Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

5 minutes ago, edgy said:

Except your insurer will ask for that transfer receipt should the unthinkable happen, especially in short succession of establishing a policy. 

I don’t mess about, pay the full freight and sleep well at night for me… having said that, last purchase put me off any high dollar stuff younger than 30 years for a long time. 

Haven’t had any problems to date fyi. That said only recently made my first claim in 26 years. YMMV.

15 hours ago, on_booost said:

And since we are discussing it - LCT as well!!!!

Lol - Bitter much? I for one am happy that pricing is up. As it should be..... bought a house in Sydney lately ? Or seen the prices? Bet your ok with your house going up????

When a USED Dual Cab ute made in Thailand - that isn't top spec is $80K plus - do you think a SC should still be $65K?

Its 2022 not 2002 - a new 911 Turbo is now $500K plus.......

Pricing going up ruins the Porsche world. Prices up = less ks on cars as it becomes too expensive to drive. You then get investors as the only buyers who try to push prices up. So then the people who actually want to buy to drive are priced out. And the value proposition for a Porsche suddenly disappears, so Porsche start producing more ‘limited editions’ like the dodgy 70th anniversary Australian edition.

Depreciation gives those that normally can’t a chance to be able to, and more old Porsches on the roads is better for everyone 

8 minutes ago, JLD said:

Pricing going up ruins the Porsche world. Prices up = less ks on cars as it becomes too expensive to drive. You then get investors as the only buyers who try to push prices up. So then the people who actually want to buy to drive are priced out. And the value proposition for a Porsche suddenly disappears, so Porsche start producing more ‘limited editions’ like the dodgy 70th anniversary Australian edition.

Depreciation gives those that normally can’t a chance to be able to, and more old Porsches on the roads is better for everyone 

Yep agree totally .. we need more driving 

1 hour ago, symsy said:

Yep agree totally .. we need more driving 

Agree- with the prices on second hand market, makes buying new an attractive proposition in some cases and better value prop.  

Everyone's different, I think some buy and enjoy the cars but don't drive them as much for a variety of reasons.  I.e. only like using them on weekends, C&C, or when weather is good etc.  Others buy and drive more regularly, or just aren't as fussed on total km put on it.  

Prices go up, or go down.  Only matters if you're buying or selling.   Strokes for folks. 

Just need to do more driving, no point saving them for the next person. 

2 hours ago, JLD said:

Ruins the Porsche world? Wow - Now that is a BOLD statement - I think W 's (thanks @LeeM for that appropriate emoji) ruin the "Porsche" world - or any other actually, but thats just me, I guess.

Becoming more expensive to drive is also a statement that is a stretch? I know of ppl that drive their 356 to get coffee down the road and some that "pop over" in a GT2RS to catch up - its all relative. Thats a pretty general statement and pretty untrue at that.

If you are a flipper and looking to maximise your profits - then sure be scared of the klms - but if you OWN rather than speculate - you drive it as much or as little as it suits yourself, and your time / lifestyle allows.

So we are now justifying  a Porsche as an Investment? As an outlier - yes there are speculators/investors. We all have a story or 2 about a car we shouldnt have sold - because they are now worth $X million or $Y million - shit - I could name about 10 - easily - just from Porsches alone....

Yes PCA can make some dodgy Limited runs - but its easy - don't buy em?

When a new Turbo is $550K - What is an acceptable price for a 991 - 997.2 - 997 - 996 turbo? $100K less? each time? New Cars depreciate. I'll admit we are at a confusing juncture right now.... and i doubt it can last. Prob wrong tho - i usually am.😱

Until about 15 years ago - AU was such a small market - our pricing was out of whack with the rest of the world, and older cars depreciated more. As the Porsche "World" (sorry ... had to 😂) has grown to include BMW style owners and non enthusiasts (in a successful attempt to survive) more people have become exposed to the brand and more cars have sold. 

2 things - its supply and demand and its now 2022 - the world is a much bigger place. Things cost more. Everyone has access to everything. Arbitrage is almost non-existent and the world continues to gather (and spend) more wealth!

The ONLY reason a 3.6 964 Turbo is worth so much is because there were EFFFF all built. Ever driven one? A 993 is soooo much nicer. Doesn't change the COST of the 964 ( see what i did there cost - not VALUE) Porsche almost collapsed in 1991.

Same goes for say a '69 911 S - how many were sold? Exactly 7.  Hence there desirability and cost of a "reasonable" replica......

1 hour ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

Prices go up, or go down.  Only matters if you're buying or selling.   Strokes for folks. 

Just need to do more driving, no point saving them for the next person. 

100 % Everyone is so obsessed with how much / how few Klms etc etc - just drive em - or don't. Life is too short

/rant over.

1 hour ago, on_booost said:

/rant over.

So glad you didnt start say that other P swear words like Polish or Profit!  As I have all always said many a time on forums , my hobbies burn petrol and money.. the one to be very wary of are EX wives. they inflate the price of your car , make you buy half of it back and you end up at the same net result of ownership.  Classic cars. Sports cars and sometimes boats and Polo Ponies.. we forget they are egotistical expression, penis extension or simply our masculine conquest trophies exchanged fo our toil..  They deserve to be used.

Hell. I think I'm in strife here.

