Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

25 minutes ago, hugh said:

On the whole, I'd say AC 911's are a really great value proposition if you are after a capable, classic (& somewhat practical) sports car. The car mentioned in the above posts is obviously an extreme example of pricing (and hasn't it got everyone's attention!) but lets not use this one example to form a basis of AC owners being unrealistic. 

Anything is worth what anyone is prepared to pay for it and there are many reasons why early 911's are "worth" what they are. If you compare them as a "value" and ownership proposition to a lot of other Euro OR Italian exotics they are a compelling package. You only have to look at the historic motor sport scene to see how successful and robust these cars still are. 

If I could only ever have a single car, regardless of budget it would be an early 911. I'd have one over an equal value modern car (or 911 for that matter). People who spend several hundreds of thousands on newer cars that are worth peanuts after a month of ownership are mad to me but that seems to be more commonly accepted. 

Each to their own. 

Funny that Hugh I have the same thought. Perceptions are reality these days nomatter whether it’s correct or not.  I copped a bit from people who didn’t obviously know me that well when I bought my car. Comments of “did you win the lottery”,  or more money than sense were mentioned. Yet step back and look the bigger picture. One neighbour happy to make a statement on my purchase yet didn’t reflect on his near $70k purchase on his wife’s new Kluger. Which in 5 years time will be worth 20-30k and will have a useful lifespan of 10-15 years.

whilst I didn’t buy mine for investment I have to admit that resale was a consideration, but aside from my enjoyment and others perception I’m not dropping $60k in the next few years on my 10 year old Porsche. Who’s the fool now....

I tend to agree @hughas I’ve been looking at classic cars for a while and help a friend out looking at cars when I’m interstate. I’ve kept looking at AC cars primarily because as you pont out a 40+ year old 911 is still a good proposition (bubble effected many marques)  in comparison to cars in prestige marques of similliar vintage. Availability of parts and good information helps make these cars accessible for enthusiasts. Having owned and driven modern Porsche’s (and other exotics) I keep coming back to an AC car as the one to put a smile on my face. The only thing that slows me down on an early 911 is my budget, not a thought of overpriced dreamers. There are some good value  early cars around depending on what you are willing to compromise on for originality and what you want to use it for. If I tripped over the right bitsa, crusty, imported, converted long hood at my price point I’d jump all over it and hot rod it. But value is all about the buyer and their individual plans. From what I have seen you can individualise an AC 911 without eroding value and plenty have done that. Yes you upset the purists but in other ways open up a whole other market. Sorry rant over.

1 hour ago, hugh said:

On the whole, I'd say AC 911's are a really great value proposition if you are after a capable, classic (& somewhat practical) sports car. The car mentioned in the above posts is obviously an extreme example of pricing (and hasn't it got everyone's attention!) but lets not use this one example to form a basis of AC owners being unrealistic. 

Anything is worth what anyone is prepared to pay for it and there are many reasons why early 911's are "worth" what they are. If you compare them as a "value" and ownership proposition to a lot of other Euro OR Italian exotics they are a compelling package. You only have to look at the historic motor sport scene to see how successful and robust these cars still are. 

If I could only ever have a single car, regardless of budget it would be an early 911. I'd have one over an equal value modern car (or 911 for that matter). People who spend several hundreds of thousands on newer cars that are worth peanuts after a month of ownership are mad to me but that seems to be more commonly accepted. 

Each to their own. 

Bloody well said mate. That 3.2 almost certainly is premium priced beyond where it should be given it isn't a very rare car in the grand theme of things even with the lowish mileage (which also isn't crazy low in the big picture).

My guess is if the car had maybe under 1000km on it then it would be a different kettle of fish as it would really be a time warp car. Someone may be enthusiast enough to want something in practically showroom condition (... maybe). But this car is a bit in no man's land... 

