Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

It would be interesting to know who did the engine rebuild on that second 996 - looks like a serious update with pistons / sleeves and bearings...…. It would have cost a big chunk of money if it was done properly, though I don't know much about Darton cylinder sleeves compared to the Alusil / Lockasil / Nikisil coated sleeves.

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

The Malvern East car looks to have had a major IMS engine blow up - needing new pistons & liners.

IMO the value of that car is totally dependant on the skill & experience of the engine re-builder.

Funny. As it raised an eyebrow with me having had to be fully rebuilt. Do you trust that more than a car that has been regularly serviced etc? Doubt I would unless there is a decent warranty on the engine rebuild from reputable builder 

4 hours ago, OBRUT said:

Looks like a good dad-tronic, just add roof racks... 

Lose the GT3 decals on the doors and this would be great. $59k for a sub 100km car seems decent to me

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brighton-le-sands/cars-vans-utes/porsche-911-carrera-996-2001/1206947151?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android Price: $59,000 Negotiable Download the application from the Google Play Store. https://tinyurl.com/n4b7djy

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

Lose the GT3 decals on the doors

And the wing, tow hook...

I wonder how well the after market body kit was fitted. Agree if it could be snared for low mid $50’s it’s a good low k manual. 

Vin is correct for a Porsche 911, I just did a rego check and that plate didn’t show up as being current and I can’t be arsed paying for a ppsr to see if it’s a scumtree scam😲

@Tips Sounds legit, as I rang the guy who seemed pretty up front about it. 

It hasn't been driven for a year and needs some TLC. Air needs to be regassed, keys need recoding due to flat battery (?) needs a service (his mate the mechanic has been servicing it, so no idea of its history) 

Original kms, though he is unaware of whether it's supposed to be 3.4 or the 3.6 as fitted or if the IMS has been done, as he bought it as it is now 5 years ago. Has original GT3 cage, a full exhaust system, air intake etc.

Shame I havent got the spare cash to look into it further, as I really like it

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

@Tips Sounds legit, as I rang the guy who seemed pretty up front about it. 

It hasn't been driven for a year and needs some TLC. Air needs to be regassed, keys need recoding due to flat battery (?) needs a service (his mate the mechanic has been servicing it, so no idea of its history) 

Original kms, though he is unaware of whether it's supposed to be 3.4 or the 3.6 as fitted or if the IMS has been done, as he bought it as it is now 5 years ago. Has original GT3 cage, a full exhaust system, air intake etc.

Shame I havent got the spare cash to look into it further, as I really like it

So what's the secret sauce to get that 3.4 or 3.6 litre spiced up to blow away a stock one and keep up to the doors of a  996tt in any traffic light action.  Or is it the aerodynamic impact of the gt3 decals or owner doesn't realise it's got a turbo or supercharger tucked away somewhere to go with the exhaust and air intake

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

It hasn't been driven for a year and needs some TLC. 

Probably out of rego that’s why in may not have shown up on the search. If so, makes it hard to test drive... not sure it’s value with all it needs done and rectified.

2 minutes ago, Tips said:

Probably out of rego that’s why in may not have shown up on the search. If so, makes it hard to test drive... not sure it’s value with all it needs done and rectified.

Yep, out of rego.  He's a motivated seller, yet won't be giving it away which is fair enough. We all want a bargain, and as my current circumstances are directing me towards having to buy a cheaper car to put some cash back in the bank, I have a figure in mind that I would be ok with (if had the handy cash then sell mine ofcourse). I also need to consider transport costs, stamp duty, repairs etc, but don't think he'd go for it, as it is lowballing a fair bit (I'll probably get hung up on). If he accepted what I'd offer now, I'd have to think there is something wrong with it that is potentially a serious money pit which I cannot afford. I don't wish to waste anyones time having a look for me or getting a ppi if I'm not cashed up to buy it, yet it's a car that I'd be very interested in pursuing a bit more if I was

I hear u brother. I’m happy to kick tyres if you want to pursue it. Checking out cars is top of mind I’m in the market to move into a 911 but not yet decided on AC or a 996 Manuel or Tip. I want both but it will just tie up too much cash and I’ve still got the macan to flog. Plenty of folk on here helping me make up my mind and great offers of trying some cars (which is such an awesome offer from people who hardly know me 👍) but still pulled in both directions.  I’m at a loose end on Sat morning, unless edgy comes through with an AC for me to try,  so offer is there mate as I think the more I look at the easier my decision will be, or not.

