Porsche Macan, any interest here?

edgy

I don't understand why now that VW owns them they're still making Cayenne's and Macan's? are they trying to compete against themselves in the same segment?

shouldn't Porsche be a sports car and racing company, and Audi/VW/Skoda make SUV's?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is like washing powder. You see a 100 types on the supermarket shelves but they are made by just 2 companies. So if VAG have 27 SUV's out of a 100 SUV's on the market they are more likely to get a bigger cut of all sales rather than selling just a couple of models that may appeal to a smaller group of buyers.

I don't understand why now that VW owns them they're still making Cayenne's and Macan's? are they trying to compete against themselves in the same segment?

shouldn't Porsche be a sports car and racing company, and Audi/VW/Skoda make SUV's?

Porsche are making them because they sell and make them a lot of money :) 

Porsche are the most profitable car manufacturer in the world, the Cayenne contributing to it as their highest selling model. They are the bread and butter so we can have our GT3's. VW is a separate business, target market etc. (BTW as I understand VW only has a minority share in Porsche now as the tables have turned ;) ).

Porsche are the most profitable car manufacturer in the world, the Cayenne contributing to it as their highest selling model. They are the bread and butter so we can have our GT3's. VW is a separate business, target market etc. (BTW as I understand VW only has a minority share in Porsche now as the tables have turned ;) ).

Yup what Hugh said...  these 'entry' level models saved P.   But if one can afford a 100k car only (erm only?)  then I'd rather have a Boxster or old 911 +  a new Hyundai/Forester/Toyota or shopping trolley..  Not one Macan... Best of both worlds then.  Shopping trolley and super fun car.

they're all just trying to out "holding company" each other - but as of July 4th 2012 "The consummation of the transaction will make Volkswagen AG sole owner of Porsche’s business operations."

I'm not disputing that entry level sports cars like the Boxster saved Porsche, but now that they have a parent company they should be doing what Lamborghini etc. is doing and focusing on sports cars and not people movers.

I'm not disputing that entry level sports cars like the Boxster saved Porsche, but now that they have a parent company they should be doing what Lamborghini etc. is doing and focusing on sports cars and not people movers.

I am not against the brand having diversity, maybe they should have a go at making a tank again?  :lol:

Apologies to anyone who took offence to the 'Ponce about' statement.

everyone is entitled to drive what they want I suppose.

Really didn't mean to upset anyone here, which I clearly did. So I sincerely apologise for my comment(s).

I'll stick to old school Porsches, I'm more comfortable there.

No need for an apology. I thought it is a little naive to have preconceived ideas about peoples purchasing decisions.

As for you G-wagen comment... you do not know how hard I am refraining from sending an email about a W463 that has popped up for sale in Sydney at a reasonable price   :lol: 

That is literally our ultimate 4 wheeler, its just that current ones are far too expensive (out of budget) and engine options in earlier ones are not the best (for our intended use) but I aspire to own one, one day! 

SUVs are like iPhones. Some people need them for the functionality that only they can provide, the majority have them because everyone else has one, even though there are alternatives that can do the job just as well or better.

It was interesting to see in France pretty much no SUVs or mini SUVs. We could have counted the amount we saw on one hand.

I'm a SUV hater but am happy for Porsche to produce them if it allows them to do things like return to LeMans.

Actually I think it's a good looking car. Would I buy one, probably not, but if the Cayenne is anything to go by they might be value 2nd hand. Has anyone seen how cheap (relatively) you can pick up 2nd hand Cayenne's for? I wouldn't own one, but people I know who owned them swear by them.

Me, I really don't care what other people drive, it really doesn't effect me, and I don't care what they think about what I drive as it doesn't effect them.

Wow!!

Unbelievable to read on a Porsche forum, I considered the relative respect to be higher here.  Its like the family that picks on the fat cousin

I own both a 911 and a Cayenne and would love to keep that situation as far as I can see (upgrading the Cayenne for another at lease end would be ideal if budget allows)  I like the look of the Macan but think it may lack interior space for my next vehicle.

