Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1995-porsche-911-carrera-4-993-manual-my96/SSE-AD-6721067

i went and took a look at this car yesterday. It is VERY tired. Lovely car? No, looked after by owner? No. Body and paint need complete refresh - a buff won’t do it. Front seats need to be redone but rest of interior ok. Engine $15-20k, interior $5k for front seats, body and paint $20 for a reasonable finish, suspension, transmission, rest - unsure. Risk factor ~ $10k, value on completion $130 - $140 if done well, price now 140 - 10 - 20 - 5 - 20 = $80-$85k.thoughts?

8 minutes ago, Turra said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1995-porsche-911-carrera-4-993-manual-my96/SSE-AD-6721067

i went and took a look at this car yesterday. It is VERY tired. Lovely car? No, looked after by owner? No. Body and paint need complete refresh - a buff won’t do it. Front seats need to be redone but rest of interior ok. Engine $15-20k, interior $5k for front seats, body and paint $20 for a reasonable finish, suspension, transmission, rest - unsure. Risk factor ~ $10k, value on completion $130 - $140 if done well, price now 140 - 10 - 20 - 5 - 20 = $80-$85k.thoughts?

Accurate assessment IMHO, many prospective buyers hope for the best & underestimate the TRUE end cost.

Don’t see a lot of restored 993s so hard to say if they fetch good money or not.  
$15-20 for motor?  Not a lot of wiggle room in there for that.

All you can do is make an offer.  I have made realistic offers on unloved cars that have been received poorly - in that case all you do is move on.  Some people think that they look after cars when in reality all they have done is fail to smash them into a post.  They think small dents and scratches and missing/broken interior pieces just need ‘a little tlc’.  In reality cosmetic neglect usually indicates mechanical neglect.  Good luck, at least it hasn’t been in the bottom of a river.

12 hours ago, Turra said:

alternately go all H. Moody  and at the hypothetical low, albeit reflective purchase, attend to the Necessities leave the rest as is, drive to woolies, school pickups and excepting Victorian brethren next SMT..

What was wrong with the engine ?

9 minutes ago, michel said:

alternately go all H. Moody  and at the hypothetical low, albeit reflective purchase, attend to the Necessities leave the rest as is, drive to woolies, school pickups and excepting Victorian brethren next SMT..

Perfect 993 safari candidate...

32 minutes ago, michel said:

It’s aN old porsche mate. It’s going to need $20k spent on the engine. If it hasn’t been done it’s just a matter of when. My point was really the advert was just plain misleading. Lovely car - no chance, looked after by owner - give me a break. I’m with Ryan - cut it up for a safari maybe. 😬

Nope just interested in whether my maths seems appropriate. First look at the car only, if it was as advertised (lovely and well cared for) I might go to that next step but wouldn't waste my time after seeing it.

5 hours ago, Turra said:

It’s aN old porsche mate. It’s going to need $20k spent on the engine. If it hasn’t been done it’s just a matter of when. My point was really the advert was just plain misleading. Lovely car - no chance, looked after by owner - give me a break. I’m with Ryan - cut it up for a safari maybe. 😬

I'm hearing what you are saying regarding the way it's been looked after but I have to respectfully disagree with your synopsis that just because it's an old Porsche that the engine needs $15k - $20k spent.

My old SC was an '81 model and the only receipt it came with was one for an air-conditioning re-gas ... now, that was a waste of money! ... not one service receipt to be seen. I sold it like that too ..

Turned out to be one of the best cars I've owned and the only money I spent on it in the 6 years of ownership was for suspension and brakes ... and I don't think that if be the only one on here with a story like that.

Fair enough, don't buy a car that doesn't feel right, but just don't assume the worst in every car as you might just miss out the one that turns out to be a diamond ..

Good luck in your search ... 🙂

absolutely dreaming. I heard it was one of Rusty French's cars but no idea on the truth of that.

You'd wander down the road with your $300k and cut a deal with Dutton's on the 997 GT2 they had for that kind of money. Or buy a 997.2/991 PDK turbo.

1 hour ago, Harsh said:

didn't pop the airbags!

Cannot understand why if damage occurred whilst car was in motion.  The damage to the front should have popped the drivers at least.  Passenger, no problem if the seat was not occupied.  Maybe it fell off a transporter or was hit whilst parked.

2 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Cannot understand why if damage occurred whilst car was in motion.  The damage to the front should have popped the drivers at least.  Passenger, no problem if the seat was not occupied.  Maybe it fell off a transporter or was hit whilst parked.

might be worth a bid

On 30/09/2020 at 19:04, Turra said:

I followed 993 prices closely for a long time. I didn’t end up buying one because they (manual cars) were out of my price range, but if this is a genuine 160k km manual 993 c4 what do you expect for $105k? It seems like all of the down side is already priced in - in fact a lot of people would call it patina. People pay for that shit. Good luck getting it for $85k! 

On 02/10/2020 at 14:37, Lucky Phil said:

Maybe hit while parked? Do airbags go off if ignition is off? 

2 hours ago, Moobs said:

I followed 993 prices closely for a long time. I didn’t end up buying one because they (manual cars) were out of my price range, but if this is a genuine 160k km manual 993 c4 what do you expect for $105k? It seems like all of the down side is already priced in - in fact a lot of people would call it patina. People pay for that shit. Good luck getting it for $85k! 

Seriously if you believe that scratches, fades, bumps, dents and such are patina, good luck. I see patina in graceful cars that have been cared for by knowledgeable people who respect their cars. This one has a declared seal problem quoted $7k repair cost at Cavaco, some service history, and presentation was questionable. It won’t sell for $85 I agree.

11 hours ago, Turra said:

Seriously if you believe that scratches, fades, bumps, dents and such are patina, good luck. I see patina in graceful cars that have been cared for by knowledgeable people who respect their cars. This one has a declared seal problem quoted $7k repair cost at Cavaco, some service history, and presentation was questionable. It won’t sell for $85 I agree.

Sounds like a few bugattis or Postwar English iron I’ve spied or, rundown American beef cake  in Havana 

Scratches and bumps and lumps and grease on old geeza cars authentic but, on modern classics just seen as tatty and forlorn and wastrel and equally tatty forlorn owners ?

Perhaps patina a purely Personal peccadillo,; and preference postulated by persons of various Socio cultural persuasions.

as for the Pricing banter who knows if its on par with condition and market perhaps not ..perhaps yes . whose ready to pony up for a PPI?