Stupid things people have said about your Porsche

Pauly

The worst comment I ever received was:

looks like you will be paying that off for the rest of your life........................

At the time I was 27 when I bought the 993 - if you havent got anything good to say why say anything at all.........

Like someone else posted the comment that really cut deep for me though was:

we are paying you too much............

I went out and bought an appliance to drive to clients from that day onwards. These days I have matured and dont feel as insecure about what my clients think and just drive the 991 (when I feel like it) and dont give a flying fruck what they say - even found out recently that the executive team at one of my clients said "Why do you have an IT guy that drives a Porsche....." to the CIO  :wacko:

I hope to be in your shoes one day in owning a new Porsche. 

A true story i read from R-list

One guy said to a 944 ('83 n/a) owner "why don't you buy a real porsche, just like that one over there" -pointing to a 997 gt3-

The GT3 owner says "hey mate, we all start somewhere, my first Porsche was a 944 and i loved it"

The way i see it, you shouldn't give 1 truck about what people think! 

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like you will be paying that off for the rest of your life........................

At the time I was 27 when I bought the 993 - if you havent got anything good to say why say anything at all.........

It would be nice if people actually thought of it as "he must work hard and save his pennies!" rather than "your getting paid too much!". Each to their own I guess, as I said before people choose to spend their money on all sorts of things - Its just that it seems if you spend it on something like a Porsche people are very quick to judge!  <_<

Young, red Porsche = suspected drug dealer or rich kid  :angry:

Hence why it is sometimes just easier to keep it a secret and only share with people who understand.  ;) (Thanks PFA!)

One guy said to a 944 ('83 n/a) owner "why don't you buy a real porsche, just like that one over there" -pointing to a 997 gt3-

The GT3 owner says "hey mate, we all start somewhere, my first Porsche was a 944 and i loved it"

It would be nice if people actually thought of it as "he must work hard and save his pennies!" rather than "your getting paid too much!". Each to their own I guess, as I said before people choose to spend their money on all sorts of things - Its just that it seems if you spend it on something like a Porsche people are very quick to judge!  <_<

Young, red Porsche = suspected drug dealer or rich kid  :angry:

Hence why it is sometimes just easier to keep it a secret and only share with people who understand.  ;) (Thanks PFA!)

It's a shame human nature is so green with envy rather than being happy for our fellow (wo)man. I grew up in a blue collar family with not much money so I worked damn hard to get where I have - I dont judge others and foolishly thought they wouldnt judge me either but they did............ Let people strive for their dreams why cut them down. 

The other stupid comment I received from a client was:

well if you want to show off why didnt you buy a Ferrari? At least that yells "Look at me!"....... 

People like that don't understand passion and unfortunately see the marque as a status symbol rather than what it means to people like us. I dremt of driving a Porsche since Year 7 - not for it prestige but for what it was and its heritage............

Security guard at work quizzed why I was going so fast in the carpark and threatened to bar me from using it.  There are speed bumps all over with a 10kph limit.  I was crawling in first and the speedo was on the rest.  It doesn't show until at least 25-30.  I think the fact that he could actually hear my car, as distinct from all the new silent types that populate most of the car park, made him deduce that I must have been speeding.  That was the discussion when he pulled me up at the door.

So now I give it a rev.  as I pass his desk, just enough for it to pop   :ph34r:

have had someone point at my oil cooler and say "awesome porsche turbo! check out that intercooler!"

nothing gets my back up more than "we're paying you too much" - most of the SUV's in the car park here at work are worth twice my car!

yeah.. i get
"you must have lots of money, owning a porsche!"
mate, reverse that.. owning a porsche is WHY i have no money.. :lol:
still a better choice than letting my cash sit in a bank! :D

I get the paying too much line a lot, standard response is 'not a hance mate, the trick is to marry money....' Seems to work...

I went out and bought an appliance to drive to clients from that day onwards. These days I have matured and dont feel as insecure about what my clients think and just drive the 991 (when I feel like it) and dont give a flying fruck what they say - even found out recently that the executive team at one of my clients said "Why do you have an IT guy that drives a Porsche....." to the CIO :wacko:

It's a shame human nature is so green with envy rather than being happy for our fellow (wo)man. I grew up in a blue collar family with not much money so I worked damn hard to get where I have - I dont judge others and foolishly thought they wouldnt judge me either but they did............ Let people strive for their dreams why cut them down. 

The other stupid comment I received from a client was:

well if you want to show off why didnt you buy a Ferrari? At least that yells "Look at me!"....... 

People like that don't understand passion and unfortunately see the marque as a status symbol rather than what it means to people like us. I dremt of driving a Porsche since Year 7 - not for it prestige but for what it was and its heritage..........."

Its called the "Tall Poppy Syndrome Envy" , Australia has a very bad case of this terrible disease.

Lol. I wonder how people in this forum vote...

This sort of discussion reminds me of that Shannon Knowles song "What about me! It isn't fair..."

I just have to stop you right there  tit -  Shannon Knowles covered that song and it was not his song.  Moving Pictures are the original performers of "What about me"

I can't stand Shannon and that bloody karaoke show (sorry I should add this to the vent thread)

I just have to stop you right there  tit -  Shannon Knowles covered that song and it was not his song.  Moving Pictures are the original performers of "What about me"

I can't stand Shannon and that bloody karaoke show (sorry I should add this to the vent thread)

I prefer the one about his "big black shiny car"  :D

nothing gets my back up more than "we're paying you too much" - most of the SUV's in the car park here at work are worth twice my car!

My daily drive was an E30 BMW, which is cheaper than a Corrolla, yet one of the girls at work was giving me stick for driving a Beemer! She on the other hand spent 52K on a new SS Commodore ute and