Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

On 19/02/2021 at 06:27, 901er said:

Brave man! I was going to bid on this too but was too scared of the rust I couldn’t see. At least you got it for the right price, but please restore it to original, there’s just not many of these sweet little narrow 2.7’s around 

Thanks Philbee for letting me have her. I rang another mate to check he wasn't bidding and would have left it if he was. The truth is I hadn't looked at all the pics. I'd only had a quick look and had put a reminder in my phone @15mins to go, when I checked low 40's, I thought hang on, this seems reasonable for the price, Au & Rhd, sunroof plus it was Hamilton's. Plus i let go my first Pcar 2.7 29 years ago. Quickly registered, won and... Then saw the rest of the 137 photos! 🤯

On 18/02/2021 at 23:59, base said:

what do you guys think of this SC? It looks fairly tidy but appears to be from the UK?  And does the leading edge of the passenger door have a funny panel gap or is it just an optical illusion?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1980-porsche-911-sc-manual/SSE-AD-7062420

This SC Coupe didn't last long at $100K. Good looking UK car & he said he wanted a quick sale !!!

I wonder if its going to pop up again at a higher price? He probably thought because it was a 'dirty import' there wouldn't be much interest - & then got stampeded.

On 19/02/2021 at 11:14, edgy said:

IMO the early narrow G body's are sweet... please keep it original! 

As for how to approach it? In my opinion and what I'd likely do is get it mechanically A1 and put rego on it, enjoy it, debug anything that is a persistent issue and when the timing is right, just go for the kill, bite the bullet and do a full body resto & repaint... the rust won't stop you enjoying it in the interim, might be unsightly but if there is no structural rust (which doesn't appear to be) then you're good to go for a long while! 

In my experience, there is nothing worse than buying a car as a project that you never get to enjoy... yet endure up to years of building and paying bills on! If you enjoy it first whether that is 6 months or 6 years before restoration, then at least you are starting your relationship on a good note, if you feel good starting the restoration, then you'll carry that vibe to the other side. 

good luck

@edgythat would be interesting at a cars and coffee, registered as rust and all. Those guys with old Beetles & Kombis, I don't know how they manage to keep them looking so barn find, waxed or coated in a satin somehow. 

I concur on the long term project issue, don't ask me how I know! 

On 19/02/2021 at 13:04, Zelrik911 said:

Your auction bid sets a G series 911 ' benchmark price' at the low end - as none of its faults are hidden;  yet it still is worth 50K to a knowledgeable person.

I think your Project must be to make it original, otherwise you wont ever be close to recovering the level of funding put into the car.

You should try and track down some local history - it might have been a tourist delivery purchase (which was quite common then) and might explain that rust.

Even in this poor state,  I reckon its a good looking car.

Thanks for that! I'll be doing that for sure. It's a Victorian car, VicRoads confirmed last rego expired in 2005. Had an 18 day URV permit 6 years ago.

On 19/02/2021 at 13:07, LeeM said:

@NVS911

I'm an advocate for backdating these narrow bodies, and probably what I'd do as they're the perfect candidate, yet unless you wanna spend double your purchase price or more (probably) to get it nice, I'd just tart it up half decent, get it running nice and drive it. If its just minor rust issues, I wouldn't worry too much unless it bothers you

Thanks @LeeMI don't really know but I've always assumed those really immaculate restored cars have had a bomb spent on them, perhaps more than they are worth but maybe that is changing. I think I do prefer immaculate to old. Our 84 3.2 is very 'as is' since we got it 5 years ago, with a few rust spots around the screen and 1 minor door blister which haven't developed much at all.

On 19/02/2021 at 13:44, Shedpest said:

I'm an anti back-dater, leave it as is, if you want a long bonnet then buy one.

Love the narrow body look

0U5A0362-1.jpg

That's super nice @Shedpest. I've always liked Carrera or Turbo flares more, but that does look very classic with no tail.

Actually you've just reminded me I have a set of 16 x 6's tucked away from too many years ago and kept. Could be a sign! 

23 hours ago, Dalai said:

Seconded. Wonder if in 10 years we look back on the back dated cars like many do the forward dates today?

Love the blue and look of your new purchase (minus the rust) @NVS911. I'm another in the camp to just fix the rust issues and keep the current narrow bodies sexy style!

Thanks @Dalai Porsche have confirmed it was delivered as Gemini Blue metallic.

20 hours ago, LeeM said:

That depends on who you ask 😁

I know some who would spend the same or more buying a nice backdate over a restored standard car. I also know people who have spent an amount of cash on modifying/backdating their cars, knowing only too well that cost far outweighs it's sale value. Horses for courses I s'pose 😁👍

So true!

19 hours ago, OBRUT said:

I think whilst this can be A consideration (for some), it shouldn’t be the ONLY or even the primary consideration.  If it is, you’re in the wrong hobby. 

My 2c, your mileage may vary. 

@OBRUT yes it's certainly not just the dollars in this. There is a whole mix of hot PCar motions at work when you have something which needs so much work and the possibilities are endless.

What would a 911 total interior restoration cost, does anyone have a rough idea, maybe excluding the dash and just recovering & original style carpet and headliner? I guess leather for the seats.

2 hours ago, Zelrik911 said:

This SC Coupe didn't last long at $100K. Good looking UK car & he said he wanted a quick sale !!!

I wonder if its going to pop up again at a higher price? He probably thought because it was a 'dirty import' there wouldn't be much interest - & then got stampeded.

Good buying, as they say...

On 22/02/2021 at 14:56, NVS911 said:

Thanks Hugh, what a fab shot and even better words below it! 

Hmmm, don't know about the scares & bruises etc. Would I prefer to look at an Elle Macpherson or a 50 years old Collingwood supporter with half her teeth missing and saggy tattoos?? I know what the answer is

Apologies for the stereo typing of Collingwood supporters 😁

A rusted Porsche from the 1950s that needs a complete refurbishment has already attracted an offer more than $100,000 through classic cars retailer Shannons.

Shannons Summer Timed Auction has listed a complete and Australian-delivered 1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet, which has spent the past 25 years rusting beneath a church at Newmarket in Brisbane.

It requires total refurbishment but has already attracted an offer of $110,000 before online bidding closes at 7pm on Tuesday.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/motoring/luxury/rusted-old-porsche-attracts-whopping-bid/news-story/bf12cc782e02fa10c76ffb21a8cdb615

22 minutes ago, Mttel said:

Lots of "Oh FFS, if you didn't work on it all last year while we were locked in the house, when will you??" type conversations happening? 😁

4 hours ago, luzzo said:

“For the astute investor”.. be quick... “they only have one”.