Tit-Wagon - 964C2

Tit

As the N.E. is my spiritual home, and you're likely to have a first born, whom you will happily pass to me after this drive...

From Beechworth take Buckland Gap Rd heading towards Myrtleford, in the centre of Myrtleford turn left onto Myrtleford-Yackandandah Rd, in Mudgegonga turn right onto Carroll's Rd (smaller Rd not so easy to spot the turn!), take it to the end then turn left onto Happy Valley Rd. Head for Running Creek and turn right onto Kiewa Valley Hwy follow it towards Mt Beauty. Head for Falls Ck.  Coffee stop then back down to Tawonga (after Mt beauty) turn left onto the Tawonga Gap Rd, head for Bright.  2.5-3 hours approx. Fang it.

Have Lunch.

Deliver baby to me after your soon to be wife delivers it to you.

haha excellent! Thank you very much for the detailed directions, looking forward to it!

Happy to pass on my first born when it arrives... expectations are high!

haha excellent! Thank you very much for the detailed directions, looking forward to it!

Happy to pass on my first born when it arrives... expectations are high!

I've obviously missed something...............congratulations..............I think.  :ph34r:  :D

I've obviously missed something...............congratulations..............I think.  :ph34r:  :D

No, no, nothing has been missed.

KGB is just very certain than I am going to love this drive so he is lay-buying my first born.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack Tit, talk of your drive through the Vic Alpine region spurred my Easter booking! 

• 2 months later...

In the last few weeks I've been driving the p-train a lot.  I have learned though, that after a day of driving the 964, I sometimes get cramps in my skinny noodle-like left calf muscle because the clutch is so damn heavy...

So.  I bought me one of these:

http://www.mpl-tuningparts.de/english/porsche.html

porsche_ges.jpg

i-KBFg6G5-L.jpg

...and spent a few hours under the beetle on Friday putting it in.  The system uses a few of the old parts.  Unfortunately, the dust boot was well-fooked.  So we found an old one from another car in his parts bin and jerry-rigged it up.The bleed process was a bit of pain, as the power bleeder didn't work.  It just pushed the fluid up through the over-flow and the old girl dribbled on the floor.  So we did it old-school, with me hand pumping the clutch pedal...

i-GqWxhqh-L.jpg

Initial reports are.....it sorta works.  It's definitely lighter.  Only draw-back is that I've lost a bit of the 'feel' for the friction point.  I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I've obtained some forum-sourced parts over the last few months. Mike kindly sold me his Fabspeed cat-bypass (I'm still planning to get a sport-cat, but this is a nice interim experiment).  Hepkat sold me a Steve Wong chip sometime last year and Russ salvaged a cup-pipe from his mechanic's parts clear-out.

Shiny...(yes...we put the cup-pipe fastening straps on)

i-MxzCkxv-L.jpg

i-fqgdnPm-L.jpg

Steve Wong...lets try you out:

i-nqZXQsH-L.jpg

i-P5WKRRL-L.jpg

AND?

WOAH!  Feels like my fly-wheel is half as light as before.  Car is far more eager to rev.  The cup-pipe is also more of a 'classic' 911 sound, where the G-Pipe was more like a lower, louder rumble.

When I first took it out, the Idle valve was a bit 'cranky', but I'll put a few km on it to get the old girl to settle down....

Between the clutch improvement and the cat/chip combo, the car is one step closer to the goal.  Nice!

Oh yeah...my mate just got back from Germany and brought me this to add to the collection! :D

i-ndrBcCz-L.jpg

Tit car swap for a morning?

Yes. Let's do it...

More baby swapping?!

Hey...last time you two got together I couldn't resist:

i-XWncXkb-1888x2552.jpg

Reminded me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1huYsSOYlVo

• 2 weeks later...

Steve Wong...lets try you out:

WOAH!  Feels like my fly-wheel is half as light as before.  Car is far more eager to rev.  The cup-pipe is also more of a 'classic' 911 sound, where the G-Pipe was more like a lower, louder rumble.

I've heard this about the Cup Pipe sound over the G Pipe before.

