Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

2 hours ago, Mondo74 said:

Get onto Tuthill themselves. Sorry, but that's a lot of cash for a car that apparently has rust problems

On 25/12/2021 at 19:16, LeeM said:

Get onto Tuthill themselves. Sorry, but that's a lot of cash for a car that apparently has rust problems

Haven't seen one of these come up in manual before. What's an Aussie one worth? 

"structurally perfect" would imply no rust, wouldn't it 🤣

Very pretty LHD 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/porsche-911-1986/sse-ad-12128434/?utm_campaign=search-alert&utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=email&csn_atid=69ce4916-3669-4280-b2fa-deaf8beef514

Engine dry ice cleaned? 

Looks like it's about to drip.. at least the oil looks recently changed...

w2UxLmA.jpg

CXnV1pF.jpg

4xuWH5G.png

I'm sorry to potentially offend anyone owning one, and a nice car it might be, but $145k for a lefty '86? 😲

I don't care how correct the driving position is or its attraction to a global market with a LHD car, but in Australia they're not that attractive to 'most' buyers unless they've totally given up trying to find a comparable RHD Oz delivered car, or they're a flipper. 

How nuts is this going to get? 

Again, sorry to those who love/own them, but that's mental money in my opinion

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Mental doesn't begin to describe it.... What if it was converted? Any real difference?

Looks like a nice example (irrespective if LHD) but im with you....  

Given 2022 is going to be another year of disruption in regards to Supply Chain - and we know what that means - we may look back in a year and say it was a good deal?

3 hours ago, LeeM said:

I'm sorry to potentially offend anyone owning one, and a nice car it might be, but $145k for a lefty '86? 😲

I don't care how correct the driving position is or its attraction to a global market with a LHD car, but in Australia they're not that attractive to 'most' buyers unless they've totally given up trying to find a comparable RHD Oz delivered car, or they're a flipper. 

How nuts is this going to get? 

Until the banks say "no more money for you". If we ever see a property crash in this country again, they'll drop. I'm with you, there are good cars and less desirable cars, but everything seems to be priced pretty much the same at the moment. They're all minters.

11 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Until the banks say "no more money for you". If we ever see a property crash in this country again, they'll drop. I'm with you, there are good cars and less desirable cars, but everything seems to be priced pretty much the same at the moment. They're all minters.

Most I've heard about the property market, is that it's only going to go up, not down. When some 'experts' say a basic 1 bed unit in Sydney will be a million within coupla 3 years, you have to question how long it can be sustained when the inevitable will happen, and those people who get in debt over their heads default and go bankrupt.

@on_booost Its been covered a million times and maybe I'm biased with my dislike for the LHD experience, yet as for converted cars, I'd say they're more desirable than a lefty in a RHD country. I only spoke to a mate about this topic this morning, and his converted narrow body car is FAR more attractive than the one above for that sorta coin. 

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Most I've heard about the property market, is that it's only going to go up, not down. When some 'experts' say a basic 1 bed unit in Sydney will be a million within coupla 3 years, you have to question how long it can be sustained when the inevitable will happen, and those people who get in debt over their heads default and go bankrupt.

@on_booost Its been covered a million times and maybe I'm biased with my dislike for the LHD experience, yet as for converted cars, I'd say they're more desirable than a lefty in a RHD country. I only spoke to a mate about this topic this morning, and his converted narrow body car is FAR more attractive than the one above for that sorta coin. 

I've never found lefties any less fun than righties...but the market tells me most people feel precisely the opposite :)

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

My car is converted and I definitely prefer it that way over being an original LHD. I can see if you are more of a speculator then an unmolested LHD might appeal more, but I bought my car to drive. For me, it goes RHD>Converted>LHD. Also I would also still go for a RHD SC over a LHD 964...

Lefties unite against this outrageous slander!!

Seriously it makes such little difference to me.  My personal fleet is two lefties and two righties. But I understand if you’ve never spent much seat time in LHD how it feels a little off-centre.  It’s an acquired taste.

"Notes in the history file indicate this may have originally been a sportomatic transmission, though a clutch pedal is now present" 🤣🤣

Swear this was for sale 2 or 3 years ago, and loads looked at it but it was a shed of a car 

16 minutes ago, LeeM said:

"Notes in the history file indicate this may have originally been a sportomatic transmission, though a clutch pedal is now present" 🤣🤣

Swear this was for sale 2 or 3 years ago, and loads looked at it but it was a shed of a car 

Lee would that put you off a car?, interested in your opinion as I’m looking at a car at the moment that was a sporto and now has a 915

57 minutes ago, Yeatesy said:

Lee would that put you off a car?, interested in your opinion as I’m looking at a car at the moment that was a sporto and now has a 915

Sporto's are a very quirky thing, but they are not for everyone. I think all things being equal, you would probably still get less (or at best even money) for an original sporto compared to manual converted one. Much bigger market for manuals, but sporto is still something that most people have never experienced, and it is a lot more fun than a slush box.

2 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

Not in the slightest if the conversion was done right mate. How that is inspected with some guarantees I have no idea, yet I'd buy a left to right/sporto to manual car for sure

1 hour ago, MFX said:

Sporto's are a very quirky thing, but they are not for everyone. 

Quirky is an understatement 😄 

Only driven one for a few kms and wasn't a fan

If i was in the market for a manual coupe 1998 onwards this would be at the very top of my list. 40th Jahare with powerkit, very nice even with moderately high kms. Ihttps://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2004-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual-my04/SSE-AD-12142506

9 hours ago, LeeM said:

Not in the slightest if the conversion was done right mate. How that is inspected with some guarantees I have no idea, yet I'd buy a left to right/sporto to manual car for sure

Quirky is an understatement 😄 

Only driven one for a few kms and wasn't a fan

🙏 Lee & Jeff. I’d never buy a sporto and wasn’t concerned about the transmission swap but figured it may impact the cars value.

1 hour ago, Yeatesy said:

🙏 Lee & Jeff. I’d never buy a sporto and wasn’t concerned about the transmission swap but figured it may impact the cars value.

In the past it probably would impact values mate, yet in this market with demand v supply, any air cooled car is probably an attractive proposition for a buyer.

Most want matching numbers and originality etc etc, yet beggars can't be choosers as the old saying goes. Dare I say a left to right/sporto to manual car would probably be worth the same as my factory rhd/matching numbers Hong Kong import? So what's the value to someone who is desperate and cashed up ready to buy?  Just look at some of these UK cars that have sold for $120-150k, yet they were the Porsche leper only a year ago, and not worth much compared to Oz delivered.

I can telya now, that in the past 2 to 3 weeks since posting up a satirical comment about selling mine, I've had numerous PM's here and text messages from people very willing to buy sight unseen and no ppi for well over $100k, so people are willing to take a chance and just buy whatever they can. (And no mine is not for sale 😁)

Strange times, yet if you wanna play, you gotta pay unfortunately, so if you have a lead on a sporto to manual converted car within your budget, I wouldn't be putting it off too long

2 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

Two identical cars - the first a factory manual the second a sporto - manual swap. The first will be worth a bit more just on originality alone, but nothing too dramatic.