My 964 "RS"

DJM

Too funny.  i thought i'd be the black sheep of the Porsche community but just goes to show they come from all walks of life! 

I wonder what we share in our psyche that makes us build rotary powered Dattos and then move onto Porsches.  I'm sure a Psychologist somewhere could write a thesis on us!

For me it was all about maths. For me 510 should be big revving N/A car. Spend 11ty billion on a L20b and you net ok power. I was offered a big dollar high end P.P for a reasonable amount of money that made a lot more power.. It's a small motor that I can lift up on to a bench with just my arms and no crane. With a little "massage" of the fire wall for the clutch fork I had the front of the engine almost inline with the strut tower and well below it. It just make sense!

End Hijack/

From the vid's I saw of your old 510 on the track you know who to steer quite well so I'm sure you are going to love the 964!

By the way, agonised about personalised plates yes or no. Ended up ordering euro plates white on black V RS 469. I wondered about rs plates on a partial replica but what the hell, most people will assume its my initials, only those in the know will make the link to rs964. Happy with the subtle approach.

In hindsight,, I wished I hadn't fitted VTEC7 to my clubman, every supercharged maloo or clubsport moron wanted to line me up! It was fun to leave them for dead out of roundabouts though!

Hi,

This is my first day on the forum and this is my first post!

Thats an amazing coincidence as I was actually looking at the same red 964 'RS' and when I called the South African owner he said that car was being picked up 'in a couple of days' - as painful as it is to say it - well done! Its a great looking car and from talking to the previous owner he really looked after it like it was his only joy..

But thats left me with a problem - where to buy a good 964 C2?  I think I'll start my own thread and see what comes up in the coming months. I'm now in a position where I can finally venture into buying a P and also think the 964 is the perfect starting point. The problem is that over the last two months I've only seen one good one and that's been snapped up!

Would be grateful for advice, car spotting or introductions to a 964 owner.

Cheers

Hi,

Thats an amazing coincidence as I was actually looking at the same red 964 'RS' and when I called the South African owner he said that car was being picked up 'in a couple of days' - as painful as it is to say it - well done! Its a great looking car and from talking to the previous owner he really looked after it like it was his only joy..

But thats left me with a problem - where to buy a good 964 C2?  I think I'll start my own thread and see what comes up in the coming months. I'm now in a position where I can finally venture into buying a P and also think the 964 is the perfect starting point. The problem is that over the last two months I've only seen one good one and that's been snapped up!

Cheers

Hi Al,

Welcome! This maybe worth a look; http://www.pcv.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_victoria/pc_main.nsf/web/B88867B527091D58C1257B5600312F57#pagetop

Hi,

Cheers

Hi Al,

Welcome to the forum and all the discussions around Pcars that you could desire!

Nice looking car above... enjoy the hunt!

Kerry

IT HAS ARRIVED! Drove to work and back and took a few staff members on laps of the block - all were amazed at how tight, quick and great sounding it is for an "old" car. Haven't stopped grinning since it arrived.

My timing is ordinary, missed GOR SMT last weekend and will be away for PCV day at sandown next weekend.

Oh well, at least theres an upside.....im heading to Germany for 2 weeks and have managed to work into the itinerary a Porsche Museum visit and 6 laps of Nurburgring in a rented Stage 2 BMW 125i. Contemplated a cayman S or GT3 but all the warnings put the fear of god into me - oh and the fact it was 1500 euro for 4 laps with 50,000 - 70,000 euro excess and the fact it's likely to be wet......! The Beemer will be fast enough to be fun with lower risk - once in a lifetime opportunity, can't wait.

Much like driving a 911 for the first time Nurburgring will be a sensory overload. You do not need a Cayman or GT3. I've done it in an underpowered VW Polo with a 4 pot 1.3 engine and still managed to have few close calls on the handful of laps I completed. As I am sure you will be warned cost of getting it wrong can be quite high and fatalities on Nurburgring are a regular occurrence. 
That said you will have a ball.

I sampled the ring in a 4 pot Beemer rent a racer. Great handling car and not real powerful. I was able to enjoy the drive and explore the limits of the car at the same time. I think I would have binned a 911. It started snowing on lap 2 :o

I want to go back!

• 1 month later...

New caps and rotors solved my intermittent coughing and stalling. Wow, what a difference, revs much more smoothly and cleanly with more linear power delivery.

Needs a new a/c accumulator which I've been told is a $450 part but 9 hours labour to get to it (beneath the fuel tank/scuttle area) - anyone got experience of this? Keen to get he a/c working after driving it in 40 degrees today.

Post service oil leak now fixed - dodgy sump plug washer replaced.

All in all Cairns Classic have been great to deal with and car is running sweet, ready for SMT 29th

Needs a new a/c accumulator which I've been told is a $450 part but 9 hours labour to get to it (beneath the fuel tank/scuttle area) - anyone got experience of this? Keen to get he a/c working after driving it in 40 degrees today.

DJM,

Might be worth a bit more investigation: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/SubCat/911L-Ventilation-A-C.htm

(Have you downloaded the parts catalogue from the Porsche Australia website? I find it really handy to find where things are mounted, what the part revisions are, part numbers so its easy to order over the phone or at Pelican and they also have the option codes too.)

Archived