Automatic Rear Spoiler on my 987 Boxster

mockney999

Hello Everyone,

I am very new to Porsche ownership I have only had my boxster a week or so, bearing that in mind I hope you dont mind if I ask a few basic questions here... I promise over time I will try and learn as much as I can about my car and provide some good input to the forum where possible :-).

So easy question number 1.

What speed should I be doing in order for my rear spoiler to deploy?, I have been trying to see in my wing mirrors and rear view mirror but as yet I have not had the pleasure of seeing it raise.

I want to make sure it's functioning correctly so if there was a problem would I have some type of warning light on the dash....

Ok yes I do need to sit down and read my owners manual cover to cover, but so far I have been having just too much fun driving :-).

Thanks

Paul

Hello Everyone,

I am very new to Porsche ownership I have only had my boxster a week or so, bearing that in mind I hope you dont mind if I ask a few basic questions here... I promise over time I will try and learn as much as I can about my car and provide some good input to the forum where possible :-).

So easy question number 1.

What speed should I be doing in order for my rear spoiler to deploy?, I have been trying to see in my wing mirrors and rear view mirror but as yet I have not had the pleasure of seeing it raise.

I want to make sure it's functioning correctly so if there was a problem would I have some type of warning light on the dash....

Ok yes I do need to sit down and read my owners manual cover to cover, but so far I have been having just too much fun driving :-).

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul.. welcome aboard to PFA and Boxster 987 ownership!

Firstly mine raises at 120km - I can't see it raise from the drivers seat BUT if a passenger turns around they can see it go up.  Like you, I had no idea if mine was working either until I had someone look at it for me at speed. It goes down at 80km too.  I'm sure you have pressed the button in the cabin to raise it and gotten out and had a look.  I think  it's one of those nifty little things these cars do. I want to put a decal on mine  like  I love Porsche or something tacky - with say a reflective material so it shows up in the dark!  

It works differently to the 997 above.

+1 from the above...

up @ 120 kph and back down at 80 kph

or hit the button and drive it manually...

and you can't see it as a driver, didn't know the passenger could !!

no warning lights etc to tell you its up unless you have flicked the switch yourself….

Hope you are enjoying the car, i'm about 3 months and 7000k's into ownership and are loving it...

Still makes me smile to walk into the garage and see it sitting there….

+1 from the above...

up @ 120 kph and back down at 80 kph

or hit the button and drive it manually...

and you can't see it as a driver, didn't know the passenger could !!

no warning lights etc to tell you its up unless you have flicked the switch yourself….

Hope you are enjoying the car, i'm about 3 months and 7000k's into ownership and are loving it...

Still makes me smile to walk into the garage and see it sitting there….

Caver could see mine go up.. so you'd probably need a fairly tall passenger I'd imagine.

Thanks for all your replies, I really apprecite the responses. I am very proud to be a member of this forum :-).

So...sorry for being a bit slow on the uptake here, I can see from the manual extract that Orion kindly uploaded the manual operation should allow me to press the button in the cabin and extend the spoiler regardless of the speed I am driving, so for example to test it's funtioning I could start the engine, press the button so the light is on and then just get out and see if my spoiler in in the raised position?.

Regards

Paul

Yes Paul, you don't even have to start the engine, just turn the ignition on.  One touch will raise it, if the engine is not running, you should hear the motor whirring as the spoiler extends.  If you are stopped and you need to lower it, you have to hold the button down until it is completely retracted.  If you are moving, then it retracts with one touch.  This is intended to prevent anyone getting their fingers caught.

It is virtually impossible to see the extended spoiler when seated.  When I was riding with Amanda, I undid my seatbelt and raised myself off the seat a couple of centimetres and was then able to see it operating.

This is a common behaviour from new owners....they have to see the spoiler working.  Must be a boy thing.

There is an aftermarket gadget made in Germany which flashes an indicator LED on a new dash mounted switch when the spoiler is in motion and stays on when the spoiler is extended.  I put one in my car and it's a nice little extra, plus it uses up one of the switch blanks too.  However, the guy only makes them for the 986.  I've not see one for the 987.  But then, the 986 doesn't have a dash mounted switch either.

Welcome to the Forum, glad you're enjoying your Boxster!

Thanks Caver, your right it must be some sort of emotion the first time you drive a car with this type of function, I am convinced it's not working but I guess its just my paranoia because I cant actually see it working... the car is in perfect condition and I bought from a top dealer and it's already been checked over by the guys at Willoughy Porsche so I know its a good one, but ok I now have to get through the next few hours at work before I can go home and test it...

Yes loving the boxster, the step up from my Alfa Brera Spider 2.2JTS is just night and day, I drove it for over 100kms just around Sydney last night and was not once even tempted to turn the stereo on, the noise coming from the engine was all the music I needed..... absoloutely superb.

I drove it for over 100kms just around Sydney last night and was not once even tempted to turn the stereo on, the noise coming from the engine was all the music I needed..... absolutely superb.

