Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

On 05/01/2019 at 17:16, Stephen Tinker said:

That's an interesting question - go onto Pistonheads and read up on bore scoring on the 3.8 engines. Theres also a really good diagnosis on the bigger engine's bore quality and ovality problems from Barry Hart @ Hartech, the M96 engine guru (www. hartech.org) in the UK. The smaller 3.6 engine still suffers from ovality and scoring but not quite as bad as the 3.8, which has thinner liners to accommodate the bigger pistons iirc.

Hmmm

Is 3.6 & 3.8 bore scoring and ovality the same as/related to the 'D Chunk' problem?

These low standard engines scare me, I love my 911's but in the water cooled  996/997 series (non Turbo) , Porsche has many competitors with first class engineering & good looks. UK reports are that the 991 motor has bore scoring too on their 'new' motor.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2016-Porsche-Boxster-GTS-981-Auto-MY16/SSE-AD-4119773

There is an interesting backstory to this 981 Boxster GTS that was discussed here back in May 2017 when it was first listed on Carsales - recall the original ad included reference to a “918 homage pack” which was some 918 & Spyder badges.

The full story is on Planet-9 (search under matthew888981) but the quick version is that after ordering the car, the purchaser who was buying in the name of his business, discovered his business partner had misappropriated circa $700k. He approached the dealer seeking unspecified assistance but received what he believed was an unsympathetic response - no additional time to reorganise his financial affairs, you will be perused for the dealer’s losses (could be as high as $50k) in reselling the car given its unique specification.

The purchaser did subsequently take delivery in May 2016 and listed it on Carsales shortly thereafter at circa $200k (close to new car cost) for some months but did not sell. I later saw the car at Porsche Centre Doncaster priced at circa $170k with the 918 & Spyder badges removed.

The same guy listed it on Carsales again at $153k. If the mileage is correct (999km), he has not used the car - arguably, it is well priced for a highly specified Boxster GTS with nominal kms.

You have to feel for the guy if his business partner has ripped him off - that said, no surprise the dealer would insist on the sale proceeding. I understand the car was purchased in Adelaide so not the deepest market to sell a uniquely optioned new car. 

Interesting to contemplate how the dealer’s costs to resell would be validated if a purchaser was unable to take delivery of a special build car? I assume the dealer would be looking for the expected profit on the original sales contract plus reasonable costs but that would be a challenging negotiation!

I'd agree $153k for only 999kms is great buying for a well optioned 981 GTS. 

I notice it is listed as having PTV which is rarely optioned in the used 981 S/GTS market and makes it a very desirable performance vehicle. 

On 27/12/2018 at 12:48, LeeM said:

So he wants a quick sale yet wishes to entertain the 15 offers and waiting for the highest one, then will call the 2 who are the highest bidders to play them off against each other? 

Just sell the car idiot 

Yes, encountered a bloke like this before i bought Neils car......They walk amongst us unfortunately!

36 minutes ago, Neun 11 said:

Yes, encountered a bloke like this before i bought Neils car......They walk amongst us unfortunately!

In my book all sales strategies are fair provided there's no dishonesty etc. Re the SC in question - This strategy may have backfired on him as in the immediate sales fury he anticipated, it obviously didn't happen. Advertised at $70, "come on in buyers with your wallets open" and 2 hours later he's wanting to meet me and my $70 cash in a carpark. I told him it's a $60 car at best once I got the finer details and withdrew from the game (had no space anyway). Few days later it's at $60 then a few days later into the high $50's and bang it's sold. The dude was a nice guy and didn't stuff me around at all, just playing the game his way as is his right, it's his car. Good buy in the mid to high $50's me thinks.

19 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

In my book all sales strategies are fair provided there's no dishonesty etc. Re the SC in question - This strategy may have backfired on him as in the immediate sales fury he anticipated, it obviously didn't happen. Advertised at $70, "come on in buyers with your wallets open" and 2 hours later he's wanting to meet me and my $70 cash in a carpark. I told him it's a $60 car at best once I got the finer details and withdrew from the game (had no space anyway). Few days later it's at $60 then a few days later into the high $50's and bang it's sold. The dude was a nice guy and didn't stuff me around at all, just playing the game his way as is his right, it's his car. Good buy in the mid to high $50's me thinks.