Glad to hear you agree after first hand experience.

Although I do love the sound of my G Pipe, the classic 911 sound is what we are chasing so I might start the investigation.

Do you mind sharing what you paid for said Cup pipe so i can get an idea? 

Yeah. When we were putting the cup pipe, my mechanic was convinced it was going to be crazy loud. Turned out it was a bit quieter than the g-pipe.

G-pipe is almost v8-ish. Lower. Rumblier. Definitely a nice sound. My grumpy neighbour didn't think so, though :P

I've read he g-pipe is better for torque, which I'd prefer.

Price? $200something. I bought this one cheap through Russ and TD Auto (I think they're all gone now though?).

I've heard this about the Cup Pipe sound over the G Pipe before.

Glad to hear you agree after first hand experience.

Although I do love the sound of my G Pipe, the classic 911 sound is what we are chasing so I might start the investigation.

Do you mind sharing what you paid for said Cup pipe so i can get an idea?

Do you have a lightweight flywheel or are the mods just the chip and exhaust?

If not already upgraded have you thought about a revised air intake.  Apparently these help although I do read mixed reports.

Thanks for the updates - it helps me work out how I'm going to mod my 964.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry. Didn't see your post.

No LWF. I had the flywheel replaced during the top end work and chickened out on reports of easy stalling etc. I didn't know the car back then. I'd try the LWF this time around...

It's just exhaust and chip. I am interested in this kit though:

http://twinkam.co.uk/epages/191f6b26-60bf-483c-b021-755a0c9099c1.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/191f6b26-60bf-483c-b021-755a0c9099c1/Products/SC300

I'm more focused on the steering and suspension now. But the piggy bank isn't up to it at the moment ($4k of repairs on my mk6 golf next week!).

Do you have a lightweight flywheel or are the mods just the chip and exhaust?

If not already upgraded have you thought about a revised air intake. Apparently these help although I do read mixed reports.

Thanks for the updates - it helps me work out how I'm going to mod my 964.

• 2 months later...

So, the steering rack has been rebuilt!!!

AAAANDDD

...SUCCESS!!! :D :D:D

The steering is far lighter now. It's a pleasure to drive!  The techs were saying that some of the seals had totally failed. The system was holding zero pressure but it was still closed (ie. no leaks).

I also put the cat back in, because the wife could smell the stink upstairs at the other end of the house when I left in the mornings.  The cat-delete pipe has been repatriated to Queensland... :P

This is my only lame photo of the momentous repair to the steering rack:

(I guess she could do with a wash under there...)

i-SVX9SQ3-XL.jpg

Next two projects....new spring plates (935 style, probably), and obtain a spoiler control module to see if I can get the spoiler to work.

Edited by Tit

• 3 weeks later...

October must be wedding season. Two bucks parties and two weddings in three weeks!  In fact, I'm off to one right now!

The first bucks party started out on Sutton Skid Pan in Canberra.

I'm no Keiichi Tsuchiya, so I spent a lot of time facing the wrong direction.  This car is pretty much all-grip, right up till the pirouette starts!  After I while I got the hang of it.  Never really above 30% throttle and surprisingly little steering input, the key seemed to be gentle and progressive.

i-9FftsQS-X2.jpg

i-Gdj7T44-X2.jpgi-f7hmGGj-X2.jpg

Need to sort out that bumper frown! :P

i-G5frVrQ-X2.jpg

Edited by Tit

October must be wedding season. Two bucks parties and two weddings in three weeks!  In fact, I'm off to one right now!

The first bucks party started out on Sutton Skid Pan in Canberra.

I'm no Keiichi Tsuchiya, so I spent a lot of time facing the wrong direction.  This car is pretty much all-grip, right up till the pirouette starts!  After I while I got the hang of it.  Never really above 30% throttle and surprisingly little steering input, the key seemed to be gentle and progressive.

i-Gdj7T44-X2.jpg

Need to sort out that bumper frown! :P

When I see people doing this it really makes me wish I had a C2 instead of a C4. Not the same in a C4:(

When I see people doing this it really makes me wish I had a C2 instead of a C4. Not the same in a C4:(

You could skid pan a c4! There were two Navaras going around from our group!