I would hazard a guess that many nay-sayers have:

a) not driven one

B) don't have a young family and do camping/towing/family duties

They are unlike ANY other readily available SUV, so comparing them and saying they are a VW/Audi is just wrong, the chassis is the same and the mechanicals share common parts, but the setup, tune and performance/driving experience is Porsche for sure.  It has possibly the best ESC (PSM) which is performance oriented and actually laps tracks better than many common traditional family cars.  In fact the Cayenne Turbo is very close to a 911S

So seriously for a family hauler and daily driver - show me something that suits a Porsche fan better??

(PS - have come straight out of a 2007 Subaru Liberty STi and agree with previous posters - what a great all round family car they managed to cock-up monumentally in 2010)  But still did not have the tow capacity nor camping suitability.  And the Cayenne uses less fuel than the Liberty did.

I consider myself very fortunate to have a Porsche garage and love the contrast of driving a 80's 911 compared to a modern Cayenne, but you can see the roots still there

You make some excellent points Boxer.  For me personally after seeing this thread and commenting on it , I wonder if my opinions are even valid given I'm not a new Porsche buyer anyways.  My dollars aren't going towards the mothership and helping design these new cars, or putting Carrera Cup on the track.. or going towards designing the latest GT3 or Turbo 911s!

I'd be interested to see what price point the Macan comes in at here in Aus.  But as with any car that is the cheapest in the lineup 

of a luxury car maker - it'll be called the cheap mans porsche and be treated with a sense of snobbery.

The more I look at the photo in the start of this thread, the more I like it.. the playful colored duco and the lines of it.. looks like a lovely car. But I like the MIni Countryman too :P  

Hey Amanda,

I don't think you need to be a new car purchaser to have opinion on the company direction/offers/products

I didn't buy mine new either - as someone else said earlier - they are much more affordable as a low km late model used example.  Its been surprisingly economical to own - serviced only once every 12months and I supply parts like brakes etc sourced through contacts

I also will be very interested in price point and spec, would be nice if it went head-to-head with the Audi SQ5,but I suspect Porsche will start with a less powerful option at the price point of the Audi.

Those renditions in the OP look good to me, but I have a feeling the end product will be a little less attractive looking

Hey Amanda,

I don't think you need to be a new car purchaser to have opinion on the company direction/offers/products

I didn't buy mine new either - as someone else said earlier - they are much more affordable as a low km late model used example.  Its been surprisingly economical to own - serviced only once every 12months and I supply parts like brakes etc sourced through contacts

I also will be very interested in price point and spec, would be nice if it went head-to-head with the Audi SQ5,but I suspect Porsche will start with a less powerful option at the price point of the Audi.

Those renditions in the OP look good to me, but I have a feeling the end product will be a little less attractive looking

I was thinking out loud.. I'm not the buyer that P have in mind when they are producing a car like the Macan.  Stealing buyers from BMW, Audi and VW is probably more what they have in mind - people that actually buy new cars. I'm not one of those people and I suspect many of us here aren't.

I see more Cayennes on the road than any other porsche.  I'd say in a few years the same will be said for the Macan. Like a used Boxster, sounds like the Cayenne also represents wonderful bang for buck!

I'd be interested to see what price point the Macan comes in at here in Aus.  But as with any car that is the cheapest in the lineup 

of a luxury car maker - it'll be called the cheap mans porsche and be treated with a sense of snobbery.

That always happens to the lowest price vehicle in the range :lol: , I do not doubt for a minute that lots of people buy solely on the brand just for image! 

But truth be told in the instance of our A1, I could have bought about 3 Mazda 2's... is it three times the car? You bet....  :ph34r:

At the time it suited us, now i am kind of regretting it, I have two supermini cars and one two seat 911, then there is my partner, my son and three dogs  :rolleyes:

Hey Amanda,

Boxer, I would be keen to hear about your Cayenne ownership costs! The biggest concern for me with large SUV's in terms of operating costs is; tyres & brakes! They certainly have an appetite for them. 

