Porsche Macan, any interest here?

edgy

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Called into porsche Brighton today to talk myself out of buying that silver 2006 gt3......thankfully sales consultants were all tied up with Macan buyers so they didn't get to talk me into it.

There was literally a crowd of people looking at 3 Macan demos. The sales host gave me a catalogue for the macan and told me they have test drives booked every hour, 3 weeks out! Car dealers wet dream! Three sales guys were all seated talking turkey with buyers so it looks like a sales hit.

I heard one sales guy say they start at 97k drive away and have a 70k option list......! Hate to be the guy with a $170k macan diesel come resale time! Looking at spec, I reckon a base diesel with limited upgrades represents reasonable value. Lovely interior and looks quite good. Macan turbo looks tasty.

To me it's a perfect size SUV - I'd buy one to replace the X5 diesel except with 2,400kg towing capacity it's marginal to drag my caravan a couple of times a year. Cayenne (3,500kg) is crazy money for a tarted up touareg. $182k for v8 diesel cayenne demo on the lot......,no thanks. Not sure why macan tow limit is so much lower than cayenne with same v6 diesel engine? Vehicle mass not that much less either. A marketing ploy perhaps?

I reckon a base diesel with limited upgrades represents reasonable value. Lovely interior and looks quite good. 

I reckon I can tempt her indoors at the next lease time. Just have to have the value vs price discussion. I really dislike paying depreciation, I like to waste money on OS hols instead!

Was in in and around Kew today, I got excited when I saw my first one - after about 5 in around 10 mins I switched off! Couldn't believe how many there were getting around.............they have been on sale for a week! 

Nice restraint shown hugh no comment on my GT3 comment!

I reckon porsche are onto a winner with the macan. A Q5 for people wanting more performance/cache. Looks a bit less bowling club and reasonably priced (relatively speaking) and no doubt huge profit spinner.

I wonder if I buy one they'll throw in that gt3.....oh, it was a lovely thing.

Nice restraint shown hugh no comment on my GT3 comment!.

I was trying to keep things on topic, must resist, must resist.

Honestly, I feel a bit regected that you didn't invite me for a test drive. Did you touch it? Sorry, I knew this would happen if I got off topic.

Touched both but no drive (macan or GT3) they were just crazy busy, hung around 20 minutes and gave up. GT3 was locked so only SPECIAL people get to sit in that car! And to think they ignored me even though I had a wheelbarrow with $250k in dollar coins ready to go......

Must have been the tracky daks and hoodie. You can take the boy out of Frankston but....,,

I did email the sales manager to see how interested he is in a pre June 30 "package deal".....

Touched both but no drive (macan or GT3) they were just crazy busy, hung around 20 minutes and gave up. GT3 was locked so only SPECIAL people get to sit in that car! And to think they ignored me even though I had a wheelbarrow with $250k in dollar coins ready to go......

Must have been the tracky daks and hoodie. You can take the boy out of Frankston but....,,

I did email the sales manager to see how interested he is in a pre June 30 "package deal".....

That is the car, love to see you do a deal on it. Saw a white one today - looked sublime.

If its the same 997.1 gt3 I saw today at PCB then the stone chips seem consistent with track use.

The Mecan was getting an awful lot of attention from family types, while the 991 Targa was looking good and getting all the attention from individual men.

You weren't on your own being ignored. I pulled up in my 993 and parked right out front. Watched by 3 sales guys who were just standing around chatting to each other. I crawled all over that GT3 and even looked over at them but I was mr invisible. I met up with Doug and then Davidd and his friend. All of us porsche owners and for the 45 minutes we were there not one of the staff acknowledged or came near us. I am quite tempted to write to the dealer principal. I can say that I will never buy a car from there......

Oh and the macan was pretty nice. I even sat in and payed around with the seat etc and still no one came near me.....

Yeah pretty poor form. At least when i was there they were all tied up but even then you'd expect some acknowledgement ("I'll be with you shortly) not just let me wander round, play with the cars and walk out. I was genuinely interested in macan info but they let me walk away.

Yes was really poor. Oh well I know PCM treat prospective buyers much better than this so that's where I would end up if I was looking to buy one. By the way one of the four of us has just ordered a Macan S and another of the four was looking at upgrading from his 1 year old 981 boxster S. You can guess where he will be going to do that.....

