Jump to content
wasserkuhl

Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Recommended Posts

On 16/01/2021 at 20:17, LeeM said:

 I hope for Cam's sake it is sold, yet as like many other 'sales', it's not sold till the money has been handed over and out of the showroom

Thanks Guys - yes it didn't last long before a deposit was taken.  And agree with you Lee!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Cam Arnott said:

Thanks Guys - yes it didn't last long before a deposit was taken.  And agree with you Lee!

 Reckon you know that more than most mate 😁

 Great news though 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LeeM said:

 Reckon you know that more than most mate 😁

 Great news though 👍

What was the advertised asking price?  ( asking for a friend!!!!!   😀 )

This sale moved so fast that I missed the original post. Fingers crossed  for Cam that its a 'tidy' sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zelrik911 said:

What was the advertised asking price?  ( asking for a friend!!!!!   😀 )

The price was $139,900

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did this really sell for $230K?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1985-porsche-911-carrera-manual/SSE-AD-6968005/?Cr=0

This is a new one to market...but I think I've seen this listed once before some time ago. May be having another go in the current climate?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1984-porsche-911-carrera-manual/SSE-AD-7011681/?Cr=1

And finally this looks very clean for an import. Price seems ok too.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1974-porsche-911-carrera-manual/SSE-AD-7011764/?Cr=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nikos said:

Did this really sell for $230K?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1985-porsche-911-carrera-manual/SSE-AD-6968005/?Cr=0

This is a new one to market...but I think I've seen this listed once before some time ago. May be having another go in the current climate?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1984-porsche-911-carrera-manual/SSE-AD-7011681/?Cr=1

And finally this looks very clean for an import. Price seems ok too.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1974-porsche-911-carrera-manual/SSE-AD-7011764/?Cr=0

Second car is mine. Have never advertised it before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, GusTV said:

Second car is mine. Have never advertised it before.

There was a similar car listed with the same wheels, but was double to mileage. Stunning car GusTV - good luck with the sale!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still cannot get my head around the fact that quite a few of these early air cooled cars with high mileages and unknown histories are in the (up to 3 months ago) 996 GT3 and GT4 prices.

I know the A/C cars are looked upon as different, but sorry, the values do not compute. Porsche GT cars are - and always will be - in a different league compared to the normal Carrera models so either these air cooled variants are overpriced or the GT3 / GT4  cars are underpriced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

I still cannot get my head around the fact that quite a few of these early air cooled cars with high mileages and unknown histories are in the (up to 3 months ago) 996 GT3 and GT4 prices.

I know the A/C cars are looked upon as different, but sorry, the values do not compute. Porsche GT cars are - and always will be - in a different league compared to the normal Carrera models so either these air cooled variants are overpriced or the GT3 / GT4  cars are underpriced. 

I think it comes down to numbers. So many more modern cars being produced now. How many GT3’s are produced every year now by comparison to early air cooled cars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

I still cannot get my head around the fact that quite a few of these early air cooled cars with high mileages and unknown histories are in the (up to 3 months ago) 996 GT3 and GT4 prices.

I know the A/C cars are looked upon as different, but sorry, the values do not compute. Porsche GT cars are - and always will be - in a different league compared to the normal Carrera models so either these air cooled variants are overpriced or the GT3 / GT4  cars are underpriced. 

With respect, you’re comparing Apples to Pears. The earlier and rarer the car, the more of its value is due to it being a collectable per se.  They are also generally sought by very different buyer groups, who are after totally different experiences from their cars. 
 

And it’s not just Porsche, the price gap of vintage/classic to new is even bigger in Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston etc etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

.... so either these air cooled variants are overpriced or the GT3 / GT4  cars are underpriced. 

Simple, I didn't have a picture of a GT4 taped inside my Globite school case, I had a G model.  I suspect I'm not alone.  Logic doesn't come into it.

3 hours ago, GusTV said:

Second car is mine. Have never advertised it before.

