Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

34 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

To be fair, I'm in conversation back n forth with him atm and he comes across as a nice guy. Just needs a few questions here n there to unearth the originality of the car, which he's trying to answer. We all have our different strategies for achieving our highest price and this one's no different . Good luck to him to get his highest but if it's over $70k I wont be paying it....

If he was legit, he'd have all that info prepared and just copy paste each time someone txts or emails him. Only need to write it once. Not that hard, really. Otherwise, not providing detail and just asking people to send an offer in good faith, raises RED flags for me. Run away....

33 minutes ago, James P said:

Ask for his phone number & have a chat or just go over & see it, if he wont give out his number its probably the same guy

5 minutes ago, Philbee said:

If he was legit, he'd have all that info prepared and just copy paste each time someone txts or emails him. Only need to write it once. Not that hard, really. Otherwise, not providing detail and just asking people to send an offer in good faith, raises RED flags for me. Run away....

I won't get off my arse unless it's a screaming bargain or it's something I really want ... It's no bargain imo at $70k from the info I have asked from him. He's courteous and answered most questions in our email pingpong. 

Here are the main points. It has no books or service history at all. I'ts not the original motor but it is a 3.0ltr apparently. The K's can't be verified in any way. It seems, and most probably is, the original colour but not known if it's original paint. Delivered with front n back spoilers but no longer on car or have them.

Imo, like most SC's at this stage of cond probably needs $15 to $20 spent to sharpen it up in most areas or drive as is if it's brought for the right price

Guys like this shit me, haven't got time, well welcome to life, what, your the only one?

Don't know the market, bullshit. Your selling a Porsche you will have some idea otherwise you would not have put 70k on it. You have also taken into consideration that it has a chequered service history with no books and non verifiable km history but now that you got 15 people chasing the car you are second guessing the price you put on it so now decide to have a Dutch auction.

9 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

Guys like this shit me, haven't got time, well welcome to life, what, your the only one?

Don't know the market, bullshit. Your selling a Porsche you will have some idea otherwise you would not have put 70k on it. You have also taken into consideration that it has a chequered service history with no books and non verifiable km history but now that you got 15 people chasing the car you are second guessing the price you put on it so now decide to have a Dutch auction.

I believe he knows and has known all along and prior to listing, exactly what he's doing ... and the lack of info in the ad is just a part of it - to hook in a buyer who doesn't do homework.., they are out there and rule number one in the sellers handbook is to try and snare one. You only need one. Imo all strategies are fair in buying n selling (provided you're not an arsehole or deceitful, dishonest)

3 hours ago, JLD said:

So the brown SC is at $58k now.....

... and says deposit taken

It was still at $69k yesterday but I noticed a few days back he deleted from his advert text  "therefore, I am asking everyone to put forward their best offer together with any conditions pertaining to their offer, from there, I will then call one or two of the highest offers.

Looks like the expected huge offers were not forthcoming and I  was on the money in my mind at $60k

3 hours ago, Jwitt74 said:

Well somewhat answering my own question... went and had a quick look. Too much cosmetic damage for me but I am quite fussy.

2 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

How bad are we talking?

Couple of large stone chips on the hood (looked like they were filled with a pen), drivers door had been opened into objects many times, decent scuff above the drivers side rear guard.  Then there was the interior - every contact point quite scratched up like the owner had 10 rings on each finger.

I literally spent under a minute looking and saw enough to walk away.  I only glanced at the tyres (Michelin Pilots) and the surface looked like my old go-kart slicks after a 40 degree day.  Not sure if that's just a trait of that particular tyre.

Apparently they had a buyer before Christmas but it fell through on finance, after the buyer completed a PPI.  Make of that what you will but I suspect they were drawn in by the free coffee.

On a positive note, there seem to be quite a few 997's coming onto the market.  I've given up trying to find a 993 but still tinkering with the idea of a 996.2.

Thanks for the info. I was in the area tomorrow and I was thinking of going to see it. You saved me some time.

2 hours ago, Jwitt74 said:

On a positive note, there seem to be quite a few 997's coming onto the market.  I've given up trying to find a 993 but still tinkering with the idea of a 996.2.

That's true. Big variation in price on 997s thought. Early C2s are around the $80k mark. C2S and C4Ss demand a much higher premium.

Were the 3.8s that much better?

That's an interesting question - go onto Pistonheads and read up on bore scoring on the 3.8 engines. Theres also a really good diagnosis on the bigger engine's bore quality and ovality problems from Barry Hart @ Hartech, the M96 engine guru (www. hartech.org) in the UK. The smaller 3.6 engine still suffers from ovality and scoring but not quite as bad as the 3.8, which has thinner liners to accommodate the bigger pistons iirc.

2 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

That's an interesting question - go onto Pistonheads and read up on bore scoring on the 3.8 engines. Theres also a really good diagnosis on the bigger engine's bore quality and ovality problems from Barry Hart @ Hartech, the M96 engine guru (www. hartech.org) in the UK. The smaller 3.6 engine still suffers from ovality and scoring but not quite as bad as the 3.8, which has thinner liners to accommodate the bigger pistons iirc.

I read somewhere that bore scoring is now considered more common than IMS failure but it's less destructive.  Expensive nonetheless.

Here's a link to one of the Hartech guides - I haven't read it yet:  https://www.hartech.org/images/downloads/Hartech Engine Guide (interim).pdf

Believe the S also has PASM as standard, different wheels and brakes (?).  I've found it difficult to find useful Australian reviews circa 2005 but sales brochures are probably your best bet.  I'm seeing a $15-$20k premium for the S at the moment but the S cars I've personally inspected have been in better condition so not apples/apples.

4 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

That makes sense if they are starting with the same block for both 3.6 and 3.8. Is that the case here?

TBH I'm a little over the horsepower thing. I've done a few years in a modified BMW turbo. While the mid range torque is sweet, nothing beats the rush of a linear high revving NA engine. So I'm more than happy with the smaller 3.6. It invites you to rev it some more.

3 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

That makes sense if they are starting with the same block for both 3.6 and 3.8. Is that the case here?

Same block, bigger holes....

On the Hartech engine guide, there are piccies of the 3.2 (Boxster S), 3.4 / 3.8 Carrera blocks side by side showing the relevant thicknesses of the bores and the reduced coolant passageways. As Barry Hart says, its virtually unknown for the 3.2 engine bores to fail because of their thicker (read more stable) wall size and the larger coolant passageways.  

2 hours ago, D2000 said:

What a wonderfully refreshing ad, good on him. Great pics, and engaging and funny spiel. Looks like a very nicely kept example too. Wish him all the best... (no affiliation at all).

3 hours ago, D2000 said:

That is an exceptional looking example, whilst on face value it seems to be priced quite ambitiously, a lot of the lower priced ones are buckets of shit, which tends to give the impression that the market is low... in my experience, you need to pay a little extra for the right Boxster!