Porsche Macan, any interest here?

edgy

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife has a CX7, she'd love the Macan.

My DD is a dual cab Rodeo and it is a better drive, more rear passenger room,nearly the same economy, etc.

I don't get it, ladies just love their SUV's ? I think they are pieces of crap personally, but they sell well. Each to their own, my wife shakes her head at the size of the rear seats in my 944 so we're all different...

Good luck Macan if it going to keep the money coming in so Porsche can make the real cars that we all love.

Who cares, opinions wont stop car companies from building them.

We drive Porsche's for god's sake.

How many times have you stopped at a garage to fill up and do you know what half the people are thinking? Look at this wanker in his Porsche, what does he need that for?

I like all sorts of cars, would I have a Macan? You betcha. Can I afford one? Not at the moment.

If I had a growing family I would probably have some sort of SUV, probably don't really need one but I think young families get a sense of security in a larger car.

I don't care what people drive, if they enjoy it good luck to them, yeah sure they get in the way a bit around town but that's life and its a free world, who are we to judge peoples preferences, after all we as Porsche drivers get judged every time we go out in them, wether we like it or not.

How many times have you stopped at a garage to fill up and do you know what half the people are thinking? Look at this wanker in his Porsche, what does he need that for?

I get smiles and love every time. Giveth & thou shalt receive!

I have not gotten a single question yet about my 997, with the Elise it was always.. 

What is it?

Does it have a V8?

How much power?

How much is it?

With the 997, no questions asked, no photos taken, no crowds around the car, no weird guy hanging out of the back of the car doing 80kmh on the Geelong freeway with a video camera.

Sounds like "Elise withdrawals" my friend :)

The 997 is a thing of beauty and I sincerely wish it was in my price range, I love them.

BUT, it is a grown ups car, a car that most people think is brand new,etc so you can get some negativity as they think you must be a lawyer or whatever to have afforded one...

As we've discussed the Elise is just such a character:

Kids think it's going to transform into a robot in any minute, teenagers think it must have a V10 and 1 million HP, and people who know about cars know what a great drivers car it is.

Older Porsches seem to get a similar reaction to the Elise, in 10 years the 997 will be a great conversation starter. People regularly talk to me about my 944, how good it looks for its age or ask what it is as most people think Porsche only ever made 911's or Cayennes.

Hangin there Orion, you'll get to love it.

you have it the wrong way Mark... I am an introverted guy with a talking to strangers phobia... the amount of attention the Elise got drove me crazy !

I love the 997

I also love the way I can get my whole family in it.

I'm wondering what this will do to the used Cayenne market as the option could be between a second hand Cayenne or new Macan? thoughts? feelings? 

I would buy one but not if I could get a 2yo Cayenne with options for similar money? 

I'm wondering what this will do to the used Cayenne market as the option could be between a second hand Cayenne or new Macan? thoughts? feelings? 

I would buy one but not if I could get a 2yo Cayenne with options for similar money? 

I tend to feel the same way... Im interested pending price, if it comes in on the high side then a lightly used or demo cayenne diesel is probably a better value proposition.

the next family car I buy I want to keep for at least 10 years.. the fact you can extend Porsche warranty out that far gives me some confidence that there will not be any 'hidden surprises' along the way! 

If I had a growing family I would probably have some sort of SUV, probably don't really need one but I think young families get a sense of security in a larger car.

I think its definitely a 'safety' thing with families wanting SUVs and 4WD. Also, look at the marketing these days.. they either market them to families with the extended room for prams/dogs/bikes etc OR to younger people and they depict an outdoorsy lifestyle to attract those that hike/mountain bike/camp etc etc etc

When Dad was in the Police force - he saw many fatalities with 4WDs (AWD hadn't really taken off then)  hitting regular sedans and killing occupants. Horrific accidents with cars splitting in two etc -  I think people still remember these types of accidents and know that a larger, higher off the ground car can offer far more safety. 

The Macan will do well - P will market it as above but also as a sports car, to gain another side of the market.

When Dad was in the Police force - he saw many fatalities with 4WDs (AWD hadn't really taken off then)  hitting regular sedans and killing occupants. Horrific accidents with cars splitting in two etc -  I think people still remember these types of accidents and know that a larger, higher off the ground car can offer far more safety. 