And you hit the nail on the head. Old Porsches are so well made that they should just be driven. And if you spend money on a car and don't drive it then it really better be very very rare or very very special and unfortunately a 3.2 Carrera with a bit over 50k km is for sure a very very nice car.... But it isn't "investment material" either. Heck my 964 TBL factory cab is one of only 4 manuals in oz. And one of only 15 wide body cabs brought into the country. And has just over 50k km.... And its now gonna get the pants driven off it. And no way it would fetch anywhere near 250k in this market or any other market for the foreseeable future....  Or maybe that's because its a convertible chics car. 

On 29/03/2019 at 19:18, Arnage said:

Seller is deluded, its the engine that makes that car special, nothing else. Not even sure with the correct engine its worth that much ($300k) & fully restored. Imagine the hours. IMO its a low $$ resto purchase.

My 2c.

a local car fully restored with the right engine but not matching numbers is a 250k car.

a fully restored Japanese car LHD with the right engine matching numbers is a 250k car

a local car fully restored with the right engine matching numbers is a 300k car

The 74-76 Carrera is basically a 73 RS Touring spec car with G series bumpers.  Even some of the early Porsche literature called it the 1974 Carrera RS.  

Just because the engine number might not be original doesn’t mean the heart beats any weaker ... 

i once owned an example of each - one with the matching numbers and one without.  Even with my deep skill and sensitivity I could barely tell the difference. 🤓

1 hour ago, hugh said:

Each to their own. 

Bloody well said mate. That 3.2 almost certainly is premium priced beyond where it should be given it isn't a very rare car in the grand theme of things even with the lowish mileage (which also isn't crazy low in the big picture).

My guess is if the car had maybe under 1000km on it then it would be a different kettle of fish as it would really be a time warp car. Someone may be enthusiast enough to want something in practically showroom condition (... maybe). But this car is a bit in no man's land... 

And you hit the nail on the head. Old Porsches are so well made that they should just be driven. And if you spend money on a car and don't drive it then it really better be very very rare or very very special and unfortunately a 3.2 Carrera with a bit over 50k km is for sure a very very nice car.... But it isn't "investment material" either. Heck my 964 TBL factory cab is one of only 4 manuals in oz. And one of only 15 wide body cabs brought into the country. And has just over 50k km.... And its now gonna get the pants driven off it. And no way it would fetch anywhere near 250k in this market or any other market for the foreseeable future....  Or maybe that's because its a convertible chics car. 

On 29/03/2019 at 19:18, Arnage said:

Seller is deluded, its the engine that makes that car special, nothing else. Not even sure with the correct engine its worth that much ($300k) & fully restored. Imagine the hours. IMO its a low $$ resto purchase.

My 2c.

a local car fully restored with the right engine but not matching numbers is a 250k car.

a fully restored Japanese car LHD with the right engine matching numbers is a 250k car

The 74-76 Carrera is basically a 73 RS Touring spec car with G series bumpers.  Even some of the early Porsche literature called it the 1974 Carrera RS.  

Just because the engine number might not be original doesn’t mean the heart beats any weaker ... 

i once owned an example of each - one with the matching numbers and one without.  Even with my deep skill and sensitivity I could barely tell the difference. 🤓

Falling markets always a great time to buy a great car .. especially  a longhood or rare unicorn .  Let the market flush out some more cash in the Bunnings dash for trash and treasure . This will thin out competition ..with money mopped up by the museum that leaves less punters and your in a prime seat for a solid and healthy discussion with a realistic seller .   Older cars carry more charm and nostalgia no one can deny .. Some boost or Motorsport GT RS  cars offer the defined smile drive perhaps without patina .    I have said it a few times it’s the return of the enthusiasts market , thank god !! Just work out what your enthusiasm is in ..  oh and you got free advice from Skids .. listen up !!   

Autumn calls for great drives

As for sellers testing for a good price test em back with a Offer at ur price 

On 31/03/2019 at 18:27, Arnage said:

Maybe you have too much cash & desire, however,  you never bought it, you may want to explain.

Yes, even with the original engine, sellers value is way over the top.

I understand this model very well & early Porsche cars, obviously you don't. 

Explain...I saw the ad late friday, contacted seller through cs, was too late.

Desire, I have a correct spec engine for it. These are great cars.

1 hour ago, Skidmarks said:

My 2c.

Delusional.

Arnage?

