Tit-Wagon - 964C2

Tit

I hear you........

I just received last week a rather large delivery if all the original parts for my 964 - from original wheels, exhaust, mirrors the lot. I doubt I'll ever use them but seeing as though the owner had them I wanted to keep these parts with the car for any potential future owners as they may feel different.

I think the cups suit these cars perfect in a 'factory' way so I'll be keeping them for sure and I too am not convinced on the orange indicators because I think these again suit the car and it doesn't seem like that long ago to me people were putting clear lenses in Mitsubishi mirages and that makes me think twice!

My car has been chipped, modded brakes, suspension etc. etc. but to me it is still in-keeping with the original integrity of the car and I'm cool with that and enjoy it that little bit more because of it. My thoughts are so long as it's a sensitive (and potentially reversible) modification then why not have some fun with it? That said I'm not the tweed jacketed peanut that your probably interested in hearing from!

one thing i would definitely do is remove the antenna from the fender and fill in the hole. that's a bit wtf on the previous owners part

From my understanding Clutch this was most commonly done by the original dealers because the windscreen mounted aerials gave poor reception in Australia at the time. Actually one of the PFA members (a 356 black in his avatar. name ????) who was a factory mechanic tells an amusing tale of drilling holes in mudguards for this purpose.

Agree, it's a bit of a naff thing to do to a new car though!

I was just about to tell this story.

The other one was the immobiliser. Apparently insurers wouldn't cover these cars without them. So dealers were putting them in as well. My car has one. I'm paranoid about old immobilisers and it stranding me somewhere...

From my understanding Clutch this was most commonly done by the original dealers because the windscreen mounted aerials gave poor reception in Australia at the time. Actually one of the PFA members (a 356 black in his avatar. name ????) who was a factory mechanic tells an amusing tale of drilling holes in mudguards for this purpose.

Agree, it's a bit of a naff thing to do to a new car though!

Thanks Amanda!

Will be good when you can return to p-car ownership.

You might understand, though, that I love our mini as much as this car ;)

Love your 964 Tit it looks just awesome!

I was just about to tell this story.

The other one was the immobiliser. Apparently insurers wouldn't cover these cars without them. So dealers were putting them in as well. My car has one. I'm paranoid about old immobilisers and it stranding me somewhere...

It came to me: jnr356

hamiltons didn't install the antennas,these were fitted at PCA

the windscreen antennas didn't quite cut it,one of the biggest "deadspots" was in the toorak/south yarra area(where a vast majority of owners lived.)

i remember sticking a round piece of black tape to a ridiculous position on a mudguard and going into the service manager and saying i drilled the antenna hole in the wrong spot

he looked through the window and saw it,the look on his face was priceless :D

I'm not convinced that I would enjoy it more if it was modified.

Think of them as improvements rather than modifications and consider what would Porsche have done if they weren't constrained.

I'll echo others' sentiments re mods being reversible and tasteful esp with a car like yours which is pretty rare and not already modded beyond the point of no return.

My update now seems a little feeble next to Uncle and FlatSix's! Never-the-less...

1. Steering wheel on. Had to pull the boss back off to get the horn terminal to make contact....honks good now!

i-5KQRkjq.jpg

(I have since stuck down the warped middle sections...)

A nice set of reclinable bucket seats would go well with that steering wheel :).

I'm 50/50 between reconditioning originals or getting some recaros...

Slowly slowly!

A nice set of reclinable bucket seats would go well with that steering wheel :).

That ship sailed in December when I got the clutch replaced. At the time I wasn't convinced I wanted to spend every set of stop lights slipping the clutch or stalling...then I would have had to get the tune as well. I had the engine builder put everything to OEM.

I was worried about the slippery slope! :P

I may have choosen differently if making the decision now I know the car...but its too late, really.

also you did not mention lightweight flywheel on your list of mods and it should be on there :P

• 1 month later...

Just some small stuff this weekend...

Fixed up the passenger-side weather-strip on the side skirt & finally transferred the rego...

Tips for other players - the front clip is a screw-and-(plastic) nut, not a press-in clip..

i-8x6DRGW.jpg

i-9rPk3fb.jpg

i-HsbbdCM-X3.jpg

Broken vs new press-in-clips

i-XX7nQ89-X3.jpg

i-9c3Wq2w.jpg

Euro-plates remind me how small 911's actually are....

i-nh54cQ2.jpg

i like your mods.. if you ever sell the replica cups, let me know.

Today I put Bilstein HD suspension and H&R springs in.. I don't have a problem that it's a bit lower than stock. I'll keep the old stuff in a box somewhere for future owners. Funny.. I also got the same wheel as you and nathan... (flat 6) . 

Where'd you get the aluminium valve covers? they look good and I need to get rid of my magnesium ones too.

i like your mods.. if you ever sell the replica cups, let me know.

Today I put Bilstein HD suspension and H&R springs in.. I don't have a problem that it's a bit lower than stock. I'll keep the old stuff in a box somewhere for future owners. Funny.. I also got the same wheel as you and nathan... (flat 6) . 

Where'd you get the aluminium valve covers? they look good and I need to get rid of my magnesium ones too.

Thanks! Re Cup 1s - Contact TK111 first - he has a set he's trying to sell.  If those are gone, I have a spare set that I'm happy to part with....

Bilstein HD / H&R are the time-honoured combo for the 964 - I assume that means they are good.  I have H&R on there from the previous owner.  KW's are in the car's future, though. 

I found a place on ebay for the valve covers - they are actually porsche items..

From this store: http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/rennspd

nice work, those clips for rocker panels- turns out there are two different types depending on the year.. and they have the same part number.. thanks pelican parts :angry:

Got mine from JustJames...they were the correct ones, thankfully!

• 1 month later...

Nothing interesting going on with my car, so I thought I'd put up some shots of the local Aircooled Kollectiv run this last weekend...

i-hSS3X45-X3.jpg

Photographing straight into the sun and windscreen reflection....cameras 101... :P

i-HFpqZ99-X3.jpg

Terry explaining where the engine's gone...

i-cTkjFbR-X3.jpg

Oh...there it is...

i-XGWp8JB-X3.jpg

i-7vK8zfJ-X3.jpg

i-8Rxm9kk-X3.jpg

i-zNVTnvL-X3.jpg