Tit-Wagon - 964C2

Tit

So. P-Car mods have been slow due to the wallet-draining habits of our other two cars.  I've whined about the VW, but unfortunately our MINI has exposed a problem that modern Euro-car drivers might experience.  Due to the engine having direct injection, the intake ports are prone to carbon build up.  In our case, it go so bad that no. 1 cylinder started to ping...Anyway - my awesome mechanic managed to get it all cleaned out and it's running like a champ again..

This is likely to be a risk on any BMW DI engine....which is most of them since about 2003...

Check out this filth!

i-HVrtTj7.jpg

Engine is nice & clean, though! Regular oil changes!

i-H4NR7Lt-XL.jpg

As for the 911...the old girl started to leak in that classic 964 location - the lower valve covers.  I've got some shiny genuine aluminum ones (post 1991/2) here that i got for a bargain from Rennspeed on eBay.

i-8hmXLPN-L.jpg

i-Kx3MvRp-L.jpg

Also....operation wing-clip has commenced....woop!  Parts dropped off to the paint-shop today.

i-9hmKcsV-L.jpg

Finally, I picked up some Elephant Racing bushings for the front control arms as well as tie-rods.  Hoping to have this all sorted out in the next two weeks...doubt I'll be organised in time for the Canberra cruise, though....

Cool. I'll check that out.

I was thinking meth injection...:P

tit, might be worth running some subaru upper engine cleaner through your intake once a year.. cleans out the crap!

• 1 month later...

VICTORY IS MINE!!

(well...mostly)

Finally got the OEM decklid on.

Though the painter did a #@$ job.  Poorly prepped surface and colour not quite a match, even though I gave them a panel to go off...ffs..

i-B6VnqSN-M.jpg

i-cVBq4Lv-M.jpg

i-VrvZjCt-M.jpg

i-JS86wTT-M.jpg

i-dH38Q2r-M.jpg

i-bzkG9Cj-M.jpg

That means I'll put the old wing up for sell/trade...will include the decklid...

• 3 weeks later...

Long day under the car yesterday. Luckily I had access to a workshop and hoist.  But more importantly, an experienced set of hands.

Things we had to solve:

1. Leaky oil cooler hoses & totally filthy front oil cooler.

2. Leaky lower valve covers

3. Shagged front swaybar drop links

4. Shagged front control arm bushes

5. Replace tie-rods

6. Oil Change

Oil cooler hoses

Check out this filth. I only noticed the oil stains after I removed the front drivers side wheel.  It looked like it had been leaking far longer than in my ownership. Sort of disappointing that Weltmeister missed this in the PPI.  <_<

I never had any issues with cooling or oil pressure though. Indeed, it takes quite a while to get up to temp.

i-BWqTm56-L.jpg

i-znMxnd2-L.jpg

i-mbvm2w7-L.jpg

i-cTHmbCj-L.jpg

Cleaned the cooler up and replaced the hoses...

i-Nz9p4V9-L.jpg

Valve Covers

Replaced the old magnesium ones with later (1992?) aluminum covers and new gaskets.  Hopefully that stops the dripping..

Oil drain plug magnet didn't have much on it....which was nice.

Everything seemed in good order...rocker/valve spacing seemed good.

i-K4JhLZX-L.jpg

i-j6pg5Bm-L.jpg

Fresh Alu covers:

i-J8vcMrw-L.jpg

Suspension work

The bushes were the most time consuming - removing the control arm bushes involved a lot of oxy-torch and saw action.  Unfortunately the day was running long and my buddy needed to get home so I thought it wasn't appropriate to whip out the camera.

Replaced the drop-links and tie-rods as well. Here's a crappy shot of a new tie-rod going in.  Wow! :P

i-xPhWcVt-L.jpg

I did wake up in the middle of the night wondering if I'd put the drop links on backwards!  Hopefully not!!

Oil Change etc

She ate up over 12 litres of Penrite HPR whatever-it-is...20W-60 Uber-Zinc dino juice. (Remembering that the oil lines and cooler were totally empty as well).

The car stayed in the shop so that we can drive her up the street for an alignment on Monday. 

Fingers crossed that all that work means it won't handle like a hobo riding a shopping trolley down a hill anymore...

PS: Thanks to JustJames for the speedy parts mailing.  That was a really big box for a freddo frog, but the wife didn't complain when I gave it to her...

Not really. Every other mechanic I've spoken to says it's good.  The guy I was working with yesterday uses it on his own cars and he's been spannering on all kinds of Euros for the last decade.

