968 Turbo RS anyone?

Pauly

Sorry, I find the sellers second comments amusing. All the comments were made before you even posted, they weren't directed at you personally or even for your benefit so you don't need to thank anyone, or be offended by them. Nobody made any very negative comments.

I personally think your car is overpriced but that doesn't mean I don't think it's a nice car. The reason I personally wouldn't buy it if I was looking to have a Turbo 968 is simply that I don't place particular value on factory parts just because they are 'genuine' when there are better engineered aftermarket parts available these days, or do I care much about the 'historical' value of something built by Fitzgeralds just because he has an established name in Australia. But then I'm not a purist, and I think that the 944/968 series is not a purists car anyway. Bottom line is I'm confident that I could personally build a faster car that handles better for much less money starting with any good 968. 

No, I'm not jealous of your car, and it has nothing to do with not being able to afford it. That's just my opinion, but it doesn't mean I don't wish you good luck with your sale. 

Lets get back to basics.  Its a 968 CS M 030.  Will always be.  Great start. 

Its then been given the treatment using only the right bits and now its a daily driver that can blow most things into the weeds in the right context.

It comes down to what you're looking for in a car.  Want something special with a whole lot more then this car is it.  I've built a lot of cars (well ... paid to have that done truth be told) and 45K would not even get close on top of the car price.

At 79K its reasonable.  Yes, it has a limited audience but I think that its not well understood.  If you take it for what it is, its a whole lot of car. 

Would I buy it?  Yes.  Can I? No, as I would be required to leave the marital home given I didnt tell Her about the last 2 cars I bought until they arrived ...

I know a relative of the former owner of the WA (now NSW) car - I know that thing was a weapon but as Simon said its lived a hard life. Maybe into the wall at some stage if I remember correctly. Maybe stacked and fixed a few times?

By contrast, I've seen the RSR one at his garage last year and it's shmick. I really like it. Did have to chuckle when it was listed over 100k (started at 113k I think). Can understand why rob might be a bit testy when people now challenge the price at 79k (oh hang on, it's now 75k...!)

I've always loved the CS - You could buy John Bowes white one for 50k but could you achieve the same as the black one for the extra 25k? Possibly but couldn't be bothered with trial and error, tuning, testing and development. And there is something cool about mimicking the factory setup rather than aftermarket, even if things have moved on.

Having said all of that, to me its a very nice car but like simon can't bring myself to buy it. Maybe it's the small market and Risk of getting stuck with it. Something breaks, can bits be sourced. Etc. At 60k with the Fuchs, I'd be interested but that would probably be offensive. Rob, how about a swap for a clean 964 C2 with RS bits perhaps.....and a buy back clause when it's time to move on to a $100k 997 GT3...? Sorry, not helping....

There's a unique cars article by john bowe test driving the falken car.

http://www.uniquecarsmag.com.au/news-and-reviews/article/articleid/82389.aspx

I know a relative of the former owner of the WA (now NSW) car - I know that thing was a weapon but as Simon said its lived a hard life. Maybe into the wall at some stage if I remember correctly. Maybe stacked and fixed a few times?]

Here's a brief summary as it was related to me when I nearly bought it at the change from first ownership

Targa event crashed new roof

I decided not buy it

In the hands of the second owner

Targa event crashed off road major body repairs and as I recall another roof but might be wrong there.

I looked at it again and decided not to buy it

Third owner

Classic rally event crashed into kerb at speed major underbody repairs (rails bent)

Techno wheel destroyed.

Front upright stuffed

Unsatisfactory underbody repair required second attempt at repairs

By this time I had wised up and didn't even consider it

It's had a life to say the least, even without including its comprehensive competition usage. It's been, as they say in the trade, rolled, bowled and ar-ehol-d.

The RSR car is a good car in contrast. Someone should buy the thing. You could not build this car for $40/50,000, even if you could find the bits which I doubt you could nowadays. You won't find a base M30 for less than $50,000 if John Bowes is any indication, and where will you find a low km black one? I hope it finds a good home, and not with someone I compete against because it would be a weapon.

