PORSCHE 2.7 RS AND THE PURSUIT OF PURITY

if you're prepared to spend money on a 2.7 you can turn it into a good engine - 7R 2.7 case is the best with the most strengthening and is what most people use for a race car due to the light weight

I think case movement is the big issue with high HP 2.7s, so they pin the case halves so they don't move (I forget what this is called)

the problem is at the end of the day it's a magnesium case and the aluminium case of a 3.0 is a much better starting point

[quote name="Russ"

I think case movement is the big issue with high HP 2.7s, so they pin the case halves so they don't move (I forget what this is called)

Shuffle pinning is it's name.

They drill a shallow hole in both halves, insert a blunt little bullet in one side using a thread or a helicoil, and when you whack two together again, nothing can move (or shuffle). It's effective, expensive, and it's worth doing if you're chasing the big horsepower.

Zags did my Mexico Blue. Yes, not cheap.

Zag's just did paint for me, but here's some quotes from them in early 2011. First to go ST with bare metal respray, second just wide body turbo look without respray:

ST

To convert to ST with all parts steel flares $ 36,500.00

That’s for a full strip down and new seals new lenses new custom made wheels with tyres

supply & weld steel front & rear flares   $ 10500.00

bare metal & paint $ 15000.00

supply all parts incl front locking panel front hood duck tail front & rear bars made to suit ST front bliner units horn grills with chrome surround lenses  $ 4500.00 polish all aloy parts $ 1350.00 custom made wheels with new tires $  5500.00 .

Widebody turbo look

to do a wide body using steel guard extensions with sill panels & rear bar extensions all in steel with a turbo front spoiler , 10 & 8 x 17 fusch replica with new tyres . 15,500.00 .

Archived