Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

38 minutes ago, base said:

what do you guys think of this SC? It looks fairly tidy but appears to be from the UK?  And does the leading edge of the passenger door have a funny panel gap or is it just an optical illusion 

Nice looking car.

If its had a full resto, not "I'm selling my car, so I'll hide a bunch of crap with paint and bog", then in these crazy price times it's probably on the money if you compare it to an Aussie car.

If an imported Targa that needs body, paint and a top end rebuild is being advertised for $78k, then this is a bargain 😁

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1975-porsche-911-2-7-project-car

I found myself winning this auction and am yet to see it. Australian delivered matching numbers coupe which runs. The rust is surprisingly bad in doors and several common locations but the pan and shell is said to be solid. 

Thoughts? Being a local car has me confused as to what should I do from here. Resto mod? Backdate? Will need new doors for sure I'd say. The other areas of rust will hopefully be repairable with some fabricated patches and repairs and I do have some experience in this area. And a new Mig! Pan and suspension pick up points look solid. Amazing how much a galvanized car can actually rust!

I had a 912 with 2.7 many many years ago and regretfully sold it sold it to build my home. It was a bare shell when I bought that and came up really well. Maybe I recreate that. But what might be the wisest way to go?  Decisions decisions! 

0D3A7483.jpg

0D3A7595.jpg

0D3A7609.jpg

0D3A7447 (1).jpg

0D3A7516.jpg

0D3A7451.jpg

0D3A7443.jpg

0D3A7589.jpg

0D3A7598.jpg

0D3A7545.jpg

0D3A7524.jpg

0D3A7494.jpg

0D3A7571.jpg

0D3A7581.jpg

22 minutes ago, NVS911 said:

I found myself winning this auction and am yet to see it. Australian delivered matching numbers coupe which runs. The rust is surprisingly bad in doors and several common locations but the pan and shell is said to be solid. 

Thoughts? Being a local car has me confused as to what should I do from here. Resto mod? Backdate? Will need new doors for sure I'd say. The other areas of rust will hopefully be repairable with some fabricated patches and repairs and I do have some experience in this area. And a new Mig! Pan and suspension pick up points look solid. Amazing how much a galvanized car can actually rust!

I had a 912 with 2.7 many many years ago and regretfully sold it sold it to build my home. It was a bare shell when I bought that and came up really well. Maybe I recreate that. But what might be the wisest way to go?  Decisions decisions! 

0D3A7483.jpg

0D3A7595.jpg

0D3A7609.jpg

0D3A7447 (1).jpg

0D3A7516.jpg

0D3A7451.jpg

0D3A7443.jpg

0D3A7589.jpg

0D3A7598.jpg

0D3A7545.jpg

0D3A7524.jpg

0D3A7494.jpg

0D3A7571.jpg

0D3A7581.jpg

Brave man! I was going to bid on this too but was too scared of the rust I couldn’t see. At least you got it for the right price, but please restore it to original, there’s just not many of these sweet little narrow 2.7’s around 

1 minute ago, 911virgin said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1997-porsche-911-carrera-s-993-auto/OAG-AD-19582449/?Cr=8

what sort of things start breaking down at 167000kms and what sort of repair $ costs are we looking at?

The first thing that will go will be your enjoyment level as it is an auto and while some here will say it’s wonderful, it’s actually not. The transmission is laggy, benign and quite slow overall. Only my opinion but drove it for yourself and see what you think.

11 minutes ago, 911virgin said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1997-porsche-911-carrera-s-993-auto/OAG-AD-19582449/?Cr=8

what sort of things start breaking down at 167000kms and what sort of repair $ costs are we looking at?

I've had my 993 for over 15 years & It's done well over 200,000km. In 100,000+ km of ownership I've done the clutch, brakes, suspension refresh & regular servicing. Besides standard maintenance & perishable items the only other area's that required some work was the AirCond condenser & the HVAC unit. Overall it's been a pleasure to own & not an expensive car. I had a GTI Golf as a daily for a while & realised it was false economy because it cost me twice as much as the 993 to keep on the road...ha ha....good luck !!

17 minutes ago, Turra said:

The first thing that will go will be your enjoyment level as it is an auto and while some here will say it’s wonderful, it’s actually not. The transmission is laggy, benign and quite slow overall. Only my opinion but drove it for yourself and see what you think.

It’s an old Porsche. You will need to spend $20k on it. Just a matter of when... 😬😬😬

9 hours ago, base said:

what do you guys think of this SC? It looks fairly tidy but appears to be from the UK?  And does the leading edge of the passenger door have a funny panel gap or is it just an optical illusion?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1980-porsche-911-sc-manual/SSE-AD-7062420

I actually enquired about this car as it looked nice, as did the asking price. There is no mention in the ad of it being an import. I then noticed the MPH speedo and queried the owner if it was a UK import. He advised there was no service records available and had to have his mechanic check for him to confirm that it was indeed a UK import. Thought it strange that the owner didn't know what he had?

37 minutes ago, MR901 said:

I've had my 993 for over 15 years & It's done well over 200,000km. In 100,000+ km of ownership I've done the clutch, brakes, suspension refresh & regular servicing. Besides standard maintenance & perishable items the only other area's that required some work was the AirCond condenser & the HVAC unit. Overall it's been a pleasure to own & not an expensive car. I had a GTI Golf as a daily for a while & realised it was false economy because it cost me twice as much as the 993 to keep on the road...ha ha....good luck !!

thanks for the intel MR901,

what did all that maintenance work cost roughly?

59 minutes ago, Nikos said:

I actually enquired about this car as it looked nice, as did the asking price. There is no mention in the ad of it being an import. I then noticed the MPH speedo and queried the owner if it was a UK import. He advised there was no service records available and had to have his mechanic check for him to confirm that it was indeed a UK import. Thought it strange that the owner didn't know what he had?

I notice that he's since changed the ad to say it's a UK import. I think it's also a bit strange that he claims extensive restoration work but zero details about it in the ad other than to say he's had the seats retrimmed. Not that it means anything, but just seems odd.

@NVS911... to your question, what to do? It’s what you get the biggest smile from... stay original, backdate, restomod. It’s really a personal choice.   There’s a great reason to and not to for each if this thread continues with more comments I suspect.

personally, even though I own a mongrel Franken-mod, if I bought an original car, I’d stay with it & make it nice. If it was already modded though, go to town and mod away. That’s my approach.

5 hours ago, NVS911 said:

IMO the early narrow G body's are sweet... please keep it original! 

As for how to approach it? In my opinion and what I'd likely do is get it mechanically A1 and put rego on it, enjoy it, debug anything that is a persistent issue and when the timing is right, just go for the kill, bite the bullet and do a full body resto & repaint... the rust won't stop you enjoying it in the interim, might be unsightly but if there is no structural rust (which doesn't appear to be) then you're good to go for a long while! 

In my experience, there is nothing worse than buying a car as a project that you never get to enjoy... yet endure up to years of building and paying bills on! If you enjoy it first whether that is 6 months or 6 years before restoration, then at least you are starting your relationship on a good note, if you feel good starting the restoration, then you'll carry that vibe to the other side. 

good luck

5 hours ago, NVS911 said:

#RATROD

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLCLzGClxQI/

6 hours ago, 901er said:

Brave man! I was going to bid on this too but was too scared of the rust I couldn’t see. At least you got it for the right price, but please restore it to original, there’s just not many of these sweet little narrow 2.7’s around 

Your auction bid sets a G series 911 ' benchmark price' at the low end - as none of its faults are hidden;  yet it still is worth 50K to a knowledgeable person.

I think your Project must be to make it original, otherwise you wont ever be close to recovering the level of funding put into the car.

You should try and track down some local history - it might have been a tourist delivery purchase (which was quite common then) and might explain that rust.

Even in this poor state,  I reckon its a good looking car.

@NVS911

I'm an advocate for backdating these narrow bodies, and probably what I'd do as they're the perfect candidate, yet unless you wanna spend double your purchase price or more (probably) to get it nice, I'd just tart it up half decent, get it running nice and drive it. If its just minor rust issues, I wouldn't worry too much unless it bothers you

13 minutes ago, Shedpest said:

I'm an anti back-dater, leave it as is.

Seconded. Wonder if in 10 years we look back on the back dated cars like many do the forward dates today?

Love the blue and look of your new purchase (minus the rust) @NVS911. I'm another in the camp to just fix the rust issues and keep the current narrow bodies sexy style!

On 31/01/2021 at 09:30, Jdmc said:

What’s going on here, 2.7 911sc?? Rear wheels look weird in the arch from above too?

Mis-type or incorrectly listed.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1982-porsche-911-sc-manual/SSE-AD-7031963

Looks like this one has gone up in value over the last 3 weeks now asking $102K

14 hours ago, base said:

what do you guys think of this SC? It looks fairly tidy but appears to be from the UK?  And does the leading edge of the passenger door have a funny panel gap or is it just an optical illusion?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1980-porsche-911-sc-manual/SSE-AD-7062420

Does look nice!

Though 3.2 Carrera front valance?

3 minutes ago, Zelrik911 said:

I think your Project must be to make it original, otherwise you wont ever be close to recovering the level of funding put into the car.

That depends on who you ask 😁

I know some who would spend the same or more buying a nice backdate over a restored standard car. I also know people who have spent an amount of cash on modifying/backdating their cars, knowing only too well that cost far outweighs it's sale value. Horses for courses I s'pose 😁👍

5 hours ago, Zelrik911 said:

I think whilst this can be A consideration (for some), it shouldn’t be the ONLY or even the primary consideration.  If it is, you’re in the wrong hobby. 

My 2c, your mileage may vary.