What was the issue with the car, seems like a greta buy below $60!! 

1 hour ago, cafe_racer said:

What was the issue with the car, seems like a greta buy below $60!! 

No real issues to speak of, non matching numbers and no service history at all, no verification possible of ks travelled, hi ks on speedo ..... brown on brown if you like that, but reading the ad it was an inbetweener in average condition - ready for a resto all over, or just drive as is and totally reliable he said. I've seen many cars up close like that for a detailed look and all areas need attention - for me they have to be excellent value or I wouldn't buy, that's just me though. Some of the options it came with were missing untidy speakers in door cards etc etc. IMO, it all depends if you believe the hi prices being asked for average SC's or what they are really selling for re condition vs price

Nicely specced GT2RS. Weissach Pack. 4362kms.  $768k. Doesn't seem the GT2RS play has worked for the flippers. Maybe Porshe Aust. reached the upper limit of what people were willing to pay for a GT car? I know a of a couple who turned down their allocation prior to inking the final docs. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2018-Porsche-911-GT2-RS-991-Auto-MY18/SSE-AD-5669214

50670665_10156402014332690_4436902822532

Crazy money - Porsche were going to fill orders for 120+ cars which is madness when the 996 and 7/2 had circa 30 cars each locally - the 7/2 RS only had 5 delivered (they made 500 globally).

Still, could be worse.  It'll be a great buy at the bottom of the depreciation curve in 4-5 years :)

With such a premium to sell, and for the buyer to cough up also, seems odd to go to shaggas so soon. Maybe too many pfa’ers hassled him too much! 😂

With such a premium to sell, and for the buyer to cough up also, seems odd to go to shaggas so soon. Maybe too many pfa’ers hassled him too much! 😂

6 hours ago, Teutonic said:

Nicely specced GT2RS. Weissach Pack. 4362kms.  $768k. Doesn't seem the GT2RS play has worked for the flippers. Maybe Porshe Aust. reached the upper limit of what people were willing to pay for a GT car? I know a of a couple who turned down their allocation prior to inking the final docs. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2018-Porsche-911-GT2-RS-991-Auto-MY18/SSE-AD-5669214

50670665_10156402014332690_4436902822532

I dont get all giddy with new Porsches (or any car for that matter) but damn!!! The only other 'modern' car that does that to me is @wilson59 silver GT3 

It would be nice to win the $100million Powerball this week and indulge meself...there goes a few million! 

^^ It's had a big price haircut.  Pretty sure I saw it at $890k, was that where it started?   Rod has bought, driven and flipped most GT models, I wonder what he has on order next?

Sent my old man up to look at this today: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2005-Porsche-911-Carrera-S-997-Manual/OAG-AD-16805701?DistFromLoc=2019&pageSource=details&id=OAG-AD-16805701

Salesman was very high pressure and I take it one of his colleagues sold the car eventually because I got some rather unprofessional text messages.

Looked nice but I do wonder if it's had engine mods beyond the air intake.  Only just missed out putting a deposit down but I figure it wasn't meant to be...

13 minutes ago, Jwitt74 said:

Sent my old man up to look at this today: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2005-Porsche-911-Carrera-S-997-Manual/OAG-AD-16805701?DistFromLoc=2019&pageSource=details&id=OAG-AD-16805701

Salesman was very high pressure and I take it one of his colleagues sold the car eventually because I got some rather unprofessional text messages.

Looked nice but I do wonder if it's had engine mods beyond the air intake.  Only just missed out putting a deposit down but I figure it wasn't meant to be...

Gotta love a 3.8 ltr V6!!!🤫

18 minutes ago, Mttel said:

Gotta love a 3.8 ltr V6!!!🤫

Ecotec V6 retrofit.

Pretty good buy at $80k drive away for an Aus delivered car. Other than the intake mod, I couldn't confirm a major or minor service since 2014 but it's only done a few thousand KMs in the time. Hopefully it proves a winner to whoever grabbed it.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

964's....I thought the 1989's were C4 and the C2 didnt arrive until 1990.  Or is that an oversimplification

7 hours ago, Rob said:

Perhaps thee believes one can run out of words.

It may be true.

Nahhhh the Irish would die very early, and the Dutch would live forever. 😉