18 minutes ago, dipstick said:

Delusional.

Really?

I sold my 75  LHD Jap matching car recently for 250.  

I sold a local 74 matching car about 18 mths ago for 220 but was not the original colour. 

I’ve  been offered 300k for my 74 early build LHD Jap delivered car.  Has a couple of RS run out parts including the plastic fuel tank. 

What do you base your view on?

43 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

Really?

I sold my 75  LHD Jap matching car recently for 250.  

I sold a local 74 matching car about 18 mths ago for 220 but was not the original colour. 

I’ve  been offered 300k for my 74 early build LHD Jap delivered car.  Has a couple of RS run out parts including the plastic fuel tank. 

What do you base your view on?

My comment was directed at Arnage in previous post suggesting the seller of the 74 carrera a couple of pages back was delusional at his 110k ask.

The car went "not available" within the day and hasn't appeared again since so presume sold.

You are offereing real world sales figures in your 2c post above that runs against the grain of Arnage's posts towards this model car.

I tried to buy it, so I must be a delusional buyer.

6 hours ago, hugh said:

Each to their own. 

yeah this - still AC 911s for sale for 50-60k.  Very reasonable pricing compared to the alternatives and not a guaranteed loser like every new car priced at $50-60k.

The reason they are popular classics is as said - motorsport history, huge parts availability (inc performance parts), classic shape, fun to drive even in 'underpowered' early form.

I concede to Svens superior knowledge & cash & cars changing hands, however, I do believe non matching engine even if its a 911/83 type would hurt value by more that 16% on cars like these.

As noted by someone else here the car would only appeal up to the one buyer who has the correct engine, or as dipstick has explained has a 911/83 engine but not from that car making it a "nearly car".

My delusional comment on the seller is based on his asking price and stated value when finished will be $300k. Thats with a non RS engine supplied with the car & in bits.

Additionally, I have no negative comments regarding this model at all, quite the opposite, nor do I think the wrong engine number would make the car perform any less.

Mr Skids, I do think you are under selling your "deep skill & sensitivity" you'd know as soon as you turn the key!😀

3 hours ago, Coastr said:

yeah this - still AC 911s for sale for 50-60k.  Very reasonable pricing compared to the alternatives and not a guaranteed loser like every new car priced at $50-60k.

The reason they are popular classics is as said - motorsport history, huge parts availability (inc performance parts), classic shape, fun to drive even in 'underpowered' early form.

I thought your quote that there are still air cooled 911 available for $60K was optimistic but I searched carsales and there is one coupe for sale.

Is anyone going to Bunnings for a Sausage off the BBQ ?

Are there any Porsche buying targets ? 

It kept me awake thinking there might be one there without the indentations of my boot in the sidewalls .. 

Gotta love an auction, when shit gets real and the market speaks, let’s crawl out from under speculation and see reality perhaps ..probably the closest reflection and snapshot of Aussie classic car market we will see 

Come on who’s running a watch list ?  Do we have a man in the field reporting for us ?

5 hours ago, symsy said:

It kept me awake thinking there might be one there without the indentations of my boot in the sidewalls .. 

Gotta love an auction, when shit gets real and the market speaks, let’s crawl out from under speculation and see reality perhaps ..probably the closest reflection and snapshot of Aussie classic car market we will see 

Come on who’s running a watch list ?  Do we have a man in the field reporting for us ?

The auctions have been running for the past week online .... today's auction is just an extension and conclusion of that (and a way to charge entry fee and get himself on television)

https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/AuctionLots.aspx?smode=0&aid=11578

19 hours ago, dipstick said:

My comment was directed at Arnage in previous post suggesting the seller of the 74 carrera a couple of pages back was delusional at his 110k ask.

The car went "not available" within the day and hasn't appeared again since so presume sold.

You are offereing real world sales figures in your 2c post above that runs against the grain of Arnage's posts towards this model car.

Got it now.  Thanks.  Arnage and I have (good) history.  He buys low, sells high!  Some call it market manipulation!!  He means well.  

