Jump to content
Pauly

968 Turbo RS anyone?

Recommended Posts

Another secret 968 under the cover by any chance........?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another secret 968 under the cover by any chance........?

Nah, 930 in disguise.

 

Edited by Ossie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone is interested the other black 968 Turbo RS has appeared on carsales today.  Asking price is $130K.  This is #2 of the 4 original cars Fitzgeralds built in the 1990's, but not to be confused with #4 discussed previously in this thread (my car).

See https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-968-1993/SSE-AD-5641887/?Cr=2

This was considered the best of the 4 cars because of it's originality and relatively low miles.  Current owner has swapped out the CS seats but has the originals. 

Be quick if you're interested as mine attracted considerable interest from overseas when it was last up for sale.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2018 at 5:57 PM, Ossie said:

If anyone is interested the other black 968 Turbo RS has appeared on carsales today.  Asking price is $130K.  This is #2 of the 4 original cars Fitzgeralds built in the 1990's, but not to be confused with #4 discussed previously in this thread (my car).

See https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-968-1993/SSE-AD-5641887/?Cr=2

This was considered the best of the 4 cars because of it's originality and relatively low miles.  Current owner has swapped out the CS seats but has the originals. 

Be quick if you're interested as mine attracted considerable interest from overseas when it was last up for sale.

 

Group buy anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TINGY944 said:

Group buy anyone?

I'm in so long as it is shared between Brisbane and Newcastle Tingy. :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Genuinely interested in this car but is it really with the asking ? I know a CS has gone through the roof but someone tell me something to convince me of the cars value. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mick said:

Genuinely interested in this car but is it really with the asking ? I know a CS has gone through the roof but someone tell me something to convince me of the cars value. 

Take it for a drive? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ad says no offers or test drives? Makes it hard to deal with the seller by the sounds love the car just not sure if it’s value. Already own a 996.2 gt3 and 930 and thought this would be another great addition without having more of the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mick said:

Ad says no offers or test drives? Makes it hard to deal with the seller by the sounds love the car just not sure if it’s value. Already own a 996.2 gt3 and 930 and thought this would be another great addition without having more of the same. 

You would like to think if you turned up in either car you’d qualify for a test drive? Price does seem steep, I’m sure it’s a great drive though. 

Do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was offered close to that for mine from a person in NZ a couple of months back who was following my restoration.  I'm not selling by the way, it was just a discussion. 

They really are an awesome car, best combination of handling and power from any of the transaxle models, and many 911's until recently.  Only criticism is the ride which is very hard on the road.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10 September 2018 at 9:33 PM, Mick said:

Genuinely interested in this car but is it really with the asking ? I know a CS has gone through the roof but someone tell me something to convince me of the cars value. 

 

On 7 February 2014 at 8:23 PM, DJM said:

I know a relative of the former owner of the WA (now NSW) car - I know that thing was a weapon but as Simon said its lived a hard life. Maybe into the wall at some stage if I remember correctly. Maybe stacked and fixed a few times?

 

By contrast, I've seen the RSR one at his garage last year and it's shmick. I really like it. Did have to chuckle when it was listed over 100k (started at 113k I think). Can understand why rob might be a bit testy when people now challenge the price at 79k (oh hang on, it's now 75k...!)

 

I've always loved the CS - You could buy John Bowes white one for 50k but could you achieve the same as the black one for the extra 25k? Possibly but couldn't be bothered with trial and error, tuning, testing and development. And there is something cool about mimicking the factory setup rather than aftermarket, even if things have moved on.

 

Having said all of that, to me its a very nice car but like simon can't bring myself to buy it. Maybe it's the small market and Risk of getting stuck with it. Something breaks, can bits be sourced. Etc. At 60k with the Fuchs, I'd be interested but that would probably be offensive. Rob, how about a swap for a clean 964 C2 with RS bits perhaps.....and a buy back clause when it's time to move on to a $100k 997 GT3...? Sorry, not helping....

