Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

12 hours ago, Tips said:

How does the transfer of engineering go between states .. I wonder if this car got and M plate in Vic ?     Lotsa dosh been spent there .. come on Flat 6ers   .. I had a chat with a mate .. that V8 sounds like its got a knock .. wadda you reckon .... turn it up there must be some V8 tuned ears out there 😀.  

Must be a hoot that car .. is it good buying ? I f I recall it had the high expectations of being a 90k car at some point..   credit to the builder but shows what a conservative lot people are.. off to the new owner it goes , if its anything like my hotrod experience it will be washed through a couple of owners , gain more Porsche ownership cred and probably end up at the 100k mark next year plus a but more covid tax.

As for AC ... yes. agree needed   

49 minutes ago, symsy said:

How does the transfer of engineering go between states .. I wonder if this car got and M plate in Vic ?     Lotsa dosh been spent there .. come on Flat 6ers   .. I had a chat with a mate .. that V8 sounds like its got a knock .. wadda you reckon .... turn it up there must be some V8 tuned ears out there 😀.  

I think i would be droping the sump and  a few bearing caps before money changed hands.

8 hours ago, Fishcop said:

It reinforces my comments about AC if you're building something to really enjoy all year 'round - the cabin is super important.  I've no doubt the subject car could have it engineered in by a pro.

I agree. The same goes for sound deadening. Stripping out a car to make it a 'fun', light race car for the road, gets really old really fast. I think I added around 20kgs to my car with the 3 layer sound deadening. To some that sounds crazy but to me, adding 2% more weight to the car to make it something I don't hate driving after 5 mins, is well worth it. 

I also just spent the last week shoe horning A/C to my Alfa after I kept saying it would never fit (and I also have a Classic Retrofit set up waiting to go in the 911) ;) 

1 hour ago, MFX said:

I agree. The same goes for sound deadening. Stripping out a car to make it a 'fun', light race car for the road, gets really old really fast. 

Yep! I ripped the carpet out of mine for that 'race car' look. That didn't last long at all, as it was like having your head in the bass drum during a Metallica concert

10 hours ago, LeeM said:

Yep! I ripped the carpet out of mine for that 'race car' look. That didn't last long at all, as it was like having your head in the bass drum during a Metallica concert

I think we all 'dabbled' in that space during 'peak Gruppe' but the reality kicks in if you're driving more than 5kms to weekend Cars & Coffee :D

On 28/08/2021 at 06:00, Tips said:

Did anyone see what it ended up going for?

I definitely considered it when I was searching for my 996 a couple of years ago. But as my dad always said "Buy the car you want, or you'll always be disappointed" and 911 truly was the only one for me.

Having said that, that thing is as cool as ice. Perfect chassis/engine combo IMO. The engine does sound like is has a knock? I know early LS motors had a piston slap issue, but this isn't one of those. Compared to Porsche stuff, those engines are cheap as chips to repair/replace.

As for no carpet/no AC, I totally agree, a hotted up Torana that I daily drove for years, then stored while I moved/drove something more modern ended up just feeling like a hassle when I got back into it, the head pouring up from the trans tunnel and the loud aftermarket fuel pump was fun when I started it but had me feeling fatigued and over it when I got home from a drive. 

Which makes me worry a bit about getting into an air cooled car as I hear A/C is pointless in them anyway. But I will make a point of laying down a ton of dynamat.

35 minutes ago, Schnell said:

I definitely considered it when I was searching for my 996 a couple of years ago. But as my dad always said "Buy the car you want, or you'll always be disappointed" and 911 truly was the only one for me.

Which makes me worry a bit about getting into an air cooled car as I hear A/C is pointless in them anyway. But I will make a point of laying down a ton of dynamat.

I went with a 944 S2 last year - wonderful car, did everything right + air conditioning.  But the 911 is a 911 - nothing else is.  So I chased down the car I wanted in the 996 C4S.

My first 911 was a wonderful 911t that a previous owner had added $6k worth of modernised air conditioning to. It. Never. Worked.  The early cars were never designed for it so it really is a tricky thing to get set up right.  I pulled it out and never regretted it.  The early cars have rear quarter lights that pop out and draw ambient air through the car - so the air is at least 'fresh'.  On the really hot days you'll notice heat and may be uncomfortable, but no worse than any drivers of yesteryear... But would I go back?  Nope - not now.  If your only Porsche is an early 911, you'll miss the 996's versatility. 

1 hour ago, Schnell said:

I rode in a mates car in the US with the Classic Retrofit electric AC and it blew cold. The main issue was lack of vents and the massive greenhouse an un-tinted 911 is. The system has been improved and I will be getting creative with the vents so we will see how it performs. 

I am also keen to get the 'clear' window tint in my car that apparently cuts down a heap of the UV so we will see how much of a difference that can make. 

1 hour ago, Schnell said:

Which makes me worry a bit about getting into an air cooled car as I hear A/C is pointless in them anyway. 

Well having driven through a few summers, including that trip to Victoria in 42° heat, I can state quite categorically that it sucks! 

My only respite was a cordless site fan with a few 5.0amp batteries and a water spray bottle, as having a window down was like pointing a blow torch at my face! It wasn't fun at all, but hey, I was driving an air cooled on a road trip, so that was pretty cool...sorta 😁

Once you've experienced ownership of an air cooled, you will understand what all the fuss is about, as in my limited experience driving other later model Porsches (996/997's), they're not that different to an earlier one in architecture and the whole driving experience. Me wanting to buy a 996 was solely because I wanted the mod cons they have, which was mainly air cond and a bit more comfort, yet having driven a few of them now, I know damn well I'd regret selling my '78 backdate. I just won't be doing road trips during summer 😁

27 minutes ago, MFX said:

I am also keen to get the 'clear' window tint in my car that apparently cuts down a heap of the UV so we will see how much of a difference that can make. 

I used a clear tint in my 911. The difference is HUGE. Try winding the window down when the sun is shining through the side, and you feel the heat reduction massively. I wanted the windscreen done too, but he wouldn't do it. 

On 25/08/2021 at 17:38, rafikdous said:

This used to be my car. There is a long build thread about it here.

I sold it all done expect for the engine 3 years ago for $57k. The guy who bought it, finished it and sold it on for $82k as you see it in the pictures.

Of course values went up since then. Beautiful resto and lots of history went with it. If someone needs any info on it, let me know

Who did the paint and body? Beautiful

30 minutes ago, Turra said:

The description on the underside restoration is a deal breaker for me. Sounds like there was quite a bit of corrosion to necessitate the repairs.

2 hours ago, Turra said:

Why on earth do so many sellers nowadays have to add the whole bloody life story of Porsche? What happened in 19fkn30 means bugger all to a car built in 1988! 

I bet most don't give a shit and just want the current condition of the car and the price! 🙄

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Why on earth do so many sellers nowadays have to add the whole bloody life story of Porsche? What happened in 19fkn30 means bugger all to a car built in 1988! 

I bet most don't give a shit and just want the current condition of the car and the price! 🙄

Didn't mention Austro-Daimler in the ad ... not even a true historian!

:Chuckle2: