Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

22 hours ago, symsy said:

Was at nine auto.. was selling privately .. very well presented car , yes interesting to see what 964's are actually selling for now , if it sold .

Yes, same car, immaculately presented. Seems good cars are changing hands with an indication of the market picking up sales wise after the relatively fallow recent period.

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

He's finally dropped the price.  Has been $46500 for a good 6-9 months

I saw a 98-99 Black Coupe 4 starting at 32k at Manheim on Wednesday. Manual. Very good paint etc. Might go up again as no one bid.

Gents

I have an interesting question for the PFA brains trust.

Do any finance companies offer car leases for classic cars? I understand that given classics are rarely depreciating, it makes it quite difficult to properly structure the lease. But has anyone had any success?

Alternatively, has anyone figured out an interesting “tax efficient” buying scheme for classic cars? For example, you could negatively gear a “drive a supercar for the day” style business fairly easily? It would never make more money than the interest repayments on a fully borrowed car. 

Happy to move to a different thread if preferred. 

Cheers

Jono

Before selling my SC, I spoke with a novated lease company about the company buying back the SC from me. They seemed happy enough to do this and I it would make a lot of sense if you knew a car had a few big expenses on the horizon (so that the expenses could be funded pre-tax).  I decided not to do this in the end however believe it could be done. 

3 minutes ago, bear924 said:

Before selling my SC, I spoke with a novated lease company about the company buying back the SC from me. They seemed happy enough to do this and I it would make a lot of sense if you knew a car had a few big expenses on the horizon (so that the expenses could be funded pre-tax).  I decided not to do this in the end however believe it could be done. 

Interesting. Do you recall which company it was? 

37 minutes ago, JonoF said:

Gents

I have an interesting question for the PFA brains trust.

Do any finance companies offer cr leases for classic cars? I understand the given classics are rarely depreciating, it makes it quite difficult to properly structure the lease. But has anyone had any success?

Alternatively, has anyone figured out an interesting “tax efficient” buying scheme for classic cars? For example, you could negatively gear a “drive a supercar for the day” style business fairly easily? It would never make more money than the interest repayments on a fully borrowed car. 

Happy to move to a different thread if preferred. 

Cheers

Jono

I am sure the forum has accountants who can advise. I think the days have past us where you could liquidate your toys as a tax write off. Even Tradies are getting whacked with the 80k Hiluxes they drive around in. 

My suggestion is be really cautious and think long and hard. I have looked into this in the past and its a very grey area probably best avoided. Self managed Super isn't an option, I researched that. If you go the investment route (or even use the car as an "advertising platform") what you save on GST, you get screwed over with FBT and other areas. 

Dave

The following is in reference to novated leasing, I'm unsure whether it is true for general leasing through a business etc.

I agree that FBT is a major factor when considering whether it's worth doing a lease. The key thing about FBT is that it can be offset by the equivalent amount of post tax funds.

For example - $100k car is subject to a $20k FBT cost. The FBT cost can be offset by paying $20k of post tax, per year into the car fund. $20k is a significant amount of money (in terms or car running costs), so therefore it only makes sense if the total running costs of the car for that year are unusually high. The only way a car would cost this much would be:

- Lease the vehicle for one year only. This would allow you to pay down 45% of the car's value ($45k in the example above), which would mean you'd get $25k of pretax money (presuming the car's value didn't decrease over that time). Key to this strategy is to purchase a non depreciating car. 

- Lease the car over a high maintenance period. If a car was visually in a fair condition (as in, someone will happily loan against it)  however was due for an engine overhaul. I imagine it would be possible to lease the car for a year and complete the engine work (or similar)1 in this period. Once again, the engine work would need to be greater than 20% of the car's value, otherwise it would make no sense to lease. 

When considering this, one needs to also consider the hassle of organising the lease and the high funding costs associated with leasing (my calcs suggest most novated leases have an interest rate of ~10-12%).

As a disclaimer - I'm not an accountant or someone who knows anything about leasing. I'm just a guy who does lots of kms in a dd and has spent some time understanding novated leasing so that I can reduce my commuting costs as much as possible. My typical approach is to purchase the least expensive car that can be leased and also meets my requirements. I then lease for as long as possible and use the difference in FBT costs and running costs to generate reduced operating costs overall... this equates to about $4k per year post tax. 

1 hour ago, Ozvino said:

My suggestion is be really cautious and think long and hard. I have looked into this in the past and its a very grey area probably best avoided. Self managed Super isn't an option, I researched that. If you go the investment route (or even use the car as an "advertising platform") what you save on GST, you get screwed over with FBT and other areas. 

Dave

I know someone who has a Kremer 934 in his super fund.  It's not even in the country and I don't think he's ever driven it, that is a real shame...  But bloody good asset to have though!!!

