Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

On 08/11/2021 at 09:15, hugh said:

Money can't buy taste unfortunately, although some people try way too hard to make it so. Hopefully the car finds a home, the market for cars like this is diminishing though. 

Great sum of quality parts in this build, poor colour choice and the execution isn’t cohesive. Could have been great but a bit of a mismatch in my opinion. And the price, which has now gone up 5k.

17 minutes ago, on_booost said:

Having recently run a  car through CC - its how they operate. 

They give the Buyer and Seller a few phone calls to get the deal done......

Smart business imo. 

4 hours ago, TDW911 said:

And the price, which has now gone up 5k.

Probably noticed we're discussing it here - that always bumps the price, even when the feedback is mixed :huh:

1 hour ago, on_booost said:

Having recently run a  car through CC - its how they operate. 

They give the Buyer and Seller a few phone calls to get the deal done......

Does that mean the site might show the highest bid ($93k) but the actual sale price was less after negotiation?

5 minutes ago, twro said:

Does that mean the site might show the highest bid ($93k) but the actual sale price was less after negotiation?

I doubt it. My read is $93K would be below seller reserve and CC would need to influence seller down, buyer up or meet somewhere in the middle.

3 minutes ago, Diamond911 said:

I doubt it. My read is $93K would be below seller reserve and CC would need to influence seller down, buyer up or meet somewhere in the middle.

The site shows the sale price was at 96k however it passed in at 93. 

Who knows , as the questions section had queries about some possible dummy bidding along the way. Followed by a bidder changing their handle.........not good if your “buying the seller “

1 hour ago, Asyd said:

Who knows , as the questions section had queries about some possible dummy bidding along the way. Followed by a bidder changing their handle.........not good if your “buying the seller “

I don't see myself ever buying from one of these sites. There's a complete lack of transparency. You don't know if there is a reserve, you don't know if the reserve is met, and they all seem to end up unsold until negotiations afterwards. Not a very good buying process

I have bought and sold from trading garage and had a great experience on both ends. It was a newer car so I guess less risk re: condition.

I’d find it a bit harder to buy a classic car sight unseen, but you can always inspect them before bidding if you can be arsed. 

1 hour ago, Asyd said:

And that was odd that the seller name was bidding. 

9 minutes ago, cafe_racer said:

I have bought and sold from trading garage and had a great experience on both ends. It was a newer car so I guess less risk re: condition.

I’d find it a bit harder to buy a classic car sight unseen, but you can always inspect them before bidding if you can be arsed. 

And that was odd that the seller name was bidding. 

Wasn't the sellers name, he must have created another account and bid on it then accidently answered a potential buyers question using the other account thus was caught out then removed from the bids altogether.  I guess thats CC policing the process.  

I have sold a car on CC and have no issues, and would buy a car from their auction site.

I guess everyone's risk tolerance is different, an analogy is some wouldnt touch cryptocurrency yet others who have, some have profit handsomely. But I definitely wouldn't say it is not good buying process.  In fact, I think the opposite and I applaud them for being transparent on the final price.  At least there is a site we can go to seek historical pricing as a benchmark.  Sorry this last paragraph is responding to JLD's comment.

46 minutes ago, theplanner said:

Wasn't the sellers name, he must have created another account and bid on it then accidently answered a potential buyers question using the other account thus was caught out then removed from the bids altogether.  I guess thats CC policing the process.  

I have sold a car on CC and have no issues, and would buy a car from their auction site.

I guess everyone's risk tolerance is different, an analogy is some wouldnt touch cryptocurrency yet others who have, some have profit handsomely. But I definitely wouldn't say it is not good buying process.  In fact, I think the opposite and I applaud them for being transparent on the final price.  At least there is a site we can go to seek historical pricing as a benchmark.  Sorry this last paragraph is responding to JLD's comment.

I like to know whether my bid is a buying bid. The hidden reserve or no reserve makes it feel like a fishing expedition for the seller. Bidding doesn't go crazy? He doesn't have to sell. He can just put a ridiculous reserve and then negotiate with the highest bidder. If no sale, then no cost. So no risk for the seller. Meanwhile, the buyer could be wasting time on a car that he'll never buy... Just the way I see it.

I'd feel more comfortable buying if there was a 'Reserve not met' notification when you bid until a 'Reserve met' notification when it hits. This way you know whether you're bidding to buy. Currently the listings make no mention of a reserve

I think, but I may be wrong, when a CC car hits reserve a ‘No Reserve’ banner appears. I was keeping an eye on a recently sold aero kitted 996 tipper that only showed the ‘No Reserve’ banner when it reached 50k, it then sold for 52k.

So from my experience - this is how it worked.... and to summarise many of the above comments:

5 hours ago, sleazius said:

Smart business imo. 

Agreed.

4 hours ago, twro said:

Yes - potentially. The price could be more too.... if they were able to get the buyer up.

In my particular case - they were so far away from my reserve (ended up getting a lot more later on) i felt the bidders weren't serious.

@theplanner and @JLD - its the same process with BAT - they encourage interaction (which is a good thing i think) between the bidders and the seller - Making it easy for bidders to ask questions and in turn allowing them to "buy the seller" a little bit?

@DT is correct - it gets flagged with "Reserve Met" or "No Reserve" iirc.

Saying all of the above - it should end up a true market price - however with the segmentation going on in AU - its actually making things worse...... Prices are all over the place..... And it does depend on your appetite for risk. BTW - Seller has to pay for professional photography, so there is a cost if not serious....

3 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1976-porsche-911-carrera-manual/OAG-AD-20299108/?Cr=13

seems to be priced like its a highly original low k's example.

With those doors trims and door hardware and near 300 000 km's on the odo?  Maybe a re trimmed ex race or track car lurking under there?

4 hours ago, Schnell said:

Speaking of CC. Did anyone see this one sell?

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1987-porsche-911-carrera-3-2-targa

Seems bloody cheap for a factory RHD 3.2 G50 even if it was UK delivered. Can anyone hazard a guess why?

Probably a reflection on the desirability of the car when you need a quick sale. Just because everything with a 911 badge has gone up on paper, doesn’t mean that everything is equally desirable. Put this on carsales and wait 6 months and you get more money, but not everyone can wait or stand the hassle.

2 hours ago, sleazius said:

Probably a reflection on the desirability of the car when you need a quick sale. Just because everything with a 911 badge has gone up on paper, doesn’t mean that everything is equally desirable. Put this on carsales and wait 6 months and you get more money, but not everyone can wait or stand the hassle.

There was an extremely similar sporto on there a few weeks before and I must have brushed over this thinking it was that. Kicking myself as I would absolutely have had a bid.

but it does mean that they’re out there at a decent price still.