6 hours ago, symsy said:

I’m about to test the market big time.  I’m the executor of and estate that has all classics.  7 Ferrari’s,  3 Lambo’s, GT40 rep, De Tomaso, AC Cobra and come others.  

Going EOI as opposed to auction.  

All barn finds - sitting in storage for 20-25 years so need recommissioning/restoration but all complete and the great thing is interiors are all pretty mint as a result of the storage which was professionally done.

That will I think give a real flavor of what the market has done.  I’ll feed back once we’re through the process. 

52 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

Got it now.  Thanks.  Arnage and I have (good) history.  He buys low, sells high!  Some call it market manipulation!!  He means well.  

I’m about to test the market big time.  I’m the executor of and estate that has all classics.  7 Ferrari’s,  3 Lambo’s, GT40 rep, De Tomaso, AC Cobra and come others.  

Going EOI as opposed to auction.  

All barn finds - sitting in storage for 20-25 years so need recommissioning/restoration but all complete and the great thing is interiors are all pretty mint as a result of the storage which was professionally done.

That will I think give a real flavor of what the market has done.  I’ll feed back once we’re through the process. 

Now that sounds very interesting!

2 hours ago, Dreamr said:

The auctions have been running for the past week online .... today's auction is just an extension and conclusion of that (and a way to charge entry fee and get himself on television)

https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/AuctionLots.aspx?smode=0&aid=11578

Aren’t there other cars not in the online site ?? 

2 hours ago, symsy said:

I visited Gosford a fortnight ago. They won’t advise which cars are no reserve and which aren’t. They will sell cars already under bid at a public auction.  The auctioneers don’t have possession of the cars. 

All very odd.  I left wondering if it is just part of a show of good faith to the ATO  

46 minutes ago, OBRUT said:

I visited Gosford a fortnight ago. They won’t advise which cars are no reserve and which aren’t. They will sell cars already under bid at a public auction.  The auctioneers don’t have possession of the cars. 

All very odd.  I left wondering if it is just part of a show of good faith to the ATO  

Also strange they kept listing new stock just days before the auction. 

3 hours ago, symsy said:

Symsy.  No one reacted to my 911R post that someone noted was at 405k on an online auction.   eg reckon that was a bunnings vendor bid to get the ball rolling earlier in the week.  996 Gt2 was at 180k on friday night.  The only  two I am keeping an eye on. Everything else  was slim pickings  p car wise plus overvalued  even on pre game day seat pricing ( based on bids friday morning) based on my notional what would I bid on if you had some cash you would not blink at departing with and had a extra garage spot to fill.  Problem is  hard for me to move off  my current comparative value baselines of @edgy's 997gt3 at his asking price and a 997gt2 on top of edgy's  price for less than 125k extra  ( did someone on here pick that up  and a 991 gt3 at 215k) and wait for it,  a gas axed boosted   Ferrari engine with   2 cylinders lopped off and a 4 leaf clover sticker under the hood that has a second or so  over that 991 gt3 at the Ring  for  possibly starting with a 8 number if you can live with  blue and  4 doors. (what a shame no manuals in rhd).

21 hours ago, dipstick said:

4 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Now that sounds very interesting!

So, here’s the list ...

I know this is a P car forum but I think you’ll agree these are pretty cool.  Pity I can’t be in the running as I’m the executor!

1. 1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo Series II HCi

2. 1972 Panther J72

3. 19070 Rolls Royce Mulliner Park Ward

4. 1978 Ferrari 308 GTS

5. 1984 AC Cobra Autokraft Mark IV - is on the register

6. 1978 Lamborghini Countach LP400S

7. 1985 Lamborghini Jalapa 3.5 GTS

8. 1973 Ferrari Dino 246 GTS

9. 1976 Ferrari 308 GT4

10. 1972 Ferrari 365 GTC4

11. 1979 Ferrari 512 BB

12. 1986 Ferrari Testarossa

13. 1969 Lamborghini Isolero S 2+2

14. 1991 GT40 Replica (not able to be registered - care car)

15. 1974 De Tomaso Pantera GTS

If you or anyone you know is interested in being a part of the EOI, PM me and I will give you some more details on how to be a part of the EOI.