• I own a BMW (does that make me "BMW-like"?)
  • I don't track my GT3. 
  • I have a busy work and family life, and am lucky enough to have a couple of 'Sunday cars' to choose from, so I don't get to drive it that much, but when I do get to go for a spirited drive through the Adelaide hills and surrounds,  i cherish every second of it.
  • As a result, the kms traveled showing on my odometer are not rising as fast as apparently they should be.
  • I like cleaning and polishing my GT3, staring at it's beautiful lines and stance in the garage, and always look back at it lovingly when I park it somewhere.
  • I'm a repeat offender - in an earlier life, I treated my 3.2 Carrera the same.
  • I bought a GT car in the hope that I could drive an amazing (boy-hood dream) car, in the knowledge that it would perhaps appreciate instead of depreciate during my period of ownership.
  • I would love to leave this car to my son one day.

I guess I'm part of the problem..... 

39 minutes ago, cafe_racer said:

ouch!

Don't worry  - I used to own an e30 - I fit that mould too!!

@Rick V

Not at all mate - I fit many (see above - actually a lot) of these categories as well - we might be mates in real life!! 

1. I had an e30, What. A. Car.
  2. I don't track My 997.
  3. I too am busy with life and am fortunate enough to have too (!) many cars and bikes to choose from to drive - ergo the klms do not seem to be going up.
  4. I too like a nice clean car and garage. Its therapeutic for me.
  5. I still even treat my daily drive as a "nice" car. Always have. Always will.
  6. I bought my 997 because i loved it. Simple. The fact that its gone up means squat to me - I aint selling.

I actually don't believe there is "problem" per se - Its the reality of todays market - which can go up or dow.

Life is too short....

The reason my km aren’t rising is I’m just coming out of the time sink that is having 4 young kids. Once upon a time I use to daily my 997, that all changed when I hit 3 kids. KM have stalled at 40k, buying more weekend cars has only made the ‘problem’ worse.

2 hours ago, Rick V said:

Hell. I think I'm in strife here.

• I own a BMW (does that make me "BMW-like"?)
  • I don't track my GT3. 
  • I have a busy work and family life, and am lucky enough to have a couple of 'Sunday cars' to choose from, so I don't get to drive it that much, but when I do get to go for a spirited drive through the Adelaide hills and surrounds,  i cherish every second of it.
  • As a result, the kms traveled showing on my odometer are not rising as fast as apparently they should be.
  • I like cleaning and polishing my GT3, staring at it's beautiful lines and stance in the garage, and always look back at it lovingly when I park it somewhere.
  • I'm a repeat offender - in an earlier life, I treated my 3.2 Carrera the same.
  • I bought a GT car in the hope that I could drive an amazing (boy-hood dream) car, in the knowledge that it would perhaps appreciate instead of depreciate during my period of ownership.
  • I would love to leave this car to my son one day.

I guess I'm part of the problem..... 

You need to sell me your GT3 (cheap)

I can treat it like they want.😁

4 hours ago, on_booost said:

The ONLY reason a 3.6 964 Turbo is worth so much is because there were EFFFF all built. Ever driven one? A 993 is soooo much nicer. Doesn't change the COST of the 964 ( see what i did there cost - not VALUE) Porsche almost collapsed in 1991.

"Ever driven one?" Ever owned both? I do. On most days I prefer my 964T 3.6 over my 993TT. The preference often changes but usually goes 964T > 964C2 > 993RS > 993TT. And my 993tt is an absolute mint example. I think it's just personal preference, and also a lot of it is up to picking the 'right car, for the right day, and the right mood'.

What does annoy me though is your BMW statement, I love Porsches but the N/A M cars are absolutely awesome to drive - I have a few M3s across the generations and quite often prefer them for their fun tail-happy nature, especially my little E36. Having significantly less tyre drone/noise is also a welcome plus when you live in the country.

But back on topic, I find the increasing values a disappointing aspect of the hobby, definitely not a plus, as it seems to be encouraging people to hoard and treat these cars as investments. This just shuts out other people from buying, consuming, enjoying, driving the hell out of them. I enquired recently on a manual Ferrari but killed it when I realised the seller was a company that promotes and operates in holding enthusiast cars as an alternative equity investment fund.

IMG_3805.JPG

47 minutes ago, njb said:

"Ever driven one?" Ever owned both? I do. On most days I prefer my 964T 3.6 over my 993TT. The preference often changes but usually goes 964T > 964C2 > 993RS > 993TT. And my 993tt is an absolute mint example. I think it's just personal preference, and also a lot of it is up to picking the 'right car, for the right day, and the right mood'.

What does annoy me though is your BMW statement, I love Porsches but the N/A M cars are absolutely awesome to drive - I have a few M3s across the generations and quite often prefer them for their fun tail-happy nature, especially my little E36. Having significantly less tyre drone/noise is also a welcome plus when you live in the country.

But back on topic, I find the increasing values a disappointing aspect of the hobby, definitely not a plus, as it seems to be encouraging people to hoard and treat these cars as investments. This just shuts out other people from buying, consuming, enjoying, driving the hell out of them. I enquired recently on a manual Ferrari but killed it when I realised the seller was a company that promotes and operates in holding enthusiast cars as an alternative equity investment fund.

IMG_3805.JPG

Sounds like you have an amazing collection