That's my problem @Tips. I really don't want to sell my AC car, as I'm too attached to it (strange for me, yet I have wanted one for over 40 years), yet it would solely be a financial decision to get into a 996. If this car was $40k, it would probably be a no brainer for me.

It all depends on what you want in a car. I drove mine and Phil's 996 back to back, and yeah the 996 was easier to drive, quicker, more responsive, more comfortable etc, yet mine was more of a hand full but I felt more involved in it. They both gave me the same smile you get from a 911, yet I did think to myself mine won the 'out of 100' comparison 53 to 47. If you want a car that is probably more user friendly overall, the 996 wins that one...just

I've been thinking of this every damn day since I first drove a 996, as financially it makes perfect sense to me, but the missus keeps reminding me 'Don't do it, coz you know you'll regret it and never own an older Porsche ever again'. It really is the hardest decision I've had to contemplate for many many years

5 hours ago, LeeM said:

That's my problem @Tips. I really don't want to sell my AC car, as I'm too attached to it (strange for me, yet I have wanted one for over 40 years), yet it would solely be a financial decision to get into a 996. If this car was $40k, it would probably be a no brainer for me.

It all depends on what you want in a car. I drove mine and Phil's 996 back to back, and yeah the 996 was easier to drive, quicker, more responsive, more comfortable etc, yet mine was more of a hand full but I felt more involved in it. They both gave me the same smile you get from a 911, yet I did think to myself mine won the 'out of 100' comparison 53 to 47. If you want a car that is probably more user friendly overall, the 996 wins that one...just

I've been thinking of this every damn day since I first drove a 996, as financially it makes perfect sense to me, but the missus keeps reminding me 'Don't do it, coz you know you'll regret it and never own an older Porsche ever again'. It really is the hardest decision I've had to contemplate for many many years

Hope your OK

9 hours ago, Tips said:

I hear u brother. I’m happy to kick tyres if you want to pursue it. Checking out cars is top of mind I’m in the market to move into a 911 but not yet decided on AC or a 996 Manuel or Tip. I want both but it will just tie up too much cash and I’ve still got the macan to flog. Plenty of folk on here helping me make up my mind and great offers of trying some cars (which is such an awesome offer from people who hardly know me 👍) but still pulled in both directions.  I’m at a loose end on Sat morning, unless edgy comes through with an AC for me to try,  so offer is there mate as I think the more I look at the easier my decision will be, or not.

Hey Steve if you want to drive a 3.6. manual let me know i could meet you down the Pie in the Sky if you like, you know just to compare, you still have the Macan right? I've never driven one of those;)

5 hours ago, LeeM said:

Lee, this must be weighing heavily on you, posting so early in the morning!!  Can't sleep as you mull it over, or woken early as you think about it???

@LeeMyou would not be sorry if you made the switch mate, i spoke to a few guys that have had AC cars and water cooled cars and i can honestly say that most of them pushed me in the direction i have gone, sounds to me like you are halfway there anyway:mellow: 

5 hours ago, LeeM said:

Get a 928 .... Watercooled AND an older Porsche .... 😳😳😂😂😜😜

By the time the you work the AC 996 puzzle  out @LeeM they will be very classic 

AC  romance and nostalgia 

996 reality and roads to be consumed with abundance of petrol money and more time as your not laying under it

Wrench or winding through the hills with on key demand the choice is yours 🤣

if you must , taste full mod the 996 oodles of cheap bolt in goodies and castoffs around mate , especially from crazy turbo owners 

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Lee, this must be weighing heavily on you, posting so early in the morning!!  Can't sleep as you mull it over, or woken early as you think about it???

Not good mate. Waited 40 years to own an air cooled, and now looks like that's going to have to go. 

Trying not to, but to me it's the smartest option at the moment.

Cheers for your thoughts everyone. Stay tuned for a potential for sale ad 😕