Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

The 968 was nowhere near as nice as the pics indicated - non matching engine was the least of its issues (much to the seller's surprise, feigned or otherwise!).  The car had been through a laundry list of owners, had some curious deferred maintenance, front end paint was completely different shade from the remainder of the car.  At first blush it looked straight and original, but it was one of those cars that, the more one dug, the more one found not to like, or at least to query.

It drove OK and I suspect the most recent owner has tried to do the right thing maintenance-wise, but it seemed to have had a fairly tough life before that - who knows what the mileage is on the engine but the top end seemed to have little wear from what we could see. 

Good luck to the new owner - at the right price, it would be an OK driver and the interior was pretty nice (with the exception of the broken under-dash bits where it seemed to have suffered a theft incident). 

Unfortunately, a wasted PPI...

i wonder what it went for given it's issues?

If you're referring to my post, I've only seen it around for about a week or two, after I joined PFA. Mentioned it in here as it got a 2 grand price drop today. 

You are correct. Not the car I was thinking of. That one was in WA I think

Not a bad starting point....interior could do with a going over....http://tinyurl.com/gmlk5nw

996 / Mk1 / X51 / Clutch & IMS Done / 030 suspension / 18's / Carbon, Aluminium + Leather bits.....

I would agree if it has been very well maintained and no damage.

i happen to know what the last 996.1 X51 went for.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-912-1967/SSE-AD-4280897

seems high for a non matching numbers LHD needing restoration...

A bit baffling as to why you would choose not to register it especially as you are trying to sell it (more so as it is an import that has been here for some time and has never been registered....)?

Edited by ANF

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-912-1967/SSE-AD-4280897

seems high for a non matching numbers LHD needing restoration...

Why would you buy that when you could buy this

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/porsche/912/1871927.html

Sure, it's still in the USA, but it is the same colour, is in mint condition, matching numbers and just had an engine rebuild. Without wishing to start another argument, you could get this car into Oz for far less than it would cost to buy and sort out the other car.

Or if you really want to do a reno, how about this one, which seems equal or better than the Oz car

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/porsche/912/1784110.html

That will cost you AU$46,000, plus getting it here.

Edited by SimonN

A bit baffling as to why you would choose not to register it especially as you are trying to sell it (more so as it is an import that has been here for some time and has never been registered....)?

Mmm, yes and no bud

I was selling my 912 unregistered and had loads of interest (usually lowballers), as if a buyer was interstate, there's no point me registering it in my state.  Luckily the new owner was here in SA, and he asked me to register it for him, and would pay whatever costs I incurred

As for the Targa mentioned here. They're a reasonably rare car in the US, and I can't say I know of any soft window 912's in Oz. Mr 912 (Roni) may know of one, so that adds to its rareity, even with a non matching engine. As for the price. Well we all know in Porsche land you can nearly name your price and see how ya go, and as usual, its worth what someone is prepared to pay

Page 800 and we are talking 912's. That's progress for you.

on the subject look what I have just seen at AH. The infamous Paddington rust bucket.

"just sold to a young guy who brought it in because it isn't working right " says Grant

explained that the car does have some history, not least the hole in the engine block...

6B3EA89E-4470-4ED4-BAED-AD68D8C0CBCD_zps

You left a few 0000's off ? 

Mmm, yes and no bud

I was selling my 912 unregistered and had loads of interest (usually lowballers), as if a buyer was interstate, there's no point me registering it in my state.  Luckily the new owner was here in SA, and he asked me to register it for him, and would pay whatever costs I incurred

As for the Targa mentioned here. They're a reasonably rare car in the US, and I can't say I know of any soft window 912's in Oz. Mr 912 (Roni) may know of one, so that adds to its rareity, even with a non matching engine. As for the price. Well we all know in Porsche land you can nearly name your price and see how ya go, and as usual, its worth what someone is prepared to pay

SWT ????

Guys, the person who bought it is a PFA member so be considerate and no need to throw stones about a car most have never seen. I know more about this car than anyone else. And the new owner is a genuine bloke who will do it justice. All cars have history after decades of usage. But most are not known. Doesn't make them better cars than one that you know what history the car went through

I'm hoping its the guy I'm thinking of. Congrats if it is

I wasn't being derogatory with my comment above, and with due respect to you and the new owner,  I was stating that it has the potential for a $10k engine rebuild. I should have clarified that.

As yourself and others have mentioned in the past, the engine 'hole' or whatever it is, has the potential to be a rather large problem. Maybe, maybe not, yet it does have to be considered. I'm sure Autohaus Hamilton will see it and mention it to the new owner, yet I've seen some dodgy repairs on all types of engines that never cause a problem again. There is also rust issues, yet the new buyer would have been aware of them, and will deal with them in due course.....as most old Porsche owners do/will

The MAIN thing here is that the new owner is happy, no matter what we think or say, as thats what it's all about. Being happy to own a Porsche

Best of luck to the owner, and we all hope you have a great time with your new car

Hey Lee, the engine hole is no issue. It was next to the dizzy (ie on top) so doesn't create a potential leak issue. I tapped it and put a bolt to plug it. A threaded hole in the block is no different from what the factory did with their oil filter

Edited by rafikdous

Guys, the person who bought it is a PFA member so be considerate and no need to throw stones about a car most have never seen. I know more about this car than anyone else. And the new owner is a genuine bloke who will do it justice. All cars have history after decades of usage. But most are not known. Doesn't make them better cars than one that you know what history the car went through

I'm jealous! It's better than the Porsche I own :unsure:

I considered buying it, but decided it was a little expensive for me considering the work needed

Hey Lee, the engine hole is no issue. It was next to the dizzy (ie on top) so doesn't create a potential leak issue. I tapped it and put a bolt to plug it. A thread hole in the block is no different from what the factory did with their oil filter

Thanks for the clarification Raf.