I'm going to unsubscribe from this topic now as I don't want to say something offensive again.

I think people still remember these types of accidents and know that a larger, higher off the ground car can offer far more safety. 

http://www.walk.com.au/pedestriancouncil/page.asp?pageid=3250

"So I made a decision to put 3½ tonnes of steel between me and them,"

...says surgeon

(and btw my sig is a p'take)

Compact SUV's are a lot easier to get in and out of(so great for older ppl who's legs may not be as good as they once were and cripples like me) than sedans, and for young mums it easier to get kids into booster seats etc. They have a little more ground clearance, so if you are travelling and going to places where roads are less than perfect thats a plus. I don't think ppl buy them to survive a crash better personally, as most ppl do not buy a car planning on crashing it. Anyway when talking about this car we are not talking about a big ole 4WD, as it is a long way from that.

I think its definitely a 'safety' thing with families wanting SUVs and 4WD. Also, look at the marketing these days.. they either market them to families with the extended room for prams/dogs/bikes etc OR to younger people and they depict an outdoorsy lifestyle to attract those that hike/mountain bike/camp etc etc etc

When Dad was in the Police force - he saw many fatalities with 4WDs (AWD hadn't really taken off then) hitting regular sedans and killing occupants. Horrific accidents with cars splitting in two etc - I think people still remember these types of accidents and know that a larger, higher off the ground car can offer far more safety.

The Macan will do well - P will market it as above but also as a sports car, to gain another side of the market.

Look, I think this is hugely subjective.. One could argue that in a car like a Boxster you have a car that reacts faster to your input and brakes in a shorter distance, therefore you are safer as you have more chance of avoiding the impact.... Most SUVs weight about the same as a Commodore or Falcon (1800kg ish), so kinetic energy should be similar, potentially...

I've been a Police officer for over a decade, probably seen 500 odd crashes, I'm really not convinced either way about SUV safety. All I can tell you for certain is that SUVs make up the largest percentage of vehicle types in accidents that I have seen. National statistics might tell you something diferent, I don't know, is it because there are more SUVs on the road? Quite possibly. Do I think my kids are safer in our CX7 compared to a new Commodore? No, I don't think they are. If it was a $100k + Macan, maybe given Porsches technology.

Disappointed with actual appearance compared to artist rendition on first page :(

I guess we just have to wait and see it! :) 

The biggest question mark I have is what the rear tail lamps will look like on the production car? I remember tracking the Toyota 86 through its paces and the final production version, I didn't like the tail lamps at all (when compared to the concept) but I guess they've grown on me a bit more since then... I guess after all we are human being, we take time to adapt to change. 

Article on The Australian online: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/executive-living/personal-oz-essentials-porsche-ramps-up-for-macan-launch/story-e6frg9zo-1226750733941 

The article makes mentions of a less than $100K price tag.

Various articles state these prices for US 

Pricing for the US-bound 2014 Porsche Macan SUVs, which slot beneath the Cayenne andPanamera in Porsche’s current pricing model, will start at $52,000 for the base model, and $75,000 for the Turbo model. Keep in mind that, even though all the Macans are expected to have turbocharged engines, the “Turbo” model name is meant to designate the top performer.

And some more testing images/video released: http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/11/04/more-of-the-porsche-macans-stringent-u-s-testing/

porsche-macan-1.jpg

Engine options listed in that article are pretty consistent with everything else I have read too! 

porsche-macan-5.jpg

At launch, the Porsche Macan Turbo will feature a top of the range 3.6 litre V6 turbocharged engine with 400hp whereas its diesel alternative, the Porsche Macan S will get a supercharged 335bhp and 339lb 3.0 litre V6 whist the Diesel S will feature a 254hp and 428lb-ft turbocharged engine. A choice of either a standard six-speed manual or optional seven-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox will be made available, steering is electro-mechanical. It seems that those wanting a four-cylinder engine will have to wait a little longer!

porsche-macan-13.jpg

I envy the test drivers, they certainly get to have fun with these mules! :D

porsche-macan-7.jpg

porsche-macan-18.jpg

Archived