Vinyl wrapping, anyone tried Pro Vinyl in Sydney?

Simonoz

I'm looking into wrapping a white 911 in Sydney before shipping it home to WA. Partly to save it from the almost inevitable CEVA transport damage, partly because it's awkward to have done here as I live in country WA, and partly because when the car arrives I just want to drive the wheels off it and don't want to ruin it's lovely white paintwork.

Has anyone tried the Pro Vinyl business by any chance? Their web site is impressive, as is their project gallery, but it would be nice to get a reference from a PFA'er or two before I give them the car.

Goodness knows what colour might go on, but I'm favouring a flat grey like that on the 911 Sport Classic. Might be fun to open a thread on it when the dust settles on the purchase and put it to the PFA vote because I haven't really got a clue on what would look good on the new beast.

The site looks pretty good. I’d imagine they’d be fine. Probably the main difference between companies is the pricing and even then they seemed to be pretty close when I had my car done. Just over $3k in all black. I’d bet they’d quote you a similar price. I’ve heard from $2500-$3500 for a basic wrap.

Thanks guys

Things moved quickly this morning and I needed to jump as it's not easy organising all the delivery and movement issues from WA when the cars in Sydney so after trying to contact Pro Vinyl and not getting through on the phone I tracked down Ozi Cozi via the 3M website. Andrew there has quoted $2,100 to wrap the car in the 3M Stoneguard product, which will protect it from the Margaret River boondies, I hope. It's a clear film, strong, and durable apparently. Let's see.

The car in question is a white 2009 GT2. The only white one of the two GT2's delivered in Australia in 2009, the other being black and in Victoria. 11,700kms, red dials, red belts, painted sills and nose blade, Bose 325 watt stereo, multifunction steering wheel in carbon, two piece carbon folding sports seats. It's been a Canberra car, owned by one of the good guys it seems. He's been a great help. I am absolutely delighted to be able to replace my 996 GT2 whichever as written off by an employee a couple of years ago. My wife not so. She doesn't want to see the 993 Turbo go. Neither do I but I'm not a museum keeper. I'm going to have a quiet think about the situation and see how I feel about it over the next week or two. My wife got tormented by "friends" pointing out the merits or otherwise of the Widowmaker when the GT2 accident happened, and the words GT2 aren't exactly popular in our house. Other than that I think I've done something clever for once, as this car is so rare and in the longer term, it's the last manual GT2 Porsche are ever going to build, and perhaps the last GT2. I don't really buy cars for the future, I'm an enthusiast at heart but I am looking forward to driving it very much.

Thanks guys

Things moved quickly this morning and I needed to jump as it's not easy organising all the delivery and movement issues from WA when the cars in Sydney so after trying to contact Pro Vinyl and not getting through on the phone I tracked down Ozi Cozi via the 3M website. Andrew there has quoted $2,100 to wrap the car in the 3M Stoneguard product, which will protect it from the Margaret River boondies, I hope. It's a clear film, strong, and durable apparently. Let's see.

The car in question is a white 2009 GT2. The only white one of the two GT2's delivered in Australia in 2009, the other being black and in Victoria. 11,700kms, red dials, red belts, painted sills and nose blade, Bose 325 watt stereo, multifunction steering wheel in carbon, two piece carbon folding sports seats. It's been a Canberra car, owned by one of the good guys it seems. He's been a great help. I am absolutely delighted to be able to replace my 996 GT2 whichever as written off by an employee a couple of years ago. My wife not so. She doesn't want to see the 993 Turbo go. Neither do I but I'm not a museum keeper. I'm going to have a quiet think about the situation and see how I feel about it over the next week or two. My wife got tormented by "friends" pointing out the merits or otherwise of the Widowmaker when the GT2 accident happened, and the words GT2 aren't exactly popular in our house. Other than that I think I've done something clever for once, as this car is so rare and in the longer term, it's the last manual GT2 Porsche are ever going to build, and perhaps the last GT2. I don't really buy cars for the future, I'm an enthusiast at heart but I am looking forward to driving it very much.

Wow, congratulations! 

Thanks guys

congrats, so your selling the 993TT to make way for a 997 GT2? not a bad swap

Guest hepkat63

just curious... I hadn't really heard of this procedure before - and are interested to know if anyone out there has has smaller parts done (like consoles etc).  Also, is it possible to do this sort of thing yourself?

Thanks guys

and not to mention the last of the Mezger engines.

Congratulations Simon wishing you lots of happy/thrilling/exhilarating  motoring.

just curious... I hadn't really heard of this procedure before - and are interested to know if anyone out there has has smaller parts done (like consoles etc).  Also, is it possible to do this sort of thing yourself?

I have seen smaller parts done such as seat backs and trim and it looks good.

It is possible to do yourself as you can buy the material, however my understanding is that it is not easy to do and get perfect.

There are done good videos on 3m's website and on YouTube about how to apply the vinyl. Vinyl won't protect you from stone chips so I've gone for the Stoneguard in Ozi Cozis recommendation. Suits me because I didn't want a colour change.

Be nice think I could swap the 993 Turbo for the GT2 but I'd be missing about $120,000! Even man accounting couldn't wallpaper that crack, not in my household at least.

I know the ozi cozi guys have a good rep in the mini community (Andrew used to drive one). They also sponsored a friends r53 targa car and do all of his sponsorship too.

Got a friend who's taking his new crystler 300 hemi SRT there in a week or so as well...

White on the 997 is the best colour for the car. Congrats.

Its ironic how few white cars there are before 2010 when it became popular. Up here in Singapore it is now by far the most sought after colour on a Porsche.

My Targa is white too and Im lead to believe that it may be the only white 4S in Sydney.......yes, it arrived yesterday off the boat so its officially now an Aussie car!

Congratulations Simon. That sounds like an awesome car. Have to admit I am kind of shocked that you are considering moving the 993 on though....

Anyway the GT2 will be some car that's for sure.

I'm not sure yet what I'll do, Chris. I let the red 993 Turbo go once and regretted it greatly so I would think it will stay. Wendy doesn't want it to go. I've realised that if I snare a good 356 (and I'm still looking for the right car) my little garage would look pretty right with the 74 RS competition car, the 993 Turbo, and the GT2. I've always had to let cars go to get the next one, but I don't have to do that nowadays. It just takes a while to get used to that notion I can tell you. It's quite interesting to me that at this point I've got less money tied up than if I had bought a new 991 Turbo, and I'm not likely to suffer any depreciation. The moneyman in me likes that bit...

Thanks for letting me know. He sounded as though he was a decent guy and knew his stuff. Two 991's in short order. Any reason?

1st one was the 3.4 & it lacked the torque of my 997.2 so I traded it on the 991 3.8S, much more satisfactory. All cars were manuals.

1st one was the 3.4 & it lacked the torque of my 997.2 so I traded it on the 991 3.8S, much more satisfactory. All cars were manuals.

A 991 3.8S manual would be a pretty rare car. Very nice.

I'm a great fan of torque. I've never had a car with too much torque. That may change with the GT2

A 991 3.8S manual would be a pretty rare car. Very nice.

I'm a great fan of torque. I've never had a car with too much torque. That may change with the GT2

Thanks Simon, I am amazed these days when you go to a event how many PDK cars are out there, it's almost like spot the manual. I've even been to workshops & P car centres where guys come out & say " look this ones a manual, take a look at that".

I think your going to love the GT2 & I'm sure you will find the torque just perfect. Love to see some pics of your new car when it arrives.