Porsche Macan, any interest here?

edgy

Not great reports of PCB from those who have been recently...................shame really.

I too went for a look at cars this afternoon (new family wagon), I didn't get approached until Victoria came in - maybe that's the problem, all us blokes not getting any attention from the salesmen due to our lack of 'appeal'?

Todays top tip, take the wifey and you'll hopefully have greater chance of being noticed or acknowledged from said salesmen!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think about what the salesmen are trained to recognise.

They certainly don't have degrees in rocket science , but have been to a few sales conventions , and if lucky , to the Porsche factory.

They recognise that sex (appeal) sells ,and being mostly male , are easily seduced by an attractive,  well presented and well spoken woman.

Especially one from Toorak , Double Bay or down here , Sandy Bay.

They know how such women have a wallet loosening effect on their egocentric husbands.

When shopping for a macan or perhaps a pepper pig , likely they are coiffed "soccer moms". They are not hard to recognise and some of them have even friended me on FB , for some unknown but possibly ghastly reason.

If you do not fit into this demographic somehow , you are behind the 8 ball. Even if you are the most awesome garage snooker player with beer fridge and signed Peter Brock posters on the wall. You may even need to consider gender reassignment. It's not that dear , favourable even compared to a set of 9 inch Fuchs and a top end rebuild.

To get you thinking creatively , here are 3 free to download approaches. Ensure you are a wearing a "name" belt , even if you are wearing jeans.

1. Take a tape measure. Measure the macaaarhn for length , height and especially , width. Check and double check your measurements to guarantee attention. When asked to move on , casually mention you have a 2 car garage and want to know if the M car will fit alongside the current DD Aventador (or Gallardo if you're a bit pov). Mention a terrible golf habit if you have to. Or skiing.

2. Bring a small briefcase with you. Cheap trick is to fill with bundles of 100s ; if currently a bit pov,  stick single bills on top of painstakingly cut blank offcuts from the office shredding bin. Lazily allow the lock to disengage. OK that's the easy , lazy approach. Far more sophisticated and not appearing in the salesman's convention slideshow - enquire if said briefcase will fit behind the front seat and in the back. Explain that you are a private anaesthetist/cardiologist/intensivist and required to carry a defibrillator to and from your place of work - which might just be an AFL/ARL club.

3. Dress like the great David Walsh, who is (seriously) the greatest modern Tasmanian ever. It is not hard to find the requisite garb. Google image search will give some clues. btw He was a great space invaders player at the uni bar back in the day  ;)

Wander randomly until asked to leave -  because you're scaring other customers. Mutter that you are looking for a 21st century icon to place in your modern art museum , next to the cloaca machine. To illustrate the difference between excellence and crap. You have to use words like crap in the modern art world , believe me. I've seen a lot of crap over the years , in the world's greatest museums. Even Mona has that lardaceous crimson Boxster carcase on display.

Many things in life require acting and illusions. Things like job interviews. With a little practise and the resulting confidence you can achieve much. And have quite a bit of harmless fun at other's expense.

Or tread the sheep's path and wear a power suit and cologne and treat the salespeople like servants..I don't approve of that method.

Best of luck.

As I said before , if you can afford one , a test drive is not necessary. They are properly put together and go OK. Hopefully there will be no Cardan shaft/IMS/conrod issues. Even I am interested in one day picking one up , assuming I can test it pulling my boat up our steep hill.

Dropped in to porsche Melbourne on Thursday - pleasant difference to PCB. Again really busy with macan'ers but a sales guy came straight to me. Told me towing capacity was 2,750kg.......wrong. Checked his book and 2,400kg it is. Gearbox is the constraint on towing capacity I discovered. No go for me then and probably a tad tight anyway with my kids approaching teenage years. if you order one now, feb '15 delivery....! So he mentioned that the cayenne is getting a refresh soon and offered to send me info when they get it. That's better than PCB who ignored me last Saturday and did not follow me up all week despite sending an email to the guy who's card I was given when I called in.

I did get a call back from Jimmy at PCB today.  Saying come in anytime, go straight to reception, ask for me and even if i'm with someone else I'll get you a drive straight away.  Went in after lunch and exactly that happened.  Take it for the arvo, long as you want he says...

Drove the V6 Cayenne, took about 200m to decide for myself it was pretty lame.  Took it home to the wife, she had a quick drive and straight away commented on how here Suby Liberty GT is much quicker.

So no go...  Either get an S with the 4.8 or maybe now thinking Audi Q5 3.0 Turbo Diesel.  0-100 in 6.5 is pretty good, available secondhand straight away for 1/2 the base Macan price....  

Dropped in to porsche Melbourne on Thursday - pleasant difference to PCB. Again really busy with macan'ers but a sales guy came straight to me. Told me towing capacity was 2,750kg.......wrong. Checked his book and 2,400kg it is. Gearbox is the constraint on towing capacity I discovered. No go for me then and probably a tad tight anyway with my kids approaching teenage years. if you order one now, feb '15 delivery....! So he mentioned that the cayenne is getting a refresh soon and offered to send me info when they get it. That's better than PCB who ignored me last Saturday and did not follow me up all week despite sending an email to the guy who's card I was given when I called in.

The towing capacity really put a damper on things for me too.. I have an Audi with a dual clutch transmission and I kind of have my reservations about its use in an SUV. I think the on-road costs got to me the most... I can't stand the thought of that much depreciation in such a short term. $110k I think I got to just playing with a few options.. 

I think I am going to go back to an X5 diesel and pocket the change! :)

Archived