 

There's a unique cars article by john bowe test driving the falken car.

 

http://www.uniquecarsmag.com.au/news-and-reviews/article/articleid/82389.aspx

I assume it's this car ^^ back again.  Rob had it at $113k in 2014 and fell all the way to $75k before selling (maybe to the current owner?). I liked it but.......baulked.

No question they have rocketed in value since with CS into 80s and 90s (45 - 50k back then)

as for the ad and "there will be no more", I know Peter was building a red one for a customer a couple of years back when I was visiting his workshop regularly.  But he did say it was eye wateringly expensive to build (AFTER you spend $85k on a CS!).  But when a GT3 is 130-150k, it's hard to see a 130k 968 as good value. 

Needs a half cage and original Recaros and ditch that beige leather 4 seat interior, doesn't "fit" at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DJM said:

 

I assume it's this car ^^ back again.  Rob had it at $113k in 2014 and fell all the way to $75k before selling (maybe to the current owner?). I liked it but.......baulked.

No question they have rocketed in value since with CS into 80s and 90s (45 - 50k back then)

as for the ad and "there will be no more", I know Peter was building a red one for a customer a couple of years back when I was visiting his workshop regularly.  But he did say it was eye wateringly expensive to build (AFTER you spend $85k on a CS!).  But when a GT3 is 130-150k, it's hard to see a 130k 968 as good value. 

Needs a half cage and original Recaros and ditch that beige leather 4 seat interior, doesn't "fit" at all.

I believe it’s got the cage and seats with it, but I drew the same line in regards to 996 gt3 values atm. If they are sitting on the market @ 150k  then I can’t see this being that close to it in value? 100-110 think I’d be all over it by now but 130k my gut just says to much and still have to say it’s a replica even tho it’s as good as the factory ones anyway but nevertheless it’s been made post factory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Just a random question here

 Are the 968's that much of a better car to a later 944 to command such premium prices? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on what floats your boat. If you want outright straight line performance then a later 944 Turbo will be quicker, but the CS definitely feels lighter and has loads more low down torque.  

But if you're talking about values then the 968 CS will be more collectable because of the rarity, although you could argue a 944 Turbo S Silver Rose would be up there.  Or if you want to go all out you can pay a *lot* more for a 968 Turbo or Turbo RS, 944 Turbo Cup, 924 Carrera GT or GTS.  

I've sunk my $ into several of the above over the past few years because I do think these rarer transaxle models from the 80's and 90's are underrated and overshadowed by 911 mania. But fundamentally it was also because the transaxle models are great cars to drive from that era of Porsche production (but I did also add a 930 just in case I am wrong!)

In terms of looks I find myself always admiring the front of the 924 Carrera GT and the rear of the 968's.  The 944 Turbo.... not so much.

I terms of driving I enjoy driving the Carrera GT the most as it just feels so light, nimble and the engine revs much more freely (reminds me of an mid 90's WRX).  In comparison the 968 Turbo RS is scary fast, the 944 Turbo feels heavy, and the 968 CS more like the Carrera GT but less smiles....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys , that is the only owner since Rob sold the car , it's a great car to drive as I shared the drive to Rennsport 2013 & back to Melbourne with Rob !  maybe self interest as  own the #1 Falken  Fitzy car & also the last #5 Red car that Fitzy built 18 months ago !  And you could not build one for the asking price !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18 September 2018 at 4:35 PM, craiggt3rs said:

Hi guys , that is the only owner since Rob sold the car , it's a great car to drive as I shared the drive to Rennsport 2013 & back to Melbourne with Rob !  maybe self interest as  own the #1 Falken  Fitzy car & also the last #5 Red car that Fitzy built 18 months ago !  And you could not build one for the asking price !!

As I mentioned above I saw the red car being built by Peter.  Any idea what the conversion cost was.  Peter told me "a lot".  I assume $50k or more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×