees or stamp duty paid in either state saving me a couple of grand
  • VicRoads advised i needn't have arranged a RWC - not required if no change of ownership
  • WA plates sent back to WA to refund balance of rego

All a bit strange - unlike governments to not have their hand out but happy to take it and run!

Archived