• 3 weeks later...

Some last-moment Tassie prep!

Insurance

First-up, I spent the morning calling insurers to get my agreed value up a bit.  As usual, Shannons came in with an obscene premium so I moved on.   The Shannons guy blamed my post-code for the bad pricing. :huh:

Two of the other companies I called were aware of the insurance thread on this forum! :lol:

Joe from Porsche Insurance mentioned it to me when he asked how I found out about them.  Then the guy from Rhyno Insurance said so too.  Told me he was sitting there with his Porsche shirt on, surrounded by Porsche models.  He knew some people here (ahem, Dreamr) had been talking them up. He seemed to know his stuff, but the quote was similar to Shannon's (twice what I'm paying at the moment). I am going over his PDS at the moment, though.

Joe from Porsche got back to me but I missed him before COB, so I'll chase that down as soon as I can.

Finally, my current insurer Lumleys, agreed to raise the agreed value for minimal extra cost. So I went with that as a back-stop.  I'll take that challenge up again when I get some spare time.

Tires

The wife took the car out last weekend and somehow impaled the rear drivers-side tire like it was a vampire - with a wooden stake!

i-Gbj46CB-L.jpg

I did a bit of man-maths and thought, well, that's both back tires.  I don't really like these Bridgestones, so now's opportunity to put what I want on all-four corners - Michelin PS2's!  (They don't do PSS in 17's! :( )

So, using the wife's embarrassment as a bit of cheeky leverage, off I went to spend more money than I needed to:

i-VDjHxzC-L.jpg

Woop!

I called my regular alignment guy, Aaron, at about lunch-time and asked how he felt about a bit of last-minute work.  A deal involving beer was struck and I headed over...to fit my shiny new ERP spring-plates - 935 style! :D  I thought about attempting this in my garage, but I assumed they'd be torqued to blazes and I didn't' fancy squashing my face...

I bought the boots as well (they should be included, but obviously the vendor can make a little more coin if they sell them separately...)

Old plates come off...

i-ppXF5S2-L.jpg

Protective boots going on to protect the monoball..

i-B6VqB5k-L.jpg

i-z7n8wMR-L.jpg

...yeah, these old ones were screwed!

i-32WDXw2-L.jpg

So the passenger side one was relatively easy.  

i-Q6MNgCm-L.jpg

i-JgfQ3bT-L.jpg'

The driver's side was more difficult.  It must have been tightened by the devil himself. And to make things a bit more challenging, Ferry put a gearbox in our way.  We unbolted the gearbox mount and supported the box. Then we slightly levered it aside to make just enough room.  We bent one of the tools trying to undo that fella...

i-4cdMpfK-L.jpg

There was a bit of breaker-bar action...

i-WkNbtfw-L.jpg

AND THEN....I stopped taking photos to go buy beer... :P

So yeah, I'm happy I didn't try it in the garage.

I got another alignment, front and rear.  I set the ERP plates slotted-side down so that I kept it at about -1.2 degrees negative camber at the back.  Slotted side up goes to about -3 degrees.  If anyone is considering the ERP's, these ones move the toe adjustment to the splines at the top.  Camber is done on the bolts.

In the front, I had the car at RS specs which call for a little toe-in, but I got Aaron to bring the toe to neutral.  Actually, I asked for a bit of toe-out, but he talked me out of it.... 

How does it feel? Umm....tires are quieter.  Rear is less 'sloppy' (it's subtle) and the front turn-in is improved, but not as alert as I'd like it.  I'm used to daily-driving a JCW mini with -2 deg at the front with slight toe out and a thicker rear-sway bar.  That mini could probably turn up it's own backside if I tried... :P

Anyway...the P-train is as good as I can get it for now in preparation for Tassie.

Oh! That's tomorrow!! I better go pack! :D

PS: Any Canberrans, I can highly recommend Aaron at Craig Hall Mechanical for both spanner-spinning and alignments. 

Edited by Tit