Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Thanks for the insight T!

Would you think that a UK Delivered car would be in higher demand/more premium required as opposed to an AUS Delivered car in the UK? It seems logical to think that no? If yes, that would mean UK imported cars would be still quite valuable!

If it is well looked after It shouldn't matter as both Aussi and UK are original RHD markets so won't have need chopped up (I still haven't got the exact number but probably only about 2000 original RHD 930's made). However the climate in OZ and the lack of salt on roads generally has lead to the perception that an Aussi car will be in better condition so In Australia they command a premium. In the UK? Hard to say. Unless they are specifically marketed this way (and a few are) then I am sure they are just seen as imports and get less money. 

I find it odd that modifying 930's now is so poorly regarded but mods on Carreras, SC's etc like SSI's, suspension, shifters etc can command high prices. Look at a few recent sales of modded cars.

I'm toying with going headers and k27 and bigger IC on my 930 just because they're such good bang for buck. It's great stock but would be awesome with a few tried and tested mods.

It's a keeper, so I guess it shouldn't matter...but it makes me think twice.

The thing with any older performance car is that times have moved on and newer cars are just faster.  So when the question of modifying comes up in the buyers mind they are wondering if mods have been done well.  With Turbo cars (of any type) everyone knows you can wind up the boost and make more power but some do it without the other upgrades needed for that power, to the detriment of engine longevity.  This was particularly prevalent with WRXs back in the day - people winding up the boost but destroying engines and gearboxes.

That said, if you had a Ruf 5 speed and intercooler in your 930 that would be an 'acceptable' mod.

If it is well looked after It shouldn't matter as both Aussi and UK are original RHD markets so won't have need chopped up (I still haven't got the exact number but probably only about 2000 original RHD 930's made). However the climate in OZ and the lack of salt on roads generally has lead to the perception that an Aussi car will be in better condition so In Australia they command a premium. In the UK? Hard to say. Unless they are specifically marketed this way (and a few are) then I am sure they are just seen as imports and get less money. 

I think an Australian car and UK car would fetch equal money in the UK.   I found an ad recently where they were advertising 'Australian car' as a virtue.  The UK isn't as fussy about 'UK Delivered' in my opinion.  They all know about rotten cars from rotten climate.

I find it odd that modifying 930's now is so poorly regarded but mods on Carreras, SC's etc like SSI's, suspension, shifters etc can command high prices. Look at a few recent sales of modded cars.

I'm toying with going headers and k27 and bigger IC on my 930 just because they're such good bang for buck. It's great stock but would be awesome with a few tried and tested mods.

It's a keeper, so I guess it shouldn't matter...but it makes me think twice.

The mods you are proposing are all bolt on reversible items. Do it, just keep the originals and put them back on if you ever come to sell it. You would then also

be able to sell the aftermarket parts separately so it would be a win win. 

Cars which have spent a lot of their life (ticking the rust free myth box) here in Oz  and yet were originally UK delivered  can be brought back with VAT already paid, a big advantage and why prices have climbed sharply as AU$ has plunged.

How fast do you want to go? A 930 is no slouch on the road. On the track , well that's completely different and how many original 930s have you seen being properly punted lately? But for the road , I can't see the point , it's an old car.

I guess I don't really want to go that fast. I have a RUF R4 muffler and an Andial intercooler sitting waiting to be bolted on. Both acceptable IMO. Headers would be nice though. If anyone has or knows of a RUF intercooler that might be for sale, let me know. That would be on theme.

Edited by GUT

Cars which have spent a lot of their life (ticking the rust free myth box) here in Oz  and yet were originally UK delivered  can be brought back with VAT already paid, a big advantage and why prices have climbed sharply as AU$ has plunged.

Nice - so if I ever sell my UK delivered but Australian kept SC (from the early 80's), I should just put it straight on a UK Website, not bother with Carsales!?

Is this in all instances or only when it is the original exporter who is re-importing it back to the UK?