Paul, give me a yell if you want to catch up for a coffee and to kick a few tyres.  I'm in Thornleigh.  Plus, the Sydney crew are getting together for drinks on Wednesday 4th Dec.  Cheers!  David.

Honest officer, the spoiler is up because I manual pushed the button, not because I exceeded 120kmh on the freeway on ramp

....and that's exactly why I installed a dash mounted switch.... -_-

Paul, give me a yell if you want to catch up for a coffee and to kick a few tyres.  I'm in Thornleigh.  Plus, the Sydney crew are getting together for drinks on Wednesday 4th Dec.  Cheers!  David.

....and that's exactly why I installed a dash mounted switch.... -_-

Hi David, thanks sounds great would be good to catch up. I have a mate nearby by in Warrawee, so I know the area well. Yea the 4th is good for me or anytime you want to catch up let me know.

Cheers

Paul

Really has never been something I care about. But then again....my average speed here in Singapore is 24kmh. Why would I want to raise or lower it manually, I'd buy a ducktail ifI was that vain!

It's not vanity - it's enthusiasm! And maybe raise it to let some air in!

:P

Really has never been something I care about. But then again....my average speed here in Singapore is 24kmh. Why would I want to raise or lower it manually, I'd buy a ducktail ifI was that vain!

Thanks for your input to the thread..... I wonder why you felt the need to post?. Let's keep things fun as was my intention when offering this thread for comments. If I or anyone else wants to play with every single gadget on their car and discuss it their friends I dont think anyone should be in a position to suggest its vanity.

I could say if your driving around at 24kph all the time in such a small city even owning a Porsche in the first place shows a certain amount of vanity, Maybe owning a Toyata Yaris type vehicle would be more appropriate to your views? .... But the good thing about me is I dont judge people, drive what you like and enjoy whatever apspect of that car you want.

Have a good day :-)...

Thanks for your input to the thread..... I wonder why you felt the need to post?. Let's keep things fun as was my intention when offering this thread for comments. If I or anyone else wants to play with every single gadget on their car and discuss it their friends I dont think anyone should be in a position to suggest its vanity.I could say if your driving around at 24kph all the time in such a small city even owning a Porsche in the first place shows a certain amount of vanity, Maybe owning a Toyata Yaris type vehicle would be more appropriate to your views? .... But the good thing about me is I dont judge people, drive what you like and enjoy whatever apspect of that car you want.Have a good day :-)...

And all that on your 12th post......very impressive.

Just so as to enlighten you under your little rock, The "small" city that I live in is about the same size as your "small" city in both size and population. But, if you've ever ventured outside your current shaded place you'd know that. You'd also know that the roads here are amazing and although the low average speeds indicate a low travelled speed....that's far from the truth.

But then again.....you apparently dont suggest and judge.

Grow up.

First thing I did with my car was get all the little things working. Intermittent wiper delay, power mirror adjuster switch, light in clock, etc. Didn't need to fix power mirror switch as I am only one who drives the car but it's nice to have everything working. If I had a power rear wing Id be using it all the time just because I could

Exactly Bruce!  In the case of "mockney999", with whom I've had a telephone conversation, he just wants to make sure everything is working as it should, particularly as it's a new purchase and still under warranty.  He is learning about his car.  How do you learn?  By poking and looking and turning everything on and off.

With the Boxsters, new owners get confused by the spoiler warning light which comes on with the oil, brake, handbrake etc, warning lights.  Many people assume that it's an indicator light and therefore, because it doesn't illuminate when driving, they assume that the spoiler isn't working as it should be.  However, it's the opposite.  The warning light warns that the spoiler ISN'T working because at speeds above 120kph, the car will generate lift and affect stability.

I did exactly the same when I got my car, before I read the manual.

Exactly Bruce!  In the case of "mockney999", with whom I've had a telephone conversation, he just wants to make sure everything is working as it should, particularly as it's a new purchase and still under warranty.  He is learning about his car.  How do you learn?  By poking and looking and turning everything on and off.

With the Boxsters, new owners get confused by the spoiler warning light which comes on with the oil, brake, handbrake etc, warning lights.  Many people assume that it's an indicator light and therefore, because it doesn't illuminate when driving, they assume that the spoiler isn't working as it should be.  However, it's the opposite.  The warning light warns that the spoiler ISN'T working because at speeds above 120kph, the car will generate lift and affect stability.

I did exactly the same when I got my car, before I read the manual.

Hi Caver, yes totally agree, its a very worthwhile thing to do just gives you confidence everything is working and anyway who doesnt buy a new toy with lots of gadgets and want to have some fun?..... but anyway enough of the haters I had my little dig back so I will leave Hound-dog to go and play with his friends instead ;-).

My investigations have found one item on the car that is not working, I dont think I will get is on warranty either. The tiptronic (shift Up) doesnt work on the right hand side on the steering wheel. Its slightly annoying because for me it's natural to use the right hand side tiptronic controls as opposed to the left, so I will need to get it fixed.

I guess that's a whole new thread in terms of likley cause of the up shift button not working and also the scary part the likley cost....

Archived