Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

1 hour ago, Rick V said:

Sorry guys ... i’m clearly lost.... I was looking for a Porsche Forum, but somehow have landed in an English Teacher’s chat room!! Where’s the hell is exit?!? 🤪

Catch the bus

MfWSBpD.jpg

Has this been discussed or test driven by anyone?
https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/detail/porsche-917-596253

4 hours ago, tazzieman said:

"There is a widespread belief—one with no historical or grammatical foundation—that it is an error to begin a sentence with a conjunction such as and, but or so. In fact, a substantial percentage (often as many as 10 percent) of the sentences in first-rate writing begin with conjunctions. It has been so for centuries, and even the most conservative grammarians have followed this practice."

:Jumping:
1. Always right &

2. Never wrong

You mean I was lied to in school??? I am outraged!

I'll be a intelligent as you one day Tassie, here's my future...….

https://www.breitbart.com/health/2019/03/05/neuroscientist-researching-intelligence-enhancing-microchips/

Ok thread hijack over, I'm off to play scrabble.....

1 hour ago, JV911 said:

I had a good look at this last week. It’s orange Matt wrap over original charcoal metallic And base paint looked in great shape. Interior looks awesome in the flesh. I like it and I know it has some special bits on it but it’s not a $199k car for me.

I guess to buy a ausdel matchnum 964 then modify there is the money, and probably 190 is cheap when talking labour and parts for mods. Just comes down to the orig vs mod value debate. Could be someones Earl Grey. But yes, not my Chai either. 

If you use the reference of a "Singer" to describe a car that isn't a Singer, it unfortunately doesn't add credibility. In reality, it does the opposite by making a comparison that will make any non-genuine Singer look like the much poorer cousin of the genuine article. 

If on the other hand it was compared to a STD 964 it could be seen as potentially enhanced (and I'd argue it has an appeal).

18 minutes ago, hugh said:

If you use the reference of a "Singer" to describe a car that isn't a Singer, it unfortunately doesn't add credibility. In reality, it does the opposite by making a comparison that will make any non-genuine Singer look like the much poorer cousin of the genuine article. 

If on the other hand it was compared to a STD 964 it could be seen as potentially enhanced (and I'd argue it has an appeal).

I agree 

Knowing Dutton's, they probably gave the owner $199.00 wholesale for it... 

15 hours ago, hugh said:

If you use the reference of a "Singer" to describe a car that isn't a Singer, it unfortunately doesn't add credibility.

Yep, who wants a clone of a clone? And to point out the bleedin' obvious, Singers are backdates, this is not.

So on the backdate question. I am looking at some 911 options and toying with an air cooled for SMT and Friday drives to work.

The two options I’m considering are rough SC with good bones even a dirty import or non matching numbers to hot rod maybe backdate it or a great condition SC that I can jump in and drive as well as pamper it on weekends (I’m a bit ocd) and keep close to stock.

something  has come up off market that sits in the middle. Backdated matching numbers 3.2 manual coupe. Window out respray in non original colour was blue now silver and engine freshen up by Cairns. Lots of photos of backdate and respray plus books and FSH. 

Intereted on thoughts of values on a backdate? I believe the price is reasonable compared to AU delivered mint 3.2’s currently on Carsales.

i know there will be polarised views on a backdate but keen on some constructive thoughts and I would hold it for a while

9 minutes ago, Tips said:

So on the backdate question. I am looking at some 911 options and toying with an air cooled for SMT and Friday drives to work.

The two options I’m considering are rough SC with good bones even a dirty import or non matching numbers to hot rod maybe backdate it or a great condition SC that I can jump in and drive as well as pamper it on weekends (I’m a bit ocd) and keep close to stock.

something  has come up off market that sits in the middle. Backdated matching numbers 3.2 manual coupe. Window out respray in non original colour was blue now silver and engine freshen up by Cairns. Lots of photos of backdate and respray plus books and FSH. 

Intereted on thoughts of values on a backdate? I believe the price is reasonable compared to AU delivered mint 3.2’s currently on Carsales.

i know there will be polarised views on a backdate but keen on some constructive thoughts and I would hold it for a while

There is certainly merits to a backdate, but if you are gonna buy one, I think its gotta be priced accordingly... I know of an awesome G50 3.2 that is currently not for sale but will be if you are seriously looking at one. 

