McCarrs Creek Rd

Guest Harold

A little while ago the council totally resurfaced this road that goes from Terry hills down to church point and then onto the water. It is as smooth as can be for most of the way. I drove down it again this week with the suspension on sport and it was so wonderful. If you are in the north, go and give it a go.

Yes I do, but if you turn off towards Cottage Point and keep going straight ahead, this road is nice as well. You will end up for the turnoff to West head or turn right and end up on MCCarrs creek road again. Still, watch out for those Cyclists...

The road that goes through the national park goes to Akuna Bay and then reconnects to McCarrs Creek rd. The road is twisty but is also pretty rough and you may well find your car bottoming out in places. We had our boat down there until we relocated to church point a year ago so I used to travel it often.

Now that's a road where you find lots of lycra clad dudes, I avoid this road on my motor bike as it is very uncomfortable.

Used to drive up there at night (when the car was road registered) and really give the beast a damn good thrashing. Would get to the bottom and drive up the hill again. Uphill is better in my opinion. Used to see / hear the boom of E85 gearchanges. Big flash would briefly fill the peripheries and rear vision mirror. Good Times!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just completed Akuna Bay Road with my wife.

It was a fairy miserable journey with the bounces travelling up and down my spine, translating into a rather jiggly accelerator pedal.

Suffice to say my wife suggested next time she wear a sports bra :)

Recommendation: Avoid until resealed.

I went through at about between 1:30 - 2:30pm. Most do the 6am Sunday run from home base, so maybe it was over by the time we went through. There was still the odd one, but not enough to worry.

• 2 months later...

How did you get rid of the Lycra brigade we barely got up to 20 km/hr this morning going through there

Go after 9am, we (i.e. cyclists) are mostly gone by then :) 

The road surface through Akuna is crap anyway. West Head rd is smooth as a billiard table but boring. McCarrs creek rd is the pick of the bunch with a nice surface and some twisties. Still reckon it's more fun descending on a pushie.

The Old Pacific Hwy descent to Mooney Mooney (both north and south-bound) is better again both in car and on bike. I've overtaken many a car and motorbike going down there. 

• 2 years later...

Holy Thread Resurrection! Just found this, and as MCR is my local favourite ribbon, thought I'd add my 2c. Yes, its busy during the day and esp on Sunday mornings, but on a clear Wednesday evening after, say, 9pm, it is a beautiful thing. Devoid of traffic, and smooth running, there's plenty of fun to be had. OK, so you can't access West Head Road, but that's not really any loss. The loop around Akuna is fun, just watch out for the night fishermen - they used to love hearing my old Liberty whistle its turbocharged, flat four fart across the valley. At least I think they were waving at me...

Night time runs with the hood down in the MX5 some years ago were also a blast, and going uphill is definitely more fun than down - the series of tight twists about 3/4 of the way up providing opportunity for a dab of oppo, with the close proximity of the rock face ensuring concentration!

I don't currently have a car that encourages me to drive MCR that often, though it is a road that, at the right time, can be enjoyable even in a CX9. Go on, ask me how I know...

Having said all that, as a cyclist, it is also a total blast to scoot down, and as an MTB'er, there are other trails alongside that make the whole area fun.

• 1 year later...

I can drive this road everyday to and from work then onto link road through st Ives which is also a bit of fun on the way to Chatswood.

atm it adds on about 8- 10 mins to my trip and in the current car so I'm not doing it 

However when the new GT3 manual turns up I maybe late for work quite regularly

and as I start at 10 this could work out great. 

Sometimes I just have to pinch myself as to how fortunate I am...

this road is now very nice and smooth, hopeful not to hit a cyclist .. there are some very blind corners through that pass. 

The cops have upped their patrols of MCR in recent times - just passed one yesterday. So do a slow run through first and then do a U-turn and run it again. They usually sit on the two straight stretches just after the restaurants near the roundabout. 

• 2 months later...

MCR + Westhead, love it. Watch out for cyclists struggling uphill. “Don’t have to drive fast to enjoy the drive”. Towards Cottage Pt is also a good drive and less cyclists. Local resident so know the Road very well. Enjoy?

Archived