Sorry if I offended anyone with my comment. It wasn't supposed to. If we were all having a beer while having this conversation, I'm sure it would all come across as light hearted.

I towed this thing around for over 10,000kms in the first year we got it.

P9150009_zpsc7c11d9a.jpg

When it came time to upgrade the car I didn't feel the need for an SUV even though my dad's X5 towed the boat better than the Clubsport.

18022010051_zps7245b5f0.jpg

Now I have 2 child seats in the back, room in the middle still for an adult, more interior space than pretty much any 4wd/SUV on the market, more than enough boot space for the 4 of us including porta cot and pram, and it tows the boat brilliantly, and the other 355 days of the year I have a hi performance rocket that does 0-100kmh in 4.9 seconds and stops quicker than the Gallardo of the same year. We can all justify to ourselves why we buy a particular car so it doesn't really matter what other people think. I copped flack from the HSV forum because I put a tow bar on a HSV. I was hardly offended though because it's what allows me to have the car in the first place.

IMG_0441_zps832710a8.jpg

In my opinion the majority of people driving huge 4WD's do not tow or need such big cars.

I see them everyday passing the local school, small women driving large 4WD's dropping the kids off at school.

But hey I'm not here to judge.. I have no need for the Macan.... 

And I walk my kids to school.

You've nailed it exactly Hugh. They can build shopping trolleys if they like as long as it gives them money to spend on developing cars like the GT3, 911, Boxster and Cayman. Dont see anyone complaining about the 918! 

You are also very right in regards to who owns who. Very quietly earlier this year the Porsche and Piech families bought Qatar's 10% stake in Porsche SE which is now wholly owned by the family members and now owns 50.7% of VW AG and is the majority shareholder. 

Oh and I like the Macan but I am not an SUV person....

C

Boxer, I would be keen to hear about your Cayenne ownership costs! The biggest concern for me with large SUV's in terms of operating costs is; tyres & brakes! They certainly have an appetite for them. 

Its really no more exxy than most other vehicles these days.  My neighbour keeps shelling out $1200-$1500 every service on his Pajero and that's before parts

Cayenne standard annual service is $695 for a minor and $1200 for the major every 4th service.  I did brakes at 55k (fronts only, rears still fine). Genuine parts are murder - $800 pads only. I sourced a set of Remsa pads (OEM manufacturer and weight counter weights and electronic wear indicator fitted) for $200 and have them to the dealer to fit.

Tyree in the 18'' size are just as cheap as family wagon tyres. But I've now fitted 22's and they are about $350a corner. A set seems to last about 30k - 40k (Coopers, haven't gauged how long the Yokohama's will last yet) depending on your driving. They are nothing like an X5 with the random camber issues in the rear chewing tyres at an astonishing rate.

That said, I am not looking forward to any parts failure now its just run out of warranty. But again ill source independently I think.

SUV running costs - no issue. X5 diesel, 2 sets tyres and 1 set brakes in just over 100,000kms. Independent mechanic services are no more than any other car (as long as you give BMW a wide berth!)

I'm sure if you drove a cayenne turbo (or hipo macan) hard if will chew tyres and brakes but I did a track day in a liberty gt years ago and trashed a set of front tyres (type peeling under steer) and warped front discs,

x5 towing 2t race car and trailer used same fuel as liberty gt following on a drive to Phillip island - try that with an HSV!

Yep my wife drives kids around all week in an "SUV" but like many, we need it to tow a caravan, car, trailer (others have boats horses etc). And no doubt some just like the space, economy, quality etc and don't go 4wding or towing but so what......? give me an x5 over an HSV any day but you won't see me bagging the family who drop their kids off in 430kw GTS - their choice, doesn't affect me,

Archived