Beautiful example!

Gus,

Can you detail what was done to the engine during the rebuild? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turra said:

I think it comes down to numbers. So many more modern cars being produced now. How many GT3’s are produced every year now by comparison to early air cooled cars. 

Porsche made 190,000+ G series cars.  

I'd harbour a guess there's significantly less GT4s.

GT3s, the numbers only get "big" in the 991 range

996 -  4000 ish, plus ~680 RS'

997 - 4500 ish, plus ~ 2600 RS and 600 4.0 RS'

991's I've seen number ranging 4-6k across both the GT3 and RS destinations is .1 and .2 guise.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

I still cannot get my head around the fact that quite a few of these early air cooled cars with high mileages and unknown histories are in the (up to 3 months ago) 996 GT3 and GT4 prices.

I know the A/C cars are looked upon as different, but sorry, the values do not compute. Porsche GT cars are - and always will be - in a different league compared to the normal Carrera models so either these air cooled variants are overpriced or the GT3 / GT4  cars are underpriced. 

Totally agree @Stephen Tinker.  
Having previously owned an ‘85 Carrera, and now a 996.2 GT3 I can appreciate just how different these cars are...... and in reality how much better a car the GT3 is.....

.... but as others have said, I get the romance & collectibility of older cars.

No doubt a Lambo Hurrican would smash a miura, but we know where the big money is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 @Stephen Tinker Mate, a/c values have been questioned/debated/justified/unjustified for the past 5-6 years or so. In fact, look at any older car now and try to justify their asking prices/values compared to newer cars which do eveything much better/easier. A Datsun 1600 for 60 grand? Really? 

 As you may know, I've been on and off with selling my backdate to buy a 996, yet every time my decision not to (and I've been very close a few times) has basically come down to looks and the nostalgia of owning an old 911...and the missus in my ear saying "Don't sell it, coz you'll regret it and I'll have to listen to you whinging for twenty years!" Hate it when she's right sometimes 🙄

 To me, a 996 doesn't do things that differently to my car, apart from being more comfortable, has air cond, faster, brake and handle better. Even though I've never driven a GT3, I imagine they would feel 'similar' in architecture with similar handling characteristics to a point. Is an air cooled worth similar/more money than a GT3/GT4? My honest opinion is no, not really, and I too can't get my head around it, but that's just how it is in these times of everything old is cool...and expensive! 

 If I had the chance, I'd own both my car AND a 996, and I can say pretty easily the air cooled wouldn't get driven anywhere near as much as the other one would. Unfortunately for me, I'm quite attached to my car, and it would take a serious offer well above what I think it's 'worth' to let it go, and the the right 996 to be for sale at the right price for me to actually buy one. I have a rough idea of my cars value, and others have said its worth more some say others say less, yet everything is for sale at a price. It just depends how much a buyer is prepared to stump up for an a/c I s'pose, and if mine was worth GT3 money, it wouldn't be in my shed for very long I can assure you that 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it were all about performance gt3 buyers would be selling their cars for Tesla’s. But we all know it’s about more than 0-100 acceleration and it’s about how the car makes you feel. Having had a g series and a 997 in the garage I always ended up grabbing the g series keys for any drive other than commute to work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Peter M said:

 

Can you detail what was done to the engine during the rebuild? 

Peter it seems my reply to you was deleted. Not sure why - I did re up my financial membership yesterday morning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, GusTV said:

re up my financial membership

You show up as non FM, that's why

@Orlando - can you please address and update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LeeM said:

 @Stephen Tinker Mate, a/c values have been questioned/debated/justified/unjustified for the past 5-6 years or so. In fact, look at any older car now and try to justify their asking prices/values compared to newer cars which do eveything much better/easier. A Datsun 1600 for 60 grand? Really? 