17 minutes ago, edgy said:

There is certainly merits to a backdate, but if you are gonna buy one, I think its gotta be priced accordingly... I know of an awesome G50 3.2 that is currently not for sale but will be if you are seriously looking at one. 

Tell me more, just wattsapped u

17 minutes ago, edgy said:

Tell me more, just wattsapped u

@Tips

Big question without many details there mate.

Depends how good of a backdate it is really. If the car is Oz delivered matching numbers etc, and everything is done well, $100-110kish. I know of a fully backdated car with glass front and rear guards, hood, decklid, nicely done overall with a good engine (basically a race car that cost $200k to build) sold for $145k pretty easily through a dealer. And trust me when I say that car was NOT perfect at all with hardly any panel lining up correctly/twisted, wavy panels/hood etc yet it did look bloody good from 10 feet and had a lot of good parts on it

Converted backdates are another level and probably the best option, as from what I've seen and heard about, they're probably worth around the same money as a stock imported/converted car. Infact most people I speak to say they would prefer one backdated for similar money. 

Mine is a factory RHD Hong Kong import that as you probably know I backdated myself originally with fiberglass bits on the front, yet one side has been repaired very well with steel front signal boxes and good paint after my little off (no structural damage, just panels), and the other side will be done this year some time hopefully. I've been offered $65k as it is, or $75-80k if I have the other side done. I have the original carpet which is ok, but others would probably want a new set. Anyone who has driven it say it drives very nice and feels sorted, has great torque and everything works as it should (except the indicator lights on the dash...that's just weird!). With all due respect to the owners of other cars I've driven, mine still feels the best. 

Backdates are a real hard one to price for the individual, because one mans/womans/transgenders idea of a good car always differs. If you just want a weekender to play with, I personally think why buy something that has perfect panel gaps and everything else is perfect when there are cars available that need some TLC and you don't have to worry about getting scratched or dinged. That black one on Gumtree for $46k sounded like a bargain, yet now a PFA member has looked at it up close, it sounds like it's going to be a money pit.

If you found a decent SC for reasonable money, you could probably backdate it for under $10k if you don't need an immaculate paint job and source the parts yourself. Front and rear bumpers $1600AU. Front steel signal boxes $800-1000AU (a bloody rip off) and front lenses etc add $500ish. My total parts cost me total $1700 (using fiberglass signal bezels which are cheap s..t) doing it myself, so all you'd need is someone to weld on the signal boxes and then it's just paint and mucking around. Anymore than $10k anf you're getting ripped off.

Feel free to message me anytime if you need any advice

3 hours ago, Tips said:

Backdates with SC/3.2 rear guards always look a little odd to me - ditto for the later interior. But I’m mostly an early car fan.

There are several cool ways to visually hot rod an SC/3.2 without backdating it. SCRS bumpers are the first thing that springs to mind. The removal of the accordions is a big change to the look of an SC/3.2.  Lightening, interior changes etc are all fairly simple and reversible. 

My 2c would be hotrod but without backdating.

Ps. And let’s not forget slant nosing!

Thanks guys.

@LeeM agree tough question to answer with little info. As car might be known to some it’s not for me to say it’s on the market. Appreciate the backdating insights and I I see yours as a bit of inspiration as to what can be done with sensible approach to spend and get a great look.  It’s partially why I have been thinking an import as a start point. 

@OBRUT your right about the rear guards to me the photos looks like it could do with more rim width to fill that top lip that sticks out vs the narrow body earlier cars which are much smoother.

I’m still kicking some tires and need to go and drive a couple of cars to make up my mind about how much time/money I want to put into getting it how I would like it vs buying someone else’s dream car.

Backdates are a interesting proposition & I really like them.

The first rule of thumb though is that stock original cars are worth the most. After that the prices drop (or should drop), irrespective of how much has been tipped into the modification/ backdate, motorsport etc & this is the area where expectations & prices differ wildly. A buyer is always out there but the herd is very small & a personalised car makes the herd even smaller therefore finding the buyer can be difficult & potentially long.

So what I am saying is, that if an immaculate 1988 G50 3.2 Carrera is $130k (madness for me) then a backdate should to be well under that. This is not to say an individual will not pay a higher price as noted above but, if future value is of interest think hard & look at a real long hood they are not much more money than Lee quoted for the fibre glass ex race car. I know where my coin would go.

If its your thing, then forget paying top $$ for anything Australian delivered or factory RHD as in my view if its been bastardised to that extent, whats the point, just make sure its been done well.