The Putty Road

mockney999

Hi everyone, I hope you all had a good opportunity to put some Kms on your cars this weekend?.

It was reccommended by a friend of mine at work to try out the Putty Road at the weekend. So I invited my girlfriend and on Sunday off we went. (Saturday was spent sleeping off my hangovefrom my work xmas doo on Friday).

I have to say it was a lot of fun, good quality roads for the most part and plenty of twists and turns so plenty of opportunities to put your foot down coming out of the corners, great fun... Although on a few occasions I did almost regret asking my girlfriend along as she's quite a vocal passenger... she would be perfect for a job in road saftey, she is certianly my onboard foot brake :-).

Not much in the way of decent cafe stops unless you want to hang out with all the bikies in leather so we ended up going for a nice spot of lunch at a winery in the Hunter Valley.

All in all a great day out in the car, great weather, good roads and a nice spot of lunch to finish it off.

Tonight the car is going to get a well deserved clean and polish...

Nice one Clutch!

Always a good run up the Putty Road.  Nothing to fear at the Grey Gums Cafe either.....PCNSW stopped in there a couple of months ago with more than 40 cars.  No problems with the bikers.

Yea, I used to run a Ducati999s (all black) back in blighty so I am quite used to hanging out with bikies, but my girlfriend decided lunch with wine at the hunter valley was more preferable :-)

Caver... sorry I missed the meet on the 4th, a few issues with work meant I was unable to attend, but next time for definite I would really like to come along.

Caver... sorry I missed the meet on the 4th, a few issues with work meant I was unable to attend, but next time for definite I would really like to come along.

No worries....have a look for the thread about the Southern Highlands SMT on January, 11th.

• 3 months later...

Not much in the way of decent cafe stops unless you want to hang out with all the bikies in leather so we ended up going for a nice spot of lunch at a winery in the Hunter Valley.

You better watch what you say about bikers (not bikies) as including me, there are a few here. :) If guys like you dont like bikers, then just keep on going! we all use that road for the same purpose, to flog our cars and bikes on, so you might be suprised if you talk to one of those "bikies", you will have more in comon than you think!!

The grey Gums caffee is a great stop along the putty, and if your into weird and wonderfull people, the old halfway house is a bit of fun as well. They both serve good food and coffe , especially the grey gums.

I live 2 km off the putty rd at east kurrajong, and its my favorite local fang road. If you go on weekends, watch out for cops as they hammer that road, but mid week, you can have your own grand prix on that road,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Did a trip down to Sydney a while back in my old 930 - did Brisbane to Hunter Valley one day and then into Sydney the next, via Putty Road.  Was recommended by some rock climbing friends who said I'd love it in the Porsche.  Did it on a Tuesday morning and pretty much just drove to the road conditions flat out.  It was SO AWESOME.   I LOVE LOVE LOVE that road :D

During 2013 also did it the other way with the PC NSW.  Stopped at that place raafrebel mentioned and it was great too.  Then on to the Hunter for PC lunch.  It was a fabulous day and the old 930 didn't disappoint. 

Hopefully I'll get down there soon in the new car.   Yeah, totally rate Putty Road as one of Australia's best drives. 

• 1 year later...

Did the Putty on my bike this week, noticed they've resurfaced some the last parts with all the curvy bits.

It was great fun, during the week is the best no traffic whatsoever :)

• 1 month later...

Did this road late yesterday afternoon heading north, it was perfect, the road works look to be completed apart from marking the lines on the road and it is asphalt not the horrible gravel over tar finish. Had the road mostly to ourselves, it is a great road and even after a long day in the car it was awesome.

I have a set of wider wheels on my car now and i think this provided me with a bit more grip in my 944 as some of the corners i was able to take a bit harder than i remember.

Did this road late yesterday afternoon heading north, it was perfect, the road works look to be completed apart from marking the lines on the road and it is asphalt not the horrible gravel over tar finish. Had the road mostly to ourselves, it is a great road and even after a long day in the car it was awesome.

I have a set of wider wheels on my car now and i think this provided me with a bit more grip in my 944 as some of the corners i was able to take a bit harder than i remember.

eother your tyres have grown or your plums have grown. Either way,  good news.

• 7 months later...

Be careful if you are out on this road in the next few months, too many motorcycle deaths have prompted a massive crackdown on this road and some other great driving roads in the Hunter region, unmarked cars and also helicopters and planes will patrolling heavily.

Be careful if you are out on this road in the next few months, too many motorcycle deaths have prompted a massive crackdown on this road and some other great driving roads in the Hunter region, unmarked cars and also helicopters and planes will patrolling heavily.

Four months!!!!

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4261999/lives-on-the-line-police-aim-to-turn-the-corner-on-bike-deaths/

I love how the article suggests that plod is clamping down on the road to save lives...by using unmarked cars and "vehicles not normally associated with highway patrol".

In the dim and distant past, I seem to remember highway patrol cops being slightly more human and more often than not, car enthusiasts. Yes, I'm aging. 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've got a couple of days off work, i really only work 3 days a week, so i decided i felt like some time on my own after the recent death of my Dad.

What better way to do it than a blat in the turbo. Putty road was the choice even though the day was going to be very warm out west and i have no A/C at the moment.

I must have timed my run perfectly because i had the road to myself on the way down from the Milbrodale end. After the main twisty section i passed a hwy patrol that looked like he was having more fun than i just had.

The Putty is a fun road but after doing the Oxley Hwy a few weeks ago, it felt very short in the twisty section but i still had a bit of fun and got my drive fix for a few more weeks, if i can last that long:D

rjoQO1W.jpg

0iIxBic.jpg

tOryvze.jpg

Sa57j9j.jpg

6FaPQQR.jpg

Sorry to hear about your Dad, Stephen.

Next time you are thinking of doing this, gimme a holla....I could drive from my end and we could meet for a cuppa at the halfway house, and turn around to go home.

Archived