Porsche Macan, any interest here?

edgy

Does anyone here have interest in Macan? It is being released next month. 

Porsche-Macan-Illustration-729x486-f3074

I've been keeping an eye on the development of this one and I believe it may fit the bill for us.....

Lots of debate about what the rear end styling may end up like, I don't mind this rendering

Porsche-Macan-Illustration-729x486-a62d4

I'm very keen to know the engine options, if there is a Turbo S variant that would be awesome but practical options are probably Diesel or I may even consider Hybrid S if they do a plug in hybrid.... has anyone done a costing exercise on porsche plug in hybrid ownership? 

Towing capacity is another, although I shouldn't even be going there right now...  :lol:

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I love Porsche I can't ever see myself buying the Macan or the Cayenne, or any other of this type of vehicle. I have an issue with the growing number of enormous vehicles on our roads for no purpose that I can tell than to simply be the biggest vehicle on the road. They are bastards to see around/over/through when you're in a normal car, let alone our bums-on-the-ground cars, or a bike. They evidently can't be parked easily (judging by the number I see in parking lots taking up 2 spots). Also people have been towing boats etc for far longer than the current fashion for these 4x4 soft-roader vehicles - I bought a Commodore Sportwagon for it's room and towing capability - so the "I have a boat" argument holds no water.

So to answer the original question: NO.

(don't get me wrong, if you live on a farm or are a serious off-roader enthusiast then I can see a place for them - just not on our roads)

This one looks rather Evoque-esque I think.  It's a nice looking car but it doesn't scream 'Porsche' to me like say the Panamera does when talking more than 2 doors!.

If I was in the market for one of these types of vehicle, I'd choose something cheaper!

OT I know but I think it's a fun commercial

Its a bit "posh" Audi isn't it?..... Which of course is "posh" VW.

No doubt will be a good car, but the influence of VAG in the lower market segments is very logical for the brand.

I really do hope this does not signal a future for the Porsche brand pushing into segments that M-B have gone (eg A45 AMG)

As much as I love Porsche I can't ever see myself buying the Macan or the Cayenne, or any other of this type of vehicle. I have an issue with the growing number of enormous vehicles on our roads for no purpose that I can tell than to simply be the biggest vehicle on the road. They are bastards to see around/over/through when you're in a normal car, let alone our bums-on-the-ground cars, or a bike. They evidently can't be parked easily (judging by the number I see in parking lots taking up 2 spots). Also people have been towing boats etc for far longer than the current fashion for these 4x4 soft-roader vehicles - I bought a Commodore Sportwagon for it's room and towing capability - so the "I have a boat" argument holds no water.

(don't get me wrong, if you live on a farm or are a serious off-roader enthusiast then I can see a place for them - just not on our roads)

I'm not opposed to station wagon's, I like the A4 avant's, but they don't have towing capacity, I had an X5 and it was a great car! it used to pull loaded car trailers like a freight train, I am kind of pissed I sold it to be honest and it was a lot easier to park than my A1  :rolleyes:....  I don't have a boat to tow.. my pockets are not that deep! Pus, the best boat is someone else's... lol 

This one looks rather Evoque-esque I think.  It's a nice looking car but it doesn't scream 'Porsche' to me like say the Panamera does when talking more than 2 doors!.

If I was in the market for one of these types of vehicle, I'd choose something cheaper!

OT I know but I think it's a fun commercial

I am unsure of pricing to be honest,

i'd personally get the same practicality out of a golf gti or similar hatcback by the look of it?

You'd be surprised how much I've squeezed into the A1.. I got to post that pic of us at ikea with it full to the brim!  :blink:

But there is lots of occasions I miss having an SUV and we've decided we want another (we had the X5 when we got the A1)... not bound to a Porsche either, just like the sounds of what is going to be on offer! Actually in my mind the BMW is the best SUV. 

yeah the dimensions of the macan look identical to a hot hatch, just raised a bit. golfs are huge these days!

i'll always have the rodeo or some other $20 vehicle for the rest of those jobs haha.