Salesmen with a new release act like a hot chic surrounded by drooling 15 year olds, once they have spent their initial commissions and sales slow up they usually drop from 10s to 3s pretty damm quickly and act accordingly

Salesmen with a new release act like a hot chic surrounded by drooling 15 year olds, once they have spent their initial commissions and sales slow up they usually drop from 10s to 3s pretty damm quickly and act accordingly

Your understanding of the sales animal is uncanny. Thank goodness I can't afford a new Macan.

I was thinking about a VW for the Mrs some time ago and rolled up in my rags, actually I think I was coming back from the tip, and stood at the reception counter for about 5 minutes until someone suggested I come back at another time as they were very busy.

Yeah, I'll come back later.........when hell freezes over!!!!!!!

They did you a favour. You don't want a VW :P

Your understanding of the sales animal is uncanny. Thank goodness I can't afford a new Macan.

I was thinking about a VW for the Mrs some time ago and rolled up in my rags, actually I think I was coming back from the tip, and stood at the reception counter for about 5 minutes until someone suggested I come back at another time as they were very busy.

Yeah, I'll come back later.........when hell freezes over!!!!!!!

Since we're off topic slightly. I would like to know from a sales person point of view just how they qualify a prospective buyer at a glance. Perhaps it's the omg I don't wnat to engage with another tyre kicker when I could be closing a real deal. Its happened to me as well at numerous manufacturers dealerships.

I won't take it personally though, at the end of the day I'm looking for the best deal not a friendship. I know honest people for that.

I believe Melbourne has at least 3 week waiting list for test drives@1 hr each...

Meanwhile I was tossed the keys to the turbo up on the east coast last Sunday. Living in flannelette land has its advantages.

You don't need a test drive. If you can afford one , just buy one. It puts all other SUVs to shame.

PS it's much easier to hop on a plane and test one in Hobart  :) They might even let you out on the airport runway. after dark.

Since we're off topic slightly. I would like to know from a sales person point of view just how they qualify a prospective buyer at a glance. Perhaps it's the omg I don't wnat to engage with another tyre kicker when I could be closing a real deal. Its happened to me as well at numerous manufacturers dealerships.

I won't take it personally though, at the end of the day I'm looking for the best deal not a friendship. I know honest people for that.

one of my dads previous employers was shopping for a new Bentley Flying Spur in a singlet, shorts and a pair of thongs. I guess you can't really sus out peoples worth by looking at them. I've had experience in retail before where I spent about 2 hours spec'ing up a $20,000 PC (it was vaporchilled with the best of everything in it, like 8 huge screens etc.) and the guy just paid $10,000 deposit on the spot to get it built. Even my boss at the time was disappointed I'd spent so much time with him before this

I had the same with a guy who wanted a media centre for his house, he came back the next day and ordered 8 of them and had them installed the following week, he came back a few months later and fitted out his yacht(s) with another few machines (he was driving a 575M this time instead of the falcon he initially showed up in)

as the old saying goes, can't judge a book by it's cover

I almost find more often that the people that try the 'hardest' to look wealthy generally aren't that well off - its the guys in jeans and black t-shirts (Steve Jobs types) that you need to keep an eye on..................... :ph34r:  ;)

I almost find more often that the people that try the 'hardest' to look wealthy generally aren't that well off - its the guys in jeans and black t-shirts (Steve Jobs types) that you need to keep an eye on..................... :ph34r:  ;)

There's one well known guy down here who shuffled in and paid cash for a new 911 a few years back. Not interested in a demo , just gimme the keys, apparently.

My comment to one of the sales guys at PC Brisbane at the PCQ Macan launch night, you must be laughing all the way to the bank. He just smiled and said that there was a fairly long production waiting time after order was placed. Yeah right, such a hassle. 

My comment to one of the sales guys at PC Brisbane at the PCQ Macan launch night, you must be laughing all the way to the bank. He just smiled and said that there was a fairly long production waiting time after order was placed. Yeah right, such a hassle. 

Order today , delivery sometime in 2015, sorry!

Also went to Porsche Brighton today... not to buy a Macan though.

I've rang them twice this week about a Cayenne for wifey - no call back.

So thought i'd drop in.  Wandered around for 15-20 mins.... silly me. I totally forgot that I wore my cloak of invisibility today!

The place was full of sales staff, but no one even acknowledged me....  Was ready to buy today too.

I guess if you don't have a Macan appointment you're a nobody!  Or I look way too poor to ever buy a Porsche...

Or maybe they were just upset I might have let a little drool slip onto the Silver 997 GT3 & the black 991 Turbo!

Archived