How fast do you want to go? A 930 is no slouch on the road. On the track , well that's completely different and how many original 930s have you seen being properly punted lately? But for the road , I can't see the point , it's an old car.

Yes the new cars are much quicker in all regards. But a  couple of years ago I sat watching a mixed car day at phillip island. There were some quick cars there and I was looking onto the approach to turn 12. Those who have driven it will know that its a high commitment corner where you grit your teeth and try to maximize your speed as you come onto the main strait. Some dude was driving the new Nissan GTR and on the pace of other cars around him. He was doing the approach with his right elbow resting out the window like a Sunday drive and was still keeping up with everyone. Not sure he was getting the Adrenalin rush everyone else was. And if he wanted to get it, he would probably have to go Warp speed given how well those cars are engineered.

Old looks and new performance is a sweet place to be. 

Nice - so if I ever sell my UK delivered but Australian kept SC (from the early 80's), I should just put it straight on a UK Website, not bother with Carsales!?

UK buyers are watching Carsales for these type of cars - go carsales and you get both markets in 1.

it seems not all re exports are equal. some shops sellin to the intl market e.g. autohaus or CTS have reported VAT is applicable on orig UK delivered cars

Wow.

I spoke to a guy not 1/2hr ago who just bought a black 67 out of Melbourne. 

matt reads 912... damn NOICE...bargain for longhood buying. gents you want longhood, get rid of your small man hangups :)

totally agree tassie. I have thoroughly enjoyed going slower since going air cooled. There comes a point fast becomes too fast and loud becomes too loud. 

totally agree tassie. I have thoroughly enjoyed going slower since going air cooled. There comes a point fast becomes too fast and loud becomes too loud. 

..must resist...lamp post jokes...

I do wish we had some autobahn though.  Just a nice stretch where you can sustain some high speeds for a bit.   The NT is a bit far to go.

VAT is applicable for most circumstances for non-classic cars unless you are the original owner. 

Pay VAT and duty through customs

You must pay VAT and duty through customs when you import a vehicle, unless you’re:

• moving to the UK
  • importing a previously exported vehicle
  • importing a vehicle registered to a non-EU resident

Sorry, that makes it look like I'm shouting.

It was just a cut and paste from the UK Government website.

However, reading a bit further things get a bit more complex.

what do you suggest should be the next pick up?  What's the next wave to ride. So many good options. 

BMW M3?

Edited by 9er

Pay VAT and duty through customs

You must pay VAT and duty through customs when you import a vehicle, unless you’re:

• moving to the UK
  • importing a vehicle registered to a non-EU resident

Sorry, that makes it look like I'm shouting.

It was just a cut and paste from the UK Government website.

However, reading a bit further things get a bit more complex.

BMW M3?

I'm sure any decent freight forwarder worth their salt would know how to word the import papers to avoid or minimise VAT.

As for the M3 - sure, but which model?

Importing previously exported vehicles

You don’t pay VAT or duty on a vehicle imported from outside the EU if it was previously exported out of the EU. This is known as ‘returned goods relief’. To qualify you must meet all of these conditions:

• you exported the vehicle outside the EU within the last 3 years
  • the taxes were paid on the vehicle in the EU and not refunded when it was exported
  • the vehicle hasn’t been altered outside the EU, other than necessary running repairs

To get the tax relief, drive your vehicle through the ‘green channel’. You must have proof that:

• the vehicle was exported
  • you were the person who exported it

I think a lot of those rules are for people who drive across to Europe and buy a car in Belgium and that sort of thing.  I wouldn't be surprised if there was a completely different set of rules for older cars or cars imported unregistered.  

I think a lot of those rules are for people who drive across to Europe and buy a car in Belgium and that sort of thing.  I wouldn't be surprised if there was a completely different set of rules for older cars or cars imported unregistered.  

Older cars get a reduction of VAT to 5% and zero duty.