White Smoke on Start Up

SteveT

AOS is a reasonably easy job on the 986's  according to my workshop.  (Easy for him to say though)

Not being too Porsche mechanically minded myself though, it would probably be a monster job if I stupidly took it on.

My money is on the air/oil separator. I would also be looking at my plugs. They tell you are great deal. New ones can make such a difference. I had a Cayman 2.7 but I must admit I am not sure how easy they are to get at.

Yeah has the classic high vacuum at the oil cap as well.

AOS is a reasonably easy job on the 986's according to my workshop. (Easy for him to say though)

Not being too Porsche mechanically minded myself though, it would probably be a monster job if I stupidly took it on.

Not an easy one but I enjoy the challenge. I'm not Porsche mechanically minded but I'm learning.

Pelican has a good tutorial as usual. With his and others gives a well rounded look at the job before hand.

• 10 months later...

It's normal for your car to "clear its throat" very occassionally.  If it gets worse, then it's the air / oil seperator which needs servicing.

The engine air-oil separator is an emissions device that is responsible for collecting residual gases and vapours contained inside the crankcase and funnelling them back into the intake manifold where they can be burned in the combustion chamber. This reduces the overall emissions of the engine.

When the separator fails, you will begin to see a large increase in the overall vacuum in the engine crankcase. In the most extreme cases, the air-oil separator fails to separate the oil from the air and oil is then sucked into the intake manifold. Oil in the intake system is not healthy for the engine and it can foul spark plugs and destroy catalytic converters at the very least. The failure of the air-oil separator is often but not always, accompanied by huge amounts of white smoke exiting the vehicle's exhaust and a generally poor running engine. You may experience a check engine light (CEL) as the oil being drawn into the intake can affect the mixture level. The oil cap may be very difficult to remove when the engine is running due to high vacuum levels. In addition, you may hear a high-pitched squeal from the engine when it's running because air is being sucked in past the crankcase seal due to the extreme vacuum inside the case.

Thank you so very much mate, you're a saviour.

This happened to me this morning, the smoke and all, but it started with the loud embarrasing squealing sound in the middle of the city on Wednesday night. After that I drove home as if nothing was wrong but this morning, I could have easily been sending smoke messages to the Indians, thinking it was a blown gasket or something more sinister.

I will hope it's the AOS which is not a bad fix.

Thanks to all guys.

Hi Bobbyg, welcome to our forum.

Hopefully..and it certainly sounds like the AOS

Please come back and let us know how you went.

An update on how much the job (if it is the AOS) now costs would be good too.

Good luck with it

• 5 years later...

Hello everyone, I am a Newbe to this Forum and you guys sure seem to know your stuff, I have a 2010 Boxster S and have the White smoke on start up problem also, but after sitting in the Shed for the last 4-5 days I went out on purpose to start the car and had my stop watch ready to see how long the white smoke came out before it stopped, because it smokes for awhile then seems to stop, anyway I started the car hit the stop watch and jumped out of the car to go and have a look and time how long before the smoke goes away, but this time it dident smoke at all, not at all I am going to get it fixed next week when I take it for a service. My question to you guys should it be OK to drive it 450 Ks to the service center or not. Regards Sean.

4 minutes ago, gsbeamer said:

Hello everyone, I am a Newbe to this Forum and you guys sure seem to know your stuff, I have a 2010 Boxster S and have the White smoke on start up problem also, but after sitting in the Shed for the last 4-5 days I went out on purpose to start the car and had my stop watch ready to see how long the white smoke came out before it stopped, because it smokes for awhile then seems to stop, anyway I started the car hit the stop watch and jumped out of the car to go and have a look and time how long before the smoke goes away, but this time it dident smoke at all, not at all I am going to get it fixed next week when I take it for a service. My question to you guys should it be OK to drive it 450 Ks to the service center or not. Regards Sean.

Smoke on startup quite normal, particularly if it has sat for a few days.  Easy solution, drive it every day 🙂   Seriously though, do a search on this forum and on the 'net generally, and you'll find heaps of similar questions and answers.  And welcome to the forum 🙂 

I got a 2.9l DFI boxster with the AOS done.  Did 4 track days over 8 days and about 3,000 klms of hard driving in between and about 2/3 the way through I'd occassionally get white smoke on start up.  Threw it at the mechanic after the tour was over and he couldn't replicate.  Sounds like a 'thing'.  My car runs great.  No issues at all.  Thrashed the balls off it.  You'll be right.

On 23/06/2015 at 06:55, Niko said:

Hi Bobbyg, welcome to our forum.

Hopefully..and it certainly sounds like the AOS

Please come back and let us know how you went.

An update on how much the job (if it is the AOS) now costs would be good too.

Good luck with it

Looks like I’ll be talking to you when the time comes 🙂

Smoke on start up is an event from time to time on all the flat 6's, especially 996 Turbos (no AOS) which have a different cool down technique required to clear the turbo oil feed check valves.  White smoke and copious amounts of it however is a different matter.  A decent mechanic can check the capacity of the AOS to hold a vacuum.  If it is on the way out its not a difficult fix.

• 6 months later...