Garage Queens & Road Kings Event - expressions of interest...

Kerry

Have done a John Bowe day at Sandown with the PCV last year. It was great. Well run with good instructors from the elite of local race drivers. Booking as a group means you are there with other cars of similar performance. It might even get a group discount. I learnt heaps and it certainly gave me plenty to take away and think about.

i like the sound of all 3, but how about something like a high speed run at an airfield, or a wet skip pan day, something that doesn't require the potential large expense of a track day.

an airfield run would be pointless IMO. that would be for modified cars to compare against others.

Now an Auto-X would be fun. I've never done one before but would love to!!

I'm up for all three types of event.

Track days are bit of an issue to do re planning and more specifically cost. There are a number of options.

1 Tack onto another clubs sprint day. You need a Cams or AASA sprint licence. Get timed runs for bragging rights.

2 Go to Winton on a Friday Test and Tune day. Pay your money and drive. Still need a licence. No timed runs, just laps - lots of them.

3 Organise our own. Nothing about 15K for track hire etc wont fix.

4 Do a John Bowe drive day. Instruction, lots of laps for around $500

5 For newbys who have not got a licence you do one of the new Cams Come and Try days. There is one at Sandown this coming Sunday. You get some theory sessions and at least 2 track sessions with instructors beside you for about $100. The Sandown one is gfull but more a planned through the year. Google MSCA Come and Try and you can see the details on their website.   http://www.msca.net.au/index.php Maybe get in early as a group for the next one at Winton on 16 March (Grand Prix day) or April 6 at Phillip Island. Come down to Sandown next Sunday and have a look and I can explain how it works.

Option 5 sounds great :)

Have done a John Bowe day at Sandown with the PCV last year. It was great. Well run with good instructors from the elite of local race drivers. Booking as a group means you are there with other cars of similar performance. It might even get a group discount. I learnt heaps and it certainly gave me plenty to take away and think about.

+1. When reading through the thread their appears to be a lot of track newbies so something like this seems appropriate to kick off the track day event schedule, 

I'm thinking an Auto-X would be a good fun and exciting idea.

There's less wear and tear on your car as it's only a short sprint. less chance of crashing ect as you can only hit a cone. 

a little competition couldn't hurt (timed runs)

Our cars are made for cornering right?  ;)

I'm thinking an Auto-X would be a good fun and exciting idea.

There's less wear and tear on your car as it's only a short sprint. less chance of crashing ect as you can only hit a cone. 

a little competition couldn't hurt (timed runs)

Our cars are made for cornering right?  ;)

PCV did a half day at Tooradin airport, we set up a few cones and it was fun - I'd be in for that. 

Thanks one and all!

I've taken a back seat for the last few days since posting this as I wanted to gauge the interest in each suggestion beyond my own preferences and prompting.

I LOVE the idea that the northern brethren might consider an expedition below the border to catch up and participate! This would be a fantastic bonus for organising any event, and would certainly brand and define the PFA as a national body.

I am also overwhelmed by the offers of support in the organisation and running of these events. I will definitely take many of you up on these kind gestures.

So, I have convened a moderators meeting set for the next couple of weeks where we might work out some structures, including taking members up on their offer to assist in the organisation.

Many thanks comrades, stay tuned, and we'll look to create topic/event specific threads for these in the coming weeks with details.

Peace.

Good effort Steve, however I'm pretty sure its going to be down in Mexico... er, Melbourne, simply based on numbers.

Of interest, 46% of PFA members list their location as Melbourne. 

Take the point about school holidays though, I wonder if that makes it easier or harder for the interstaters to get away? i.e.: kids to juggle/bring along etc?

Note: I have catering sorted for any of the events if that comes up. A very good friend has made an amazing mobile wood fire BBQ that he does all american style ribs etc. on - takes it very seriously and it is amazing. 

Just saying, if we want/need to get some external catering  ;). Now all I need is to find a mobile slurpee machine.................. 

Note: I have catering sorted for any of the events if that comes up. A very good friend has made an amazing mobile wood fire BBQ that he does all american style ribs etc. on - takes it very seriously and it is amazing. 

Just saying, if we want/need to get some external catering  ;). Now all I need is to find a mobile slurpee machine.................. 

A day at Hanging Rock maybe? The BBQ would be a great addition for the rock :)

Sounds like Kerry is thinking of a multi day natmeet type of thing for PFA! Cool

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Davida and Rod.

I've heard the response from one and all, and it looks like all three events will happen at some stage this year. We've had a Mods meeting about it and I hope that we'll be able to name the first one sometime soon.

No doubt we'll need some volunteers, but mainly participants! ;):)

Archived