Tit,

Did you ever establish the reason why Autoart don't recommend Penrite?

Nice work on your car BTW

So I got the car back from the alignment.  Went for the RS specs and the tech got it pretty close:

Front (L/R)

Camber -1.00 deg / -1deg04min

Caster 4deg31min / 4deg32min

Toe 1.6mm / 1.4mm (2.9mm total)

Rear (L/R)

Camber -1deg21min / -1deg21min

Toe 1.6mm / 1.3mm (2.9mm total)

Looks like my pressures were a little low in the rear, though. So will hit the pump tomorrow 36psi front / 36 psi rear.

Anyway....it feels like someone has released the elephant out of my frunk!

So much lighter up front, and very responsive steering.  I think this is the 911 'feel' people talk about. I'm more aware of the rearward centre of gravity and now I can turn with gentle inputs rather than wrestling the steering wheel around.

I think the knackered front drop-link bushes were the most important - those were causing the car to 'fight me' in the roll axis. The other shagged bushings would have also been causing alignment changes under deflection.

So now onto the rear bushes once the piggy-bank recovers!

And here's another shot of her two weekends ago:

i-9VHtkwW-XL.jpg

• 1 month later...

My update now seems a little feeble next to Uncle and FlatSix's!  Never-the-less...

1. Steering wheel on.  Had to pull the boss back off to get the horn terminal to make contact....honks good now!

i-5KQRkjq.jpg

2. Finally got a new 'Carrera 2' logo re-fitted:

i-r6dkCC3-2464x1823.jpg

3. Stuck some yoga mats to the walls to protect my doors...looks ugly, but I'm sure I won't regret it! (You can see the difference in the paint tones in this pic, too.  I wonder if some light cutting back of the paint will make the difference?)

i-fLqLMNq.jpg

(I have since stuck down the warped middle sections...)

Yeah. I hope that is the case.

Strange thing is that the panel beaters paint matched the colour against the old deck lid. I don't think they looked up the Porsche paint code.

Also the reason your paint doesn't look the same might be because the rest of it is 20 year old paint. Maybe a good polish of the rest of the car might help?

Yeah. I hope that is the case.

Strange thing is that the panel beaters paint matched the colour against the old deck lid. I don't think they looked up the Porsche paint code.

Did the old decklid match 100%?

Yes. It was horrific.

Panzerjaeger now has it for prosperity on his man cave. There was one barcode sticker on there that I could not remove without destroying. It was a metallic-based sticker. Everything else had a part-number so I can replace those on the new deckild.

So someone screwed that wing onto the original decklid! Shame!

So. I was thinking about the future of this car.  Which brought me to wondering about the 'modification' discussion in a recent thread on here.  I generally have no problem with modifying cars...but I'm starting to feel a little different about this one.

I was looking at my wheels, and realised I really like how the Cup1's look.  What I really don't like is the weight of the replicas I have.  So the logic in my head went like this: "OK....find some OEM Cup 1 wheels.  Perhaps I should keep this car close to stock as possible as well."

Which brings me to my question.  What does the peanut gallery consider reasonable when it comes to 'close to stock' condition?  (I say that, because previous owners have put cup mirrors on this car, H&R springs, a 930S steering wheel, non-porsche couplings in the air-con system, a Blaupunkt head-unit, G-pipe, an after-market radio antenna in the front right quarter-panel and I don't have the original wheels).

For example would it be acceptable to the tweed-jacket brigade to:

- put something like KW coil-overs instead of using OEM suspension,

- keep the Blaupunkt CD player (it looks like it was made in the 90's and matches the interior),

- keep the non-original steering wheel,

- have wheels that weren't delivered with the car,

- have clear indicators instead of the original orange ones (I'm still not convinced on this one),

- have 'RS' additions like mirrors and brake ducts,

- have non OEM bushes in the suspension, engine and gearbox, and

- have non OEM shifter-couplings.

Also, would a 'G-pipe', high-flow cat and chip be pushing things?  I'm starting to feel it would...

ie. at what point is it considered an (over) modified car?  I know a lot of 964's have been fiddled with to give an 'RS' look and the general consensus seems to be this is ok.

I know some will be inclined to say "it's your car, do what you want".  To that I say - I'm not convinced that I would enjoy it more if it was modified.

PS: @Dreamr, it doesn't have a smog pump, but I'd definitely remove that! :P