 As you may know, I've been on and off with selling my backdate to buy a 996, yet every time my decision not to (and I've been very close a few times) has basically come down to looks and the nostalgia of owning an old 911...and the missus in my ear saying "Don't sell it, coz you'll regret it and I'll have to listen to you whinging for twenty years!" Hate it when she's right sometimes 🙄

 To me, a 996 doesn't do things that differently to my car, apart from being more comfortable, has air cond, faster, brake and handle better. Even though I've never driven a GT3, I imagine they would feel 'similar' in architecture with similar handling characteristics to a point. Is an air cooled worth similar/more money than a GT3/GT4? My honest opinion is no, not really, and I too can't get my head around it, but that's just how it is in these times of everything old is cool...and expensive! 

 If I had the chance, I'd own both my car AND a 996, and I can say pretty easily the air cooled wouldn't get driven anywhere near as much as the other one would. Unfortunately for me, I'm quite attached to my car, and it would take a serious offer well above what I think it's 'worth' to let it go, and the the right 996 to be for sale at the right price for me to actually buy one. I have a rough idea of my cars value, and others have said its worth more some say others say less, yet everything is for sale at a price. It just depends how much a buyer is prepared to stump up for an a/c I s'pose, and if mine was worth GT3 money, it wouldn't be in my shed for very long I can assure you that 😁

Having both the 996 and the aircooled, I can say they are a very different experience. I drove the 996 to work again this morning (as I have been driving just the AC for the last couple of weeks). The 996, is much more comfortable, and much easier to drive fast, but with that is it just a bit more boring than the old car. The new stuff is great, but to me it is nowhere near as cool as the old stuff. That goes for all cars for me. I will always admire an old muscle car, hot rod, or whatever on the street, where if a Huracan drives past it doesn't get a second glance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ what he said..  New 'Super Cars' are Meh IMO, and all to common a sight on the roads nowadays, farting and backfiring down the street..  Much rather see an old classic burn past.  Having said that, its a sign of out era I guess..  Not too many young lads cast an eye toward the older classic though.

Off for a drive to Toowoomba today.. Do I take the air conditioned comfy 996 or the windows down '76 AC..  Haven't looked at how hot it'll be today here in Brissy, nut I've already decided ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

Porsche made 190,000+ G series cars.  

I'd harbour a guess there's significantly less GT4s.

GT3s, the numbers only get "big" in the 991 range

996 -  4000 ish, plus ~680 RS'

997 - 4500 ish, plus ~ 2600 RS and 600 4.0 RS'

991's I've seen number ranging 4-6k across both the GT3 and RS destinations is .1 and .2 guise.  

G series, over 15 years of course.

But then if you're comparing surely it would need to be against a limited run G series car, say Carrera 3.0, or Club Sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with comments above. It's a different buyer pool with different expectations. When I was 25yrs old I was deciding b/w either a new Harley or a new Honda Fireblade. Two completely different bikes. I went with the Harley, and I still have it today at the age of 46yrs. The sports bikes were always getting faster, lighter, and with new fancy colour schemes, whereas the Harley had a classic style that would date well. I still think it looks great today 21yrs later. It's the sound, smell, and feel, much like the older A/C cars. 

AAA.thumb.jpg.3e92c42861dc561a7d521f74d9424445.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, P-Kay said:

You show up as non FM, that's why

@Orlando - can you please address and update

I also became FM ,but doesn't show on my profile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously? I had no idea. My brother at the time had a CBR900RR in purple and yellow colour scheme. I was looking at the smaller brother CBR600F. 

Up until a few years ago we used to do the Steven Walter Thredbo Snowy Ride with a few clients. Every couple of years the guys would have new bikes, and they couldn't believe I'd have the same bike year after year. I'm too attached to it now. Bought it before I met my wife and have alot of good memories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

PFA [Porsche Forum Australia]

This is an online platform for like-minded Porsche fans/fanatics/tragics to come together to read, chat and share.

It is also a platform to arrange and participate in off-line social meet-ups, events and drives.

×
×
  • Create New...