32 minutes ago, bear924 said:

The following is in reference to novated leasing, I'm unsure whether it is true for general leasing through a business etc.

I agree that FBT is a major factor when considering whether it's worth doing a lease. The key thing about FBT is that it can be offset by the equivalent amount of post tax funds.

For example - $100k car is subject to a $20k FBT cost. The FBT cost can be offset by paying $20k of post tax, per year into the car fund. $20k is a significant amount of money (in terms or car running costs), so therefore it only makes sense if the total running costs of the car for that year are unusually high. The only way a car would cost this much would be:

- Lease the vehicle for one year only. This would allow you to pay down 45% of the car's value ($45k in the example above), which would mean you'd get $25k of pretax money (presuming the car's value didn't decrease over that time). Key to this strategy is to purchase a non depreciating car. 

- Lease the car over a high maintenance period. If a car was visually in a fair condition (as in, someone will happily loan against it)  however was due for an engine overhaul. I imagine it would be possible to lease the car for a year and complete the engine work (or similar)1 in this period. Once again, the engine work would need to be greater than 20% of the car's value, otherwise it would make no sense to lease. 

When considering this, one needs to also consider the hassle of organising the lease and the high funding costs associated with leasing (my calcs suggest most novated leases have an interest rate of ~10-12%).

As a disclaimer - I'm not an accountant or someone who knows anything about leasing. I'm just a guy who does lots of kms in a dd and has spent some time understanding novated leasing so that I can reduce my commuting costs as much as possible. My typical approach is to purchase the least expensive car that can be leased and also meets my requirements. I then lease for as long as possible and use the difference in FBT costs and running costs to generate reduced operating costs overall... this equates to about $4k per year post tax. 

My wife did her 987 through a Novated Lease, she is Midwife / Lactation Consultant working for a public hospital.  Car was around 8 years old at the time (2005 car).  Macquarie Leasing was happy to lease a car that old at that time, 5 year lease on a $48k car.  I know the Boxster is a depreciating asset, but the value at the end of the lease (December this year) will be probably $30ishk, but Residual Payout is about $12k from memory.  We are debating whether we keep the car or do it all over again, probably will keep at this stage.  Whilst I haven't had a chance to pull out my CCH Master Tax Guide yet (I am a bean counter...), I think there is still a provision which potentially taxes the difference between sale value and payout value if sold, so we will need to tread carefully around that one.  OK had a look at this - this appears to be more a problem where the person with the car is an associate of the taxpayer paying for the car, eg director or shareholder of company, so this would appear to be more of a problem for those in private enterprise......  Moto - talk with your accountant....

Our Novated Lease has a fairly generous maintenance & tyre component, which I hoped would cover an IMS bearing and clutch replacement near the end of the lease, but we have had a fairly regular tyre bill, and a secondary airpump replacement via the dealer consumed a heap of what I hoped we could keep up our sleeve.  Lesson to self, shouldn't have waited so long to move to an independent for servicing, may have been a much smaller bill...)

But, looking back, I realise that the Macquarie interest rate is pretty high, next time I will try to source my own finance and see if Maxxia will work with that, and next time will look carefully at the add-on insurances they manage to sneak in - i.e. I don't think we need payout shortfall insurance when buying a 2nd hand Porsche, that was a shitload....

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I know someone who has a Kremer 934 in his super fund.  It's not even in the country and I don't think he's ever driven it, that is a real shame...  But bloody good asset to have though!!!

Why is it in his superfund? If its overseas it'll probably never even get a look in from the ATO.

17 hours ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

I am looking to dip my toe into the 993 TT market if anyone knows someone with one in the garage they are considering off loading. 

Hi I've got a 993 TT, Australian delivered, ocean blue, 74000K's. Car is in Perth at OCD (obsessive car detailing) they have photos on there website. 

Cheers

Ron

Who dares wins ... $115k on the spot and someone will now pick up a top value hotrod ... they must be sick of holding the cost for the last 6 months....

1999 Porsche 911 GT3 996 Manual

•  
  •  
Odometer
56,757 km
Body
Coupe
Transmission
Manual
Engine
6cyl 3.6L Petrol
"HUGE REDUCTION IN PRICE 7 DAYS ONLY 1999 996 PORSCHE GT3 RARE CLUBSPORT EDITION Porsche GT3..."

1 minute ago, Troubleshooter said:

Who dares wins ... $115k on the spot and someone will now pick up a top value hotrod ... they must be sick of holding the cost for the last 6 months....

1999 Porsche 911 GT3 996 Manual

•  
  •  
Odometer
56,757 km
Body
Coupe
Transmission
Manual
Engine
6cyl 3.6L Petrol
"HUGE REDUCTION IN PRICE 7 DAYS ONLY 1999 996 PORSCHE GT3 RARE CLUBSPORT EDITION Porsche GT3..."

Too soon! Too soon!

Put the price back up for a few months please!