Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

On 23/05/2021 at 14:30, LeeM said:

Really? That's nuts if it still needed work, yet to what kind of standard? If it's concourse he was/is after, then I dare say most cars at that price point or even higher will require some work to bring it up to an acceptable quality. 

Paint was average and just your general wear and tear that you'd expect on any 911 with 160,000kms. 

I confirmed it has been sold for the full asking price.

I don't think it's that unusual. You now have cars like RX7, GTR and Supras, pushing over 100k. Just under $170ish isn't really big money considering what they're fetching, not to mention the rarity. 

19 hours ago, Coastr said:

I remember when you could buy a car like that for 69 and thought it was a lot.  Now there’s a 1 in front and they still need work like before.

Correct, just because there is at least another $100k tacked onto most air cooled 911s today does not mean they are $100k better, just older and probably that little bit more knacker than they were 5-10yrs ago.

2 hours ago, wangan said:

I confirmed it has been sold for the full asking price.

I don't think it's that unusual. You now have cars like RX7, GTR and Supras, pushing over 100k. Just under $170ish isn't really big money considering what they're fetching, not to mention the rarity. 

I s'pose I'm still in the mindset that these old cars aren't worth the asking prices. I'm not just talking about Porsches here, it's ALL of these older cars that were $10-20-30k just 5 years ago. They're not $100k better to drive or better to look at, they're exactly the same as they were 5-10-30 years ago, only just a LOT more expensive.

It is a lot of money to those who don't have the means when all they want to do is own their dream car, and that's a bloody shame. But that's me 😁

On 23/05/2021 at 14:06, wangan said:

.....so I'm assuming it sold for asking.

I've bought two 3.2's from Autohaus and have never managed to knock them down more than a few bucks.  Good to hear I'm not the only hopeless bargainer!

8 minutes ago, mrar said:

A friends very nice 68T swb has just come up for sale.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1968-porsche-911-t-manual/SSE-AD-7240327/?Cr=2

Looks like a very tidy car ! 

I checked out a "66T swb 2 days ago in Noosa while I was there.  

@mrar have you driven this car ?  

9 hours ago, theplanner said:

I can't see the link on carsales anymore, but from your description I think I may have been the idiot who bought the car ...lol...least its in Sunny qld ;)

Car drives amazing, kudos to all the great work you/ your friend/ DH has done to the car.  Im loving it!

Enjoy.. hope you got all the photos , I have the videos somewhere 

14 hours ago, LeeM said:

I s'pose I'm still in the mindset that these old cars aren't worth the asking prices. I'm not just talking about Porsches here, it's ALL of these older cars that were $10-20-30k just 5 years ago. They're not $100k better to drive or better to look at, they're exactly the same as they were 5-10-30 years ago, only just a LOT more expensive.

It is a lot of money to those who don't have the means when all they want to do is own their dream car, and that's a bloody shame. But that's me 😁

Supply and demand. Same thing goes for house prices and every other asset if you put it like that really. 

The cars are getting older, there's alot less supply around and people that grew up admiring these cars can finally afford them. Naturally prices increase add a bit of inflation into the mix and we are where we are. 

I wouldn't be suprised if we see 996 GT3s at $250k soon. 

1 hour ago, wangan said:

Supply and demand. Same thing goes for house prices and every other asset if you put it like that really. 

The cars are getting older, there's alot less supply around and people that grew up admiring these cars can finally afford them. Naturally prices increase add a bit of inflation into the mix and we are where we are. 

I wouldn't be suprised if we see 996 GT3s at $250k soon. 

+ e-bikes, sausage dogs and Caboodles

14 hours ago, symsy said:

Enjoy.. hope you got all the photos , I have the videos somewhere 

Been trawling through the web and found old pics here and there, and vids on youtube of DH on the track.  Just been curious about the car's history, because I was really surprised how well it handled.  Gonna take it on track for the 1st time since buying it, in couple of weeks.  However, it's been in workshop the last 4 weeks to refreshen up a few things and replace corroded cables, coil pack, & distributor leads etc.  

BTW, if you dun mind me asking, is the green dial between the clock & speedo the brake bias adjuster? 

IMG_6654.jpg

1 hour ago, theplanner said:

Been trawling through the web and found old pics here and there, and vids on youtube of DH on the track.  Just been curious about the car's history, because I was really surprised how well it handled.  Gonna take it on track for the 1st time since buying it, in couple of weeks.  However, it's been in workshop the last 4 weeks to refreshen up a few things and replace corroded cables, coil pack, & distributor leads etc.  

