Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

This is nice... Depending on how many km ago the engine rebuild was. 

Check out this 1990 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 964 Manual.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1990-Porsche-911-Carrera-2-964-Manual/OAG-AD-17699111

8 hours ago, 911virgin said:

what do you think is current realistic market price for a 993 Cs2 tip 1996/97

there was a black one with around 120-130000kms  @carsales (vic seller) , asking $140k  in 2017/18, sat for >1 year unsold I think

had been bought at city automobiles 2015 for around $90k

Carrera S tip is impossible to figure out. Gorgoeus body with an unwanted though very practical gearbox. It would be bought as a daily driver or car for the wife by many I guess. Its a car really in no man's land. It doesn't suck but it isn't a drive most enthusiasts would look for. But as a one car garage option it makes sense. Price on this I say is above a tip 993 but at best on par or just slightly below a manual 993 Carrera in terms of desirability. 

I wouldn't take Graysonline auction results as a market guideline. Everything on Grays sells cheap

On the other hand, have a look at some of the Shannons results, pretty much everything is over market value

1988 Carrera $118k

1963 356SC $197k

I wouldn't call that a tanked market

This looks like another interesting car.... 

http://www.ecuriebowden.com.au/1990-porsche-964-c2-38

2 hours ago, rafikdous said:

I wouldn't take Graysonline auction results as a market guideline. Everything on Grays sells cheap

On the other hand, have a look at some of the Shannons results, pretty much everything is over market value

1988 Carrera $118k

1963 356SC $197k

I wouldn't call that a tanked market

Whatever the case the seller of that car must have been desperate as heck. If I had a tip I sure wouldn't be selling it at the price asked and I seriously don't think it's a "fair price" that's for sure. 

Agree those Shannon prices remind me the market isnt quite so bleak.

Another pretty interesting car with some significance in the fabric of Porsche in Australia. 

http://www.pcnsw.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_nsw/pc_main.nsf/web/59D788FB7B4FA7FCC12584590003DC2D

Screenshot_2019-10-24-12-58-35.png

The BASF car has been on the market for years yeah? Am sure it’s had an ad for it on  MY105 for the past couple of years. Seems it’s racing pedigree isn’t getting it much attention. Other than its Australian pedigree I guess it’s not actually a Porsche factory racer, just a locally built thing off a standard chassis. 

5 hours ago, Teutonic said:

The BASF car has been on the market for years yeah? Am sure it’s had an ad for it on  MY105 for the past couple of years. Seems it’s racing pedigree isn’t getting it much attention. Other than its Australian pedigree I guess it’s not actually a Porsche factory racer, just a locally built thing off a standard chassis. 

Bit like this car then.... 

https://classicthrottleshop.com/1970-porsche-911-t-australian-touring-car/

I wish all these cars would end up at the HQ of Porsche Australia for us to see. The reality is these cars to me form part of the fabric of what made Porsche what it is today in Australia. If not for these privateers..   Who would ever have cared about Porsche?

^^ yeah I reckon that’s an excellent example of a similar thing. And it’s a shame a long racing pedigree doesn’t have quite the same clout as an international one, but it probably comes down to it not being a factory built car. If is was a car that Porsche had built for a race series it would probably fare much better. 

Rex Broadbents targa 911 is a pretty special thing. His dominance of the classic category at Targa Tas was something else. Something like 6 wins on the trot? Finishing well within the top 10 outright. Only the great JR could shine a light on that. 

Hopefully they are preserved and become revered as much as the early touring cars. 

Could they not be raced in historics like Sandown this weekend or don't they fit in any of the current categories?

The second most important thing after having a Melbourne history is the fact my recent purchase is it can be raced in group R once I get the Certificate of Description. 

As amazing it is to be a custodian, I really want to enjoy it at speed and have others enjoy seeing and hearing it on the track.

2 hours ago, Dalai said:

Could they not be raced in historics like Sandown this weekend or don't they fit in any of the current categories?

The second most important thing after having a Melbourne history is the fact my recent purchase is it can be raced in group R once I get the Certificate of Description. 

As amazing it is to be a custodian, I really want to enjoy it at speed and have others enjoy seeing and hearing it on the track.

Don’t fit in tin top classes (group s and n) and not competitive (and possible also not eligible)  in race car classes. 

16 hours ago, OBRUT said:

The other issue holding these old race cars back is there aren’t any good events to run them in down here.  

And a total lack of interest even if an event was held mate. I suspect only a handful of people would turn up to see the historic cars race. If only there was a goodwood here, adelaide tried I guess... Just not enough history buffs. 

15 hours ago, Dalai said:

What did you buy mate? 

5 hours ago, Harold996tt said:

What did you buy mate? 

https://porscheforum.com.au/topic/15660-cheetah-af2/ 

You would be surprised at the crowds at historic race meetings. Come down to Phillip island next year (around March) and check it out.

There are a number of 911 and 928 Porsches racing this weekend at Sandown.

5 hours ago, Harold996tt said:

And a total lack of interest even if an event was held mate. I suspect only a handful of people would turn up to see the historic cars race. If only there was a goodwood here, adelaide tried I guess... Just not enough history buffs. 

You'd be surprised Hazza. The Adelaide Motorsport Festival was huge here with tens of thousands of paying spectators every year, yet the government withdrew their financial support of it and it's now dead. I'd say it was so popular mainly due to the location being in the centre of Adelaide. It is back on the calendar in December with 900 entrants, yet it's at The Bend which is an hour or so from Adelaide. An amazing facility for sure, but to me it's the wrong venue and should be at historic Mallala. Theyll struggle to get 5000 people there I imagine, yet hope I'm proved wrong when we attend.

I'm not saying people were solely at the Motorsport festival in Adelaide for the historic racing component, probably more so the old F1 cars, yet I think in this day and age, people just can't be arsed heading out for a day at a racetrack to watch motorsport when it costs so much to drive there, pay admission, buy food for the kids etc etc. I know most local club and historic racing doesnt cost much for admission, and I'm guilty of it myself for not attending when it usually provides great racing and you get to view the cars and bikes up close and talk to the owners, yet I also think motorsport plays second fiddle to computer games and having a latte and croissants at the local cafe.

I went to Mallala Historics probably 3 years ago, and to watch some old Porsches, and even meeting my all time motor racing hero Vern Shuppan who was driving his 1940's Talbot F1 car was a sight and sound to behold. Motorsport nowadays has become bat shit boring with F1 (the biggest yawn) down to Supercars where I usually just watch the first and last couple of laps, where historic racing has these competitors driving the wheels off of very expensive cars and throwing caution to the wind.

If you havent been to a historic meeting, make sure you do, as knowing how much you enjoy Porsches and life in general, you will love it.

On that note, I'll end my thread drift... 🙄

1 hour ago, cafe_racer said:

This is such a great looking 930, if only funds and garage space permitted.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1979-porsche-930-turbo-manual/SSE-AD-6262065/?Cr=48

ai49lpcu8vcx47idv9zdhzwhx.jpg

Looks sensational in that colour