Tit-Wagon - 964C2

Tit

Having just tracked down the cause of 2 leaks being the oil pressure sender and the 2 oil lines running into the oil tank (at the crimps between rubber and metal connectors) , seeing a clean piece of cardboard under the car after a good squirt is a very satisfying feeling...

P.s after factoring in postage from PP and drop in Aussie dollar, Just James was very helpful in supplying the oil lines...very competitive!

Hi Tit, 

Congratulations on the new addition to your family, Looks fantastic in white. 

I've been absent for a little while, so have only just read through your thread. Thanks for all the updates. 

My opinion on the wheels is keep the Cup wheels they suit the car perfectly. 

I wouldn't have a problem with suspension upgrades, because they would improve handling in line with what Porsche would approve. 

I had a giggle at your post on the antenna! My 3.2 has it in the RH fender too, and every time i get in and look at it, it irritates me! I will get around to removing mine, and if that means no radio, so be it. It's a crime to spoil those lines with a cheap antenna. 

Hi Norm. Thanks!

I fully agree on the antenna. Will have to tolerate it for now. Lots of other things on the lost before that!

I just finished having a re-read through uncles turbo'ing thread and consider mine rather dull! :P

Hi Tit,

Congratulations on the new addition to your family, Looks fantastic in white.

I've been absent for a little while, so have only just read through your thread. Thanks for all the updates.

My opinion on the wheels is keep the Cup wheels they suit the car perfectly.

I wouldn't have a problem with suspension upgrades, because they would improve handling in line with what Porsche would approve.

I had a giggle at your post on the antenna! My 3.2 has it in the RH fender too, and every time i get in and look at it, it irritates me! I will get around to removing mine, and if that means no radio, so be it. It's a crime to spoil those lines with a cheap antenna.

• 1 month later...

So...random updates...

Exhausts

So, I've been researching exhausts. Mainly because Hepkat kindly sold me a Steve Wong chip and I'll need a high-flow cat, or cat bypass, to make it of any use. Naturally as I look at exhausts online, I'm experiencing some scope creep.

I came across these interesting pics of the internals of stock 964 headers. They look rather good, I reckon!

( http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-964-993-technical-forum/607107-best-exhaust-engine-upgrades-964-a.html )

964_headers+0071304774681.jpg

964exhaustcutaway11304774729.jpg

964exhaustcutaway21304774770.jpg

Anyway, WRT the cats....I've read somewhere that 100 cel cats probably aren't legal in most states. Therefore, they are just as illegal as a cat bypass. I understand it also depends on the year of your car.

I'm still erring on getting a cat, mainly because of:

- a bit back-pressure for torque

- don't want hydrocarbon smell

- I'm not a total eco-villain

I've ALSO read somewhere on RL, in posts by Fabspeed staff, that they have intentionally not included tabs for heat-shields on their sport cats because they don't think there is enough heat put out. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Spoiler - the adventure continues!

JV911 kindly sold me his old decklid. I bought it mainly because I need the motor bits to get my wing to go up and down as it did from the factory...

When I got back from Sydney, I rushed to plug in the spoiler (while still attached to his old decklid). No luck :(. So over the next few days I'll start to trouble-shoot. I've checked the fuse, next up is the spoiler control unit under one of the seats. I'll probably go a bench-top refurb of the spoiler gear drive and motor as well. Hoping to get it working!

If anyone wants a 964 decklid without motor and spoiler wall, drop me a line.

Oil Leaks - getting close!

After tooling around with my valve covers to locate a niggly leak, we finally discovered that my oil pressure and temp sender unit is likely leaking. That little bugger is hidden under the intake plenum, so it took my super-sleuth mechanic to spot it with his torch before we realised we'd been looking in the wrong places for the leak. The cooling fan seemingly blows the oil down past the cylinders where it reveals itself along the valve covers.

Looks like:

(image from: http://boxsey.blogspot.com.au/2009/11/fixed-oil-sender-leak-mar-08.html )

P3281182.jpg

Power Steering

Now, this one is partially embarrassing....while fiddling around with the steering, we found that the bracket that supports the steering column was VERY loose. Duh! That's nice and tight now and the car is feeling a lot better.

Still, it's heavy below 50-ish kph, so JustJames has sent me a freddo-package, including PS pump belt and reseal kit (along with the gaskets for the oil temp sender).

Oh. And the bloody aircon dropped it's gas after only being re-gassed in January <_<. The car is spending this coming Wednesday up on the hoist, so I'm hoping those three issues will be resolved.

Upcoming plans

Once the PS and oil leak are sorted, I really only have the spring-plate bushes to do for the car to be 'squared away'.

That means I can get onto the fun stuff. I've started a bit of a stock-pile of goodies. So in the next six months I'll be investigating:

- ERP adjustable spring-plates

- putting in the SW chip

- sport cat

- pull out the amplifier and clean up the under-dash wiring and possibly putting in the OEM head-unit

- installing a cup-style CF heater-blower bypass

Finally

I'm still working on the PFA Tassie trip planning for Oct/Nov this year. This time round, the response has been modest. (Compared to the 24 interested PFA'ers when I surveyed last year) Are people still interested in this trip? At the moment it's looking like 3-4 cars.

Please click on the link in my signature to express your interest.

you've been busy!

I have a Fabspeed cat bypass on mine... and I wasn't prepared for the "smell"... but it looks nice and shiny and cool... 

I thought my powersteering was lacklustre so when I had the motor out, I put a new seal kit and belt in too... flushed out the fluid...

and when I refitted everything, it felt...... exactly the same.

As for the replacement fluid, I am using Penrite LDAS hydraulic fluid.. apparently it's the only commonly available fluid that complies with the specific requirements of a 964... or so they tell me.