BTW, if you dun mind me asking, is the green dial between the clock & speedo the brake bias adjuster? 

IMG_6654.jpg

Yup BIAS , drop me a PM , I have the suspensions specs and various other build data if Shaun didnt give em to ya 

On 24/05/2021 at 17:52, LeeM said:

Agree with this - a bloody shame indeed when we could all be having more fun spending alot less of our hard earned $$ on just buying a car - notwithstanding it's a P of course. 

I going to go out on a limb here and suggest that it also feels like it's a bit of self-fulfilling prophecy when the majority of us P owners love the idea of seeing our own cars that we paid X$ for a few years ago or more going up significantly in price and perceived value so fast.  In a world that the lowest ever interest rates likely in our life time continues to fuel.  And then we also get caught once we do sell and realise a tidy profit of having a severe case of FOMO -   and so we play on.  And we jump back in and buy the next P we have been eyeing off or wanting to add to the collection for those with enough means to do so,  whilst paying more $$ than we ought to be.   

And so the cycle continues .... for how long ? .... until interest rates go up again and the stock market takes another dive and house prices start levelling off or dropping from their own overvalued/priced trend.   And then we all feel the need to be more cautious and pull our heads back in again.   At least some of us ... me included 🙂  🙂 

BUT - do I have the self-discipline to hold out and ignore the FOMO so i can enjoy the thrill of driving another P that I am coveting ??   Probably not !  .... as my wife says ... " onto your next girlfriend " 

I was invited by a good friend on an AMG drive day last week. Clearly I have a bias towards Porsche but the amount of money being spent on new cars like AMG’s I find staggering, they make any Porsche seem like a relative bargain. 

Factor in the quality of the Porsche product (drive & build) with a near zero depreciation and it’s a no brainer. I’d rather spend my hard earned on a Porsche than rip it up on any other new euro in depreciation alone. 

7 hours ago, hugh said:

I was invited by a good friend on an AMG drive day last week. Clearly I have a bias towards Porsche but the amount of money being spent on new cars like AMG’s I find staggering, they make any Porsche seem like a relative bargain. 

Factor in the quality of the Porsche product (drive & build) with a near zero depreciation and it’s a no brainer. I’d rather spend my hard earned on a Porsche than rip it up on any other new euro in depreciation alone. 

But how was the drive day......?  I’m tipping lots of noise and lots of traction light flicker but not a lot of tactile driving nirvana.

I bought an Audi demo once, bad idea, never again.  Depreciated like a turbo charged rock.

2 hours ago, DJM said:

But how was the drive day......?  I’m tipping lots of noise and lots of traction light flicker but not a lot of tactile driving nirvana.

I bought an Audi demo once, bad idea, never again.  Depreciated like a turbo charged rock.

I had an ML63 that after 4 years and less than 40,000ks lost $100k in value...

2 hours ago, DJM said:

I’m tipping lots of noise and lots of traction light flicker but not a lot of tactile driving nirvana.

^^^ nailed it. I didn't have high expectations but I was still surprised at how underwhelmed I was. Nice cars, but nothing "sporty" about them though (farty noises and red stitching aside). 

12 hours ago, DJM said:

What are you doing on MY105 anyway! 

1 hour ago, JLD said:

I had an ML63 that after 4 years and less than 40,000ks lost $100k in value...

Same had a ML63 for 5 yrs but I was little luckier in the sense that I bought a demo so got massive discount at the start.  Also got it under the agility program, when the period expired I had a payout of around 80 (market value at the time was 60) or I could just hand the keys to them and walk away.  Naturally I chose the latter, and in no hurry to ever get back into a Merc.  Had 2 mercs at a pt in time, didnt really enjoy the ownership of them at all.

54 minutes ago, hugh said:

^^^ nailed it. I didn't have high expectations but I was still surprised at how underwhelmed I was. Nice cars, but nothing "sporty" about them though (farty noises and red stitching aside). 

It's quite sad to think that they're trying to sell you a 'better' car, yet you had to get in a better car to drive home

45 minutes ago, JLD said:

It's quite sad to think that they're trying to sell you a 'better' car, yet you had to get in a better car to drive home

Yeah, went to a track day last year in my 20 year old car, and all the new Bimmers etc were running out of brakes after 3 or 4 laps of Symmons Plains, yet I could just stay out circulating in basically the same times for 10 or so laps with no brake fade at all..........