Macan is basically a Q5 really... so, that is about right (and some)

And you know we have our $20 vehicle Sam...  I love that Starlet! Its the best car I own  :D

+1 on a Subaru Liberty. I've got one and that does everything and more than I'll ever need.

Macan Pricing will start at around 60k and go north from there.

Just another small SUV for people to Ponce about in.

There's only 3 SUV's I'd have:

1)  Mercedes Geolandewagen. Proper 4WD. 

2) Toyota Landcruiser 70 Series Wagon.

3) L322 Range Rover with the BMW 3.0L Turbo Diesel straight six.

These small SUV's have killed the proper old school station Wagons/Estates.

rant>over.

I have an x5 diesel which is brilliant for towing 2.4t caravan and previously towing race car/trailer. My wife drives it around town for the 360 days a year that its not towing. its not about poncing about - its spacious, economical, comfortable, looks good and brilliantly fulfils towing duty when needed. Even if I didn't tow, I'd still keep it, i get sick of people whinging about suvs - noone complains about those horrid people mover things which are just as big (bigger than a macan/q5)

And if we all bought cars solely based on need, we'd all have liberties and none of us would have a porsche to "ponce" about in. We all buy with emotion/aspiration in the mix and so macan will do well I suspect, just like the unlikely cayenne did. I'd happily swap my golf gti for a macan with SQ5 drivetrain. I wouldn't pay the likely 120k for it but plenty will.

The reality is the "small SUV" is the new/norm family car. The era of the Falcon and Commodore being the 'typical' family car are gone, and well to be honest I'm not surprised.................

In most cases these new small SUV's (whatever you want to call them) look better, handle better, are more economical and quite well equipped/practical cars for the money - that's why they are the most popular type vehicles for most manufactures (Porsche being no exception). In my opinion Subaru nailed it first and now there is not a manufacturer that does not offer one. 

These are not to be mistaken with Range rovers, Q7 etc. sized cars, the majority are no bigger than typical sedans so I don't see it as being a big issue. 

On the original topic, I think they look great and will go on to be a huge seller if the success of the Cayenne is anything to go by.  :)

Geeeeez and I thought I was on a Porsche forum!! I will think twice about posting such contraband next time.

DJM is your X5 an E70 or E53? Ours was an E53 sport 3.0d... Funny how the new F15 has a lot of E53 styling cues! :lol:

To say that we buy such cars to merely ponce around in, to me that is just a daft & naive statement, yes you get that.. But you get tossers in 911's too, so that's is just life!

Maybe, just maybe, that car ticks all the boxes for a porsche household and they would like to park it next to their 911. ;)

NOPE! Zero interest.

Blimey. Just what the world is screaming out for.

Another configuration of SUV.

About as interesting as more retail shopping centres.

But, what do I know, they are building them too.

Even if retail is dying.

Porsche may not have to bother building a sportscar soon.

Dave

"I have a boat argument" holds no water.

BOOM BOOM

Dave

I think they look good as far as an SUV can look good, and I'm sure for some it will mean having the ability to be an all Porsche household, so having a Porsche option in this segment is good IMO. The SUV section of the market is the fastest growing, so love em or hate em they are here to stay. Would I buy one ? maybe if it suited my needs at the time and was an addition to the collection but I guess it is still a Porsche and I'd rather have one of these than any other SUV  or rather than having no Porsche at all 

peace

Cyberpunky

Cyberpunky, I agree. If I needed an SUV and I could afford the Macan, hell yes that would be my first choice. To me it's a good looking SUV, as far as looks and SUV's go. Why buy the Q5 when you can have another Porsche in the driveway? I live in QLD and believe me there are times when I could have used an SUV rather than a Boxster. Floods are common just for a start. So even just to get the carpet further off the asphalt would be handy occasionally. Potholes are even more common. Not to mention speed bumps. Oh, I think I see my pills over there on the bench :)

Apologies to anyone who took offence to the 'Ponce about' statement.

everyone is entitled to drive what they want I suppose.

Really didn't mean to upset anyone here, which I clearly did. So I sincerely apologise for my comment(s).

I'll stick to old school Porsches, I'm more comfortable there.

Archived