Cosmetic update to my 987 yes or no?

withers

I like those, might gets some myself, although I'm not a fan of the decals - just my opinion.

Do agree that SunCoast charge a fortune for shipping. I purchased a indoor cover from them back in March & used ComGateway.com as the international shipper.

Always been please with their service with other products bought in the US - does take awhile longer though.

Amanda, for what its worth add 20c to the discussion.

I was seriously thinking of facelifting my 997.1 recently but others here helped me to realise that there's no real upside of making my car something that it isnt. So I decided against it.

Truth be told, I look at the myriad of aftermarket and upgrades for our great cars and I get all excited. But the counterpoint is that a totally original car like Stuttgart intended is perfect, and certainly what future owners want.

So, in summary.....keep her as her maker intended, your beautiful car is already lovely.

Amanda, for what its worth add 20c to the discussion.

I was seriously thinking of facelifting my 997.1 recently but others here helped me to realise that there's no real upside of making my car something that it isnt. So I decided against it.

Truth be told, I look at the myriad of aftermarket and upgrades for our great cars and I get all excited. But the counterpoint is that a totally original car like Stuttgart intended is perfect, and certainly what future owners want.

So, in summary.....keep her as her maker intended, your beautiful car is already lovely.

I agree with Hounddub.

You have a clean original looking car. You don't need stickers or stick on carbon bits to make it look better, or to add to the driving experience. It looks great as it is, and drives great as well. 

Go and drive the car and enjoy it, if you need to spend some money, get some driving instruction or get better tyres - both will reward far more than some stick on additions...

Cheers guys......Its just some fun at the end of the day :)  and something I've been thinking about for a while!  I was looking for something low cost, easily reversible and this idea fits that.  I'm not really onboard with the carbon fiber add ons, its too expensive.  I like the idea of having the existing air intakes painted black to freshen them up and also need to do my brake calipers in black (original color) to freshen them up.

I have paid up to do the first level advanced driving with Porsche, and will be booking a date when they release the calender for 2014. I had to postpone it in 2013 because I tore a tendon in my leg and wasn't able to fully depress the clutch at the time!

Cheers guys......Its just some fun at the end of the day :)  and something I've been thinking about for a while!  I was looking for something low cost, easily reversible and this idea fits that.  I'm not really onboard with the carbon fiber add ons, its too expensive.  I like the idea of having the existing air intakes painted black to freshen them up and also need to do my brake calipers in black (original color) to freshen them up.

I have paid up to do the first level advanced driving with Porsche, and will be booking a date when they release the calender for 2014. I had to postpone it in 2013 because I tore a tendon in my leg and wasn't able to fully depress the clutch at the time!

Amanda,

I did the Level 2 day in November and it was a blast. I was able to skip level 1 and go straight to level 2 basically from doing a couple of days with these guys, www.driverdynamics.com There is another day coming up on the 2/3 and the costs are around 350-450 for the day. I did my first run with these guys back in June last year in the 991 and it was a blast. You can have an instructor with you as long as you like and its a controlled 10 cars on the track at any one time - with like skilled drivers in the group.

After talking to some of the guys that did both level 1 and level 2 they saw more benefit in level 2 as the going in position and then progressing to level 3 (which I am hoping to book once we know the dates for 2014). Talk to Deanne (I think I have the spelling right) at PCA and see if she will exempt you, if you had previous track experience. Two of us did it this way there should be no issues, level 2 was the most basic entry I would want to do and got a lot out of it level 1 would have frustrated me. Skid pan is so much fun :) you will enjoy your time up there.

Arthur

Not a fan of the decals but maybe altering the vents to be darker and more discreet would work. The purist in me says why mess with perfection?  I think your car already looks cool.

BTW - you'll enjoy you're Porsche advanced driving - I was fortunate to have the opportunity in Oct up in Brisbane - it's a blast!

Amanda,

I did the Level 2 day in November and it was a blast. I was able to skip level 1 and go straight to level 2 basically from doing a couple of days with these guys, www.driverdynamics.com There is another day coming up on the 2/3 and the costs are around 350-450 for the day. I did my first run with these guys back in June last year in the 991 and it was a blast. You can have an instructor with you as long as you like and its a controlled 10 cars on the track at any one time - with like skilled drivers in the group.

After talking to some of the guys that did both level 1 and level 2 they saw more benefit in level 2 as the going in position and then progressing to level 3 (which I am hoping to book once we know the dates for 2014). Talk to Deanne (I think I have the spelling right) at PCA and see if she will exempt you, if you had previous track experience. Two of us did it this way there should be no issues, level 2 was the most basic entry I would want to do and got a lot out of it level 1 would have frustrated me. Skid pan is so much fun :) you will enjoy your time up there.

Arthur

Hi Arthur,

I did the defensive driving course with driverdynamics last year. Where they do it in the carpark (with the uneven road surface and gravel on it).  I felt like it was a fun day but didn't get a whole lot out of it.. the only thing I got to experience was my ABS!

What I really want is some experience in cornering, braking at 100km etc  so hoping I get to do all that with the Porsche course at Philip Island.  I'll contact Dearne today actually to see when they have the 2014 dates bedded in. 

sorry meant to say - I don't have any track experience. So I'm happy to start at the beginning!

I have toyed with the side stripes & vent upgrade ideas on my silver 987 as well Amanda.

I also didn't like the look of the stripes that just finished part way along the side and the tacky bit on the front bumper, I think they should go all the way to the rear wheel arch as James suggested. Still thinking about this. 

As for the vent covers, when I looked at what was available and the costs I decided to stick with factory originals.

As for my car I had a fancy new Pioneer head unit installed just before Christmas, got Bluetooth phone connection, satnav, digital radio, music from SD card, Bluetooth or cable from iPhone. I even managed to change the splash screen when it starts to a Porsche logo. The fascia plate is a great fit and matches the rest of the console perfectly. It's one I got off eBay and my installer said it was the best kit he has ever seen even down to instructions on how to remove the factory original unit. Pretty happy with my Christmas present to self!

I have toyed with the side stripes & vent upgrade ideas on my silver 987 as well Amanda.

I also didn't like the look of the stripes that just finished part way along the side and the tacky bit on the front bumper, I think they should go all the way to the rear wheel arch as James suggested. Still thinking about this. 

As for the vent covers, when I looked at what was available and the costs I decided to stick with factory originals.

As for my car I had a fancy new Pioneer head unit installed just before Christmas, got Bluetooth phone connection, satnav, digital radio, music from SD card, Bluetooth or cable from iPhone. I even managed to change the splash screen when it starts to a Porsche logo. The fascia plate is a great fit and matches the rest of the console perfectly. It's one I got off eBay and my installer said it was the best kit he has ever seen even down to instructions on how to remove the factory original unit. Pretty happy with my Christmas present to self!

That sounds great tomo.  Got any pics of your dash with the new unit fitted? I must say I can't bring myself to pay the $1000 fitted for the MoBridge unit. Its sooo expensive and at the end of the day I still end up with that crappy sat nav display unit.  So must say, I am considering what you have done there.   What I would be happy with, is a aux in - just a simple aux in. I can't believe in 2005 that Bose PCM system in my car cost $10k  and it doesn't have the simple functionality of an aux-in port!   The SLK from the same year had an aux-in.

Maybe I should put my aux-in beef in the vent section :P

Gee.....if only my Mobridge cost $1000 ...... up here it cost me twice that as well as the wasted cost of a Dension 500BT that blew and started smoking in the back of my dash.

But, i LOVE my Mobridge. Keep the genuine Bose and have all the functionality of a Bluetooth/A2DP system.

Archived