Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

11 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

I still cannot get my head around the fact that quite a few of these early air cooled cars with high mileages and unknown histories are in the (up to 3 months ago) 996 GT3 and GT4 prices.

I know the A/C cars are looked upon as different, but sorry, the values do not compute. Porsche GT cars are - and always will be - in a different league compared to the normal Carrera models so either these air cooled variants are overpriced or the GT3 / GT4  cars are underpriced. 

I think it comes down to numbers. So many more modern cars being produced now. How many GT3’s are produced every year now by comparison to early air cooled cars. 

35 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

I still cannot get my head around the fact that quite a few of these early air cooled cars with high mileages and unknown histories are in the (up to 3 months ago) 996 GT3 and GT4 prices.

I know the A/C cars are looked upon as different, but sorry, the values do not compute. Porsche GT cars are - and always will be - in a different league compared to the normal Carrera models so either these air cooled variants are overpriced or the GT3 / GT4  cars are underpriced. 

With respect, you’re comparing Apples to Pears. The earlier and rarer the car, the more of its value is due to it being a collectable per se.  They are also generally sought by very different buyer groups, who are after totally different experiences from their cars. 

And it’s not just Porsche, the price gap of vintage/classic to new is even bigger in Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston etc etc

52 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

.... so either these air cooled variants are overpriced or the GT3 / GT4  cars are underpriced. 

Simple, I didn't have a picture of a GT4 taped inside my Globite school case, I had a G model.  I suspect I'm not alone.  Logic doesn't come into it.

3 hours ago, GusTV said:

Second car is mine. Have never advertised it before.

Beautiful example!

Gus,

Can you detail what was done to the engine during the rebuild? 

1 hour ago, Turra said:

I think it comes down to numbers. So many more modern cars being produced now. How many GT3’s are produced every year now by comparison to early air cooled cars. 

Porsche made 190,000+ G series cars.  

I'd harbour a guess there's significantly less GT4s.

GT3s, the numbers only get "big" in the 991 range

996 -  4000 ish, plus ~680 RS'

997 - 4500 ish, plus ~ 2600 RS and 600 4.0 RS'

991's I've seen number ranging 4-6k across both the GT3 and RS destinations is .1 and .2 guise.  

4 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Totally agree @Stephen Tinker.  
Having previously owned an ‘85 Carrera, and now a 996.2 GT3 I can appreciate just how different these cars are...... and in reality how much better a car the GT3 is.....

.... but as others have said, I get the romance & collectibility of older cars.

No doubt a Lambo Hurrican would smash a miura, but we know where the big money is.

@Stephen Tinker Mate, a/c values have been questioned/debated/justified/unjustified for the past 5-6 years or so. In fact, look at any older car now and try to justify their asking prices/values compared to newer cars which do eveything much better/easier. A Datsun 1600 for 60 grand? Really? 

As you may know, I've been on and off with selling my backdate to buy a 996, yet every time my decision not to (and I've been very close a few times) has basically come down to looks and the nostalgia of owning an old 911...and the missus in my ear saying "Don't sell it, coz you'll regret it and I'll have to listen to you whinging for twenty years!" Hate it when she's right sometimes 🙄

To me, a 996 doesn't do things that differently to my car, apart from being more comfortable, has air cond, faster, brake and handle better. Even though I've never driven a GT3, I imagine they would feel 'similar' in architecture with similar handling characteristics to a point. Is an air cooled worth similar/more money than a GT3/GT4? My honest opinion is no, not really, and I too can't get my head around it, but that's just how it is in these times of everything old is cool...and expensive! 

If I had the chance, I'd own both my car AND a 996, and I can say pretty easily the air cooled wouldn't get driven anywhere near as much as the other one would. Unfortunately for me, I'm quite attached to my car, and it would take a serious offer well above what I think it's 'worth' to let it go, and the the right 996 to be for sale at the right price for me to actually buy one. I have a rough idea of my cars value, and others have said its worth more some say others say less, yet everything is for sale at a price. It just depends how much a buyer is prepared to stump up for an a/c I s'pose, and if mine was worth GT3 money, it wouldn't be in my shed for very long I can assure you that 😁

If it were all about performance gt3 buyers would be selling their cars for Tesla’s. But we all know it’s about more than 0-100 acceleration and it’s about how the car makes you feel. Having had a g series and a 997 in the garage I always ended up grabbing the g series keys for any drive other than commute to work. 

4 hours ago, LeeM said:

@Stephen Tinker Mate, a/c values have been questioned/debated/justified/unjustified for the past 5-6 years or so. In fact, look at any older car now and try to justify their asking prices/values compared to newer cars which do eveything much better/easier. A Datsun 1600 for 60 grand? Really? 

As you may know, I've been on and off with selling my backdate to buy a 996, yet every time my decision not to (and I've been very close a few times) has basically come down to looks and the nostalgia of owning an old 911...and the missus in my ear saying "Don't sell it, coz you'll regret it and I'll have to listen to you whinging for twenty years!" Hate it when she's right sometimes 🙄

To me, a 996 doesn't do things that differently to my car, apart from being more comfortable, has air cond, faster, brake and handle better. Even though I've never driven a GT3, I imagine they would feel 'similar' in architecture with similar handling characteristics to a point. Is an air cooled worth similar/more money than a GT3/GT4? My honest opinion is no, not really, and I too can't get my head around it, but that's just how it is in these times of everything old is cool...and expensive! 

