Tit-Wagon - 964C2

Tit

What better way to spend Christmas afternoon than doing a mini-project on the porker....

So - like most 964/993 owners, my AC/Heater controls stay running after the car is stopped and makes strange buzzing noises for about 15 min after the car is turned off.  It also sporadically made a squealing noise when running at any setting less than full-blast.

Mercifully, when I had a peek at Rennlist yesterday, the first unread topic was someone asking about just this problem...

I ultimately had a look at this thread and thought I'd have a crack at it.

i-R5BdMKb-L.jpg

Everything came out just fine (though the harnesses had me worried I was going to damage something, they were jammed in so tightly.  I found that the solution in the thread above did not work, so upon closer inspection, it looked like the magnets in the fan were contacting with the internals on the opposite side of the assembly.

i-Jmt3dWJ-L.jpg

i-KVPgtqX-L.jpg

So I solved the problem by lightly tapping out the shaft of the fan blades about 0.5mm and the fan appeared to be spinning freely again.  There was also still spinning resistance from the magnets - hopefully I haven't pushed them too far away from the coil!

(it's difficult to see in this photo, but I have a pen-mark at the base of the shaft, and you can see a small gap below that - that's how much I shifted the fan on the shaft...)

i-8GxXBQT-L.jpg

Anyway...it all went back in  and sounds like it's running silently now....hopefully this averts the need to part with $300-ish for a replacement!

Merry Christmas!

Had a 40 and a 37 here last week.

Usually catch a month of crappy hot weather.  I have thick blood - love Canberra winters!

How did you not notice the aircon was deleted? Was the compressor and stuff still in the back??

Impressive mate, tried the same on my old girl to discover......

Aircon Deleted by P.O........ Just think of the additional horse power & do you need air on in the fridge called Canberra???????

White C2, black interior. You struck the mother load brother. I had assumed that that car sold ages ago so never bothered to call the guy. Very jealous now.

Don't want to talk you into the wing but the lairy side of me loves it. Stick it away in the garage and when I finally find a tidy 964/993 I will be a starter for it.

I see that there are many forum topics that elicit strong instant expert views and oil would be one of the biggest. I have used Penrite 'extra 10' fully synthetic with high zinc content in both my 964 C4 and Formula Ford race engine where the zinc content is very important for a couple of years. I would recommend it without hesitation. Have also run castrol R synthetic with similar strong oil pressure performance, but Mobil S semi synthetic gave some very odd oil pressure results so I stopped using it.

Enjoy that georgous c2.

Thanks! Like I said, I don't know why the PO answered the phone when I called.  He was actually surprised at how little interest he'd recieved in the car. haha...lucky me, I guess.

I've got 10 litres of Penrite 20W-60 "plus 10" mineral / Zinc sitting in the garage.  Will have a crack at it in the next day or so.  I'm going for 5000km intervals.  Was wondering if the high-temp viscosity of 60 would have a power & economy impact though...

It's not as 'perfect' as perhaps KGB, DJMs and Hepkat's - but I knew it was a unique thing when I found it.  Shoving my play money into the engine and clutch hopefully means that I mainly have smaller ($$) things to deal with in the upcoming years.

If you find a 964 before I find my OEM spoiler - we could do a wing+$$ swap! :P

White C2, black interior. You struck the mother load brother. I had assumed that that car sold ages ago so never bothered to call the guy. Very jealous now.

Don't want to talk you into the wing but the lairy side of me loves it. Stick it away in the garage and when I finally find a tidy 964/993 I will be a starter for it.

I see that there are many forum topics that elicit strong instant expert views and oil would be one of the biggest. I have used Penrite 'extra 10' fully synthetic with high zinc content in both my 964 C4 and Formula Ford race engine where the zinc content is very important for a couple of years. I would recommend it without hesitation. Have also run castrol R synthetic with similar strong oil pressure performance, but Mobil S semi synthetic gave some very odd oil pressure results so I stopped using it.

Enjoy that georgous c2.

• 1 month later...

Because Hepkat is rebuilding his car piece by piece, I've been lucky enough to catch some parts off him. Thanks!

I'll be keeping the original stuff, but for now I thought I'd try out clear indicators.  Also got a slightly better condition rear light centre section. These are the easiest light fittings I've ever dismantled on any car..

i-j6zCRR9-L.jpg

Gave it a clean...

i-xnTT2nc-L.jpg

One of the lenses was a bit cloudy, so I hit it with some toothpaste and elbow grease....slight improvement...

i-QjZdq3F-L.jpg

i-SjBLxzd-L.jpg

Rear section that's not pink!

i-QGG9dd9-L.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So am I!

Though it needs to be painted. More importantly, I still need a motor and gear cable.

I was wondering if I'd have cooling issues if I drove without the motor for a while - ie. it won't raise for the 'extra cooling' above 80km/h...

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I'm hanging to see the new wing on,

So am I!

Though it needs to be painted. More importantly, I still need a motor and gear cable.

I was wondering if I'd have cooling issues if I drove without the motor for a while - ie. it won't raise for the 'extra cooling' above 80km/h...

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I have made mine manual operation and have noted that it seems to make no difference at all to cooling even on a hot day at highway speeds