• 1 year later...

"By this time I had wised up and didn't even consider it"

Perhaps you should have    The fourth owner of the "WA" car, to his credit, spent a lot of $ sorting out lots of issues with neglected maintenance in the past.  I  checked out the car last year when it was at CTS and thought it was overpriced, then I read the posts on this forum and ran away, then recently I checked out the car again when the price dropped significantly, then I re-read these (and other posts) again, thought long and hard and...... bought it.

I drove it back from Sydney this week and had a blast.  It drove like a near new car with exception of a gearbox/diff whine that appeared after 600K but was easily fixed with fresh oil  I've had it up on my hoist twice now and can't see any evidence of dodgy repairs or an excessively hard life, so it's either been well repaired or the victim of many pub rumours.

The rails are straight, doors all shut as they should, panels are straight, it doesn't turn corners on its own, doesn't leak or use a drop of oil, amazing fuel economy on a long run, and reasonably comfortable considering the suspension.  It may well have had the hard life others claim but it all comes down to the condition today, not in the past.  

Rob's car is an excellent example and worth what he's asking for it (but of course I'd say that now).  Yes I paid less but good luck finding another one at that price, in any condition.  968 CS values are on the rise world wide, and Fitzy's "replica" RS Turbo's can only increase in value in my opinion.  Time will tell.

....oh and did I mention it goes like scalded (black) cat? 

post-1181-0-00956000-1427450950_thumb.jp

Congrats on the purchase of what IMO is an awesome car. I can only assume you have bought it back to Victoria ? I hope so as I would love to see her in the flesh one day. In the mean time more pics would be great :)

Welcome to the forum. Many 924/944/968 lovers here

Did I mention more pics ??? ;)

That's great to hear and I'm sure Fitzy and the guys would have been grining ear to ear seeing her again. Personally I can't wait to see her, so am glad you are on board here and hopefully I will get that opportunity soon. BTW Did I mention pics, pics, and more pics please lol

Ossie

Congratulations

I hope you enjoy the car.

I can assure you that all I wrote is correct.

If you need the names of the previous owners, to check the accident history or otherwise, pm me and I will help you.

My mechanic in WA serviced it for years, and hes available too.

Its had a life, but sometimes those cars have a personality and it all works out. Looks like thats the case here.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Peter Fitzgerald has a red CS in his workshop now that's getting the full RS Turbo treatment, I assume that's the one Mark is referring to.  Peter told me how much it's costing, eye wateringly expensive - lets just say either of the black ones above definitely represented great value by comparison to building your own.  

A little birdy told me that one of those black ones has since been written off?  Hopefully driver was OK, hopefully it wasn't the mint one RSR sold.

Edited by DJM

• 1 month later...

A little birdy told me that one of those black ones has since been written off?  Hopefully driver was OK, hopefully it wasn't the mint one RSR sold.

Sorry I hadn't been checking this thread.  No the little birdy was wrong and no it wasn't the car sold by RSR (#3).  But yes the black 968 Turbo RS I own (#4) was involved in an accident a few months back when a rear tyre blew and it attempted to push a truck out of the way.  So a relatively low speed collision with a solid object made a bit of a mess of the car.  But no it's not written off and yes I am OK (thanks for asking). 

It has now been stripped back to a bare shell and is currently being repaired and rebuilt back to original specs.  This was long overdue as it had some alignment issues from a previous track "off" in WA that caused damage to the right front strut and chassis rail which were not repaired properly (in my opinion).  It also had an accident back in 1997 on the Targa Tassie which left filler in too many places for my liking.  So I'm taking my time to make sure everything is done correctly this time and using new parts wherever possible. 

The gearbox has now been rebuilt (for an eye watering cost) as it was whining and the suspension is being refurbished as we speak.  The engine is also being checked over but that all appears in good order.  I expect to have the car back on the road early next year and it should be as good as it was when it left Fitzy's factory in 96.