If I had the chance, I'd own both my car AND a 996, and I can say pretty easily the air cooled wouldn't get driven anywhere near as much as the other one would. Unfortunately for me, I'm quite attached to my car, and it would take a serious offer well above what I think it's 'worth' to let it go, and the the right 996 to be for sale at the right price for me to actually buy one. I have a rough idea of my cars value, and others have said its worth more some say others say less, yet everything is for sale at a price. It just depends how much a buyer is prepared to stump up for an a/c I s'pose, and if mine was worth GT3 money, it wouldn't be in my shed for very long I can assure you that 😁

Having both the 996 and the aircooled, I can say they are a very different experience. I drove the 996 to work again this morning (as I have been driving just the AC for the last couple of weeks). The 996, is much more comfortable, and much easier to drive fast, but with that is it just a bit more boring than the old car. The new stuff is great, but to me it is nowhere near as cool as the old stuff. That goes for all cars for me. I will always admire an old muscle car, hot rod, or whatever on the street, where if a Huracan drives past it doesn't get a second glance. 

^ what he said..  New 'Super Cars' are Meh IMO, and all to common a sight on the roads nowadays, farting and backfiring down the street..  Much rather see an old classic burn past.  Having said that, its a sign of out era I guess..  Not too many young lads cast an eye toward the older classic though.

Off for a drive to Toowoomba today.. Do I take the air conditioned comfy 996 or the windows down '76 AC..  Haven't looked at how hot it'll be today here in Brissy, nut I've already decided ;) 

11 hours ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

Porsche made 190,000+ G series cars.  

I'd harbour a guess there's significantly less GT4s.

GT3s, the numbers only get "big" in the 991 range

996 -  4000 ish, plus ~680 RS'

997 - 4500 ish, plus ~ 2600 RS and 600 4.0 RS'

991's I've seen number ranging 4-6k across both the GT3 and RS destinations is .1 and .2 guise.  

G series, over 15 years of course.

But then if you're comparing surely it would need to be against a limited run G series car, say Carrera 3.0, or Club Sport.

Agree with comments above. It's a different buyer pool with different expectations. When I was 25yrs old I was deciding b/w either a new Harley or a new Honda Fireblade. Two completely different bikes. I went with the Harley, and I still have it today at the age of 46yrs. The sports bikes were always getting faster, lighter, and with new fancy colour schemes, whereas the Harley had a classic style that would date well. I still think it looks great today 21yrs later. It's the sound, smell, and feel, much like the older A/C cars. 

AAA.thumb.jpg.3e92c42861dc561a7d521f74d9424445.jpg

Seriously? I had no idea. My brother at the time had a CBR900RR in purple and yellow colour scheme. I was looking at the smaller brother CBR600F. 

Up until a few years ago we used to do the Steven Walter Thredbo Snowy Ride with a few clients. Every couple of years the guys would have new bikes, and they couldn't believe I'd have the same bike year after year. I'm too attached to it now. Bought it before I met my wife and have alot of good memories.

1 hour ago, MFX said:

Having both the 996 and the aircooled, I can say they are a very different experience. I drove the 996 to work again this morning (as I have been driving just the AC for the last couple of weeks). The 996, is much more comfortable, and much easier to drive fast, but with that is it just a bit more boring than the old car. The new stuff is great, but to me it is nowhere near as cool as the old stuff. That goes for all cars for me. I will always admire an old muscle car, hot rod, or whatever on the street, where if a Huracan drives past it doesn't get a second glance. 

You need a 993 mate 😉  Air con that works and AC .. and best value out there 

1 hour ago, MFX said:

The 996, is much more comfortable, and much easier to drive fast, but with that is it just a bit more boring than the old car.

That seems to be the consensus among some owners. I know a couple of guys who have owned old ones to buy newer ones, then gone back to old for the same reason...they're boring. 

The amount I drive mine now (max 10-12 times a year) as I'm bored with it to be honest, though would a later car scratch my boredom itch? Maybe for a while, but then I'm back to square one again. Being the indecisive, procrastinating fence sitter that I am, I'll just keep what I have and clean it up a bit

And I totally agree with the new Supercar thing. They all look the same to me and don't float my boat at all

7 hours ago, LeeM said:

I've built/owned an early hotrod 911 - it took up nearly 20 years of my life; and there is something incredibly special about them.  BUT I'm in a 996 now and wouldn't go back...  There's lots of reasons for this of course, and my reasons are different to other people's reasons.  But as a 50+ old man I am loving the comfort, driveability, access to resources (repairs) and sociability (neighbours ;) ) of the modern 911.  Comparing them is barely apples and apples, for all intents and purpose it's a pointless argument. You'll know when you're ready to change, I did :)

Thank goodness we all have different tastes, otherwise we would be fighting over the same cars!

I'd love a later model car (997 the latest though) to share the garage. Everyone knows the equation for the number of cars to own is n+1. 😉 

Of course newer Porsches are faster / more comfortable than the A/C cars! Hell most modern hot hatches will be faster too,  but there is far more to ownership than just performance figures. The G - series model is the shape I drooled over as a kid so my 84 Carrera is the keeper!

4 hours ago, MFX said:

....996, is much more comfortable, and much easier to drive fast, but with that is it just a bit more boring than the old car....... 

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

That seems to be the consensus ........they're boring. 

You both clearly need to drive the right  type  of 996.. more mods