So, the steering is still heavy on yours?

I've bought some fluid but can't remember which type. Made sure it was compliant. My clutch is heavy too, but it's tight, so I'm not sure that a bleed would make a difference.

you've been busy!

I have a Fabspeed cat bypass on mine... and I wasn't prepared for the "smell"... but it looks nice and shiny and cool...

I thought my powersteering was lacklustre so when I had the motor out, I put a new seal kit and belt in too... flushed out the fluid...

and when I refitted everything, it felt...... exactly the same.

As for the replacement fluid, I am using Penrite LDAS hydraulic fluid.. apparently it's the only commonly available fluid that complies with the specific requirements of a 964... or so they tell me.

If you can land a set of 993 headers they flow a lot better - you just have to turn the flanges to suit the 964 heads. I almost went this route before getting carried away

Steering is weighty but not too heavy

Once my wallet has been praised open, I'd probably look at a new set of headers like the fabspeed kits.  Not sure what they sound like, though.  I don't want it to be crazy loud.

SO....progress today!

I got lazy and handed the car over to my trusted mechanic.  He went after a few things.

1. Oil pressure sender leak.  He pulled out the whole assembly and replaced all of the seals.  I THINK that might be my last oil leak...for now...

i-bCNSmqD-X3.jpg

2. He got the PS pump out.  Found that there was a blockage in the fluid reservoir, which was interesting.  In the pic of the reservoir, you can see that the hose outlet is hanging open, but the reservoir is still half full...

There was also quite a bit of belt degradation, but obviously no slipping as it is a toothed belt.

i-b6F9n3W-X3.jpg

i-4N9FWz5-X3.jpg

i-h4Cvzhw-X3.jpg

3. He also located where my air-con leak is. On the compressor itself.  Thankfully, like the PS pump, it's a shared part with Mercedes' of that era.  He'll get the seals he needs through his network...and likely cheaper (yay).

ALSO....

My mum sent me these this morning....apparently I was keen on Porsches even when I was a little-snot-gobbler holidaying in South Africa...this was owned by an uncle of mine in Pretoria.

i-xzLbJrj.jpg

i-rBZMPN3.jpg

Yep! PS Seal kit going in today.

interesting on the reservoir... hopefully, that will be the cause of your lack of assistance.

I assume you'll get him to put a seal kit through the p/s pump while it's out too?

Once my wallet has been praised open, I'd probably look at a new set of headers like the fabspeed kits.  Not sure what they sound like, though.  I don't want it to be crazy loud.

SO....progress today!

I got lazy and handed the car over to my trusted mechanic.  He went after a few things.

1. Oil pressure sender leak.  He pulled out the whole assembly and replaced all of the seals.  I THINK that might be my last oil leak...for now...

i-bCNSmqD-X3.jpg

2. He got the PS pump out.  Found that there was a blockage in the fluid reservoir, which was interesting.  In the pic of the reservoir, you can see that the hose outlet is hanging open, but the reservoir is still half full...

There was also quite a bit of belt degradation, but obviously no slipping as it is a toothed belt.

i-b6F9n3W-X3.jpg

i-4N9FWz5-X3.jpg

i-h4Cvzhw-X3.jpg

3. He also located where my air-con leak is. On the compressor itself.  Thankfully, like the PS pump, it's a shared part with Mercedes' of that era.  He'll get the seals he needs through his network...and likely cheaper (yay).

ALSO....

My mum sent me these this morning....apparently I was keen on Porsches even when I was a little-snot-gobbler holidaying in South Africa...this was owned by an uncle of mine in Pretoria.

i-xzLbJrj.jpg

i-rBZMPN3.jpg

nice picture !

• 4 weeks later...

Nice drive you've got ahead of you.  Some good spots to stop for a coffee and food at Bright.  Looks like you're doing a stopover there?

That link was lifted from Turbo T's thread as I was on my phone for that post.

I'd continue to Bright, take the Tawonga Gap Rd to Mt Beauty, then head north to Tangambalanga.

Tawong Gap Rd is amazingly sensational.  Car, M/bike or cycle...

Good call!  Bright to Mt Beauty was a cracker.

The rest of it - Ho-hum.

I followed my phone's ridiculous navigation instructions out of Eltham, and ended up going through King Lake to Yea (paralleling the freeway).  Which was nice, but I lost a lot of time. 

Anyway, by the time I got to Tangambalanga, i realised it was 4:30pm and I was still in Victoria! I made for Albury and took the express route home...

Compared to the Cann River route I use, there's more towns and petrol stations in the Alpine area.  Though the Cann River route has similarly good roads, and almost no other traffic.  So that's still my pick, at least when going to Canberra (Because Cann River route goes through Cooma).

It was a pretty long day in the saddle.  The car didn't miss a beat.  I think it's probably happier for the 1800km of driving I put her through in the last 5 days.

Link: https://goo.gl/maps/NyXD6

i-KDN5xHm-XL.jpg

i-ZswtGG2-XL.jpg

As the N.E. is my spiritual home, and you're likely to have a first born, whom you will happily pass to me after this drive...

From Beechworth take Buckland Gap Rd heading towards Myrtleford, in the centre of Myrtleford turn left onto Myrtleford-Yackandandah Rd, in Mudgegonga turn right onto Carroll's Rd (smaller Rd not so easy to spot the turn!), take it to the end then turn left onto Happy Valley Rd. Head for Running Creek and turn right onto Kiewa Valley Hwy follow it towards Mt Beauty. Head for Falls Ck.  Coffee stop then back down to Tawonga (after Mt beauty) turn left onto the Tawonga Gap Rd, head for Bright.  2.5-3 hours approx. Fang it.

Have Lunch.

Deliver baby to me after your soon to be wife delivers it to you.