I also purchased a 968 CS "project" car a few months ago which I was considering using as a donor to repair mine, but it turned out to be a lot better than I expected so will be restored when the RS is finished.  No it's not for sale currently and the way CS prices are going up it won't be any time soon!

Hope that clears up all the rumours. 

RS stripped.jpg

Glad to hear you and the car survived.  is your car the one that sold at CTS not so long ago, ex WA, perhaps this car?  If so I know a guy whose father in law used to own it.  Has quite the collection in WA. Might be him driving here, not sure.  Sounds like you know the history anyway.

Glad to hear you and the car survived.  is your car the one that sold at CTS not so long ago, ex WA, perhaps this car?  If so I know a guy whose father in law used to own it.  Has quite the collection in WA. Might be him driving here, not sure.  Sounds like you know the history anyway.

Yes it was for sale at CTS last year but I purchased it privately from the 4th owner who lived in NSW. He only kept it for a couple of years and prior to that it lived in WA all it's life.  It was raced consistently in events throughout Australia including at Targa West, Bathurst and Targa Tassie, and won the outright WA Club Championship in 2009 beating many GT3’s and light weight 911’s.  It's the 3rd owner in the video driving the car.

I have spoken with all the previous owners and documented the history as best I can. There's some more info and videos of the 4 Fitzgerald cars here: www.turbors.com.

• 1 year later...

It's been awhile since I updated the progress on the rebuild of the 968 Turbo RS (Fitzgerald #4) mentioned in the previous posts so thought I'd provide this for anyone who's interested. 

This project has progressed steadily over the past year, changing from a repair into a full restoration as these things tend to do. The car has had a complete chassis realignment, body repaired where needed, and now repainted back to original colour.  The motor including turbo has been stripped, checked and rebuilt, likewise the gearbox, front and rear suspension, steering rack, exhaust system, Tecno Magnesium wheels (not shown), replacement of all rubber seals, panel clips, parts of the wiring loom, etc.....  pretty much everything that needed to be repaired or refurbished has been done.

It's now ready for reassembly which I expect will take some months to complete.  Here's some photos for anyone who's interested.

20161108_130604 (Medium) (Small).jpg

1.jpg3.jpg8.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

Edited by Ossie

I still rue the day I passed on RSR's black one at mid 70s..my 964C2 was not worth enough as a swap ?  Now a 968CS is $90k.....apparently

I like 968s and I have a penchant for Turbos.  Rarest of all RS models.

keep us posted, love to see it all back together better than ever.  Happy to take it off your hands for $75k when complete ?

I still rue the day I passed on RSR's black one at mid 70s..my 964C2 was not worth enough as a swap ?  Now a 968CS is $90k.....apparently

I like 968s and I have a penchant for Turbos.  Rarest of all RS models.

keep us posted, love to see it all back together better than ever.  Happy to take it off your hands for $75k when complete ?

Yes would have been a good buy then for the RSR car, was in better condition than mine. I noticed when it was sold again later the owner had fitted normal seats front and rear which was a bit strange...   If you weren't aware one of the factory 968 Turbo RS's is for sale currently, see http://www.gmundcars.com/cars/4068/Porsche_968_Turbo_RS.  The were asking 750,000 EUR for it I believe!!!!!!

Edited by Ossie
Spellink

• 4 months later...

A number of people have asked me how the restoration of "number 4" is progressing so I've put together a short video.  See https://youtu.be/IsJKzcFpsFU.  Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing Ossie. It was great to hear a bit more on the history of this car and what you have planned for it. Should be a nice reliable package for you once the restoration is complete! Keep us posted on the progress. :D 

Thanks, it's been satisfying to restore the car but I am a bit over it now as it has taken so much of my time and I have other projects waiting.  This includes a 968 CS and a very early manual 968 (1991 press car), both of which I purchased as donors for the RS but decided not to use once prices of 968's started to rise.  Next car I'm working on is a 67 Lancia Fulvia Sport Zagato with an alloy body.

Yes it will be road registered again.  I would put on a club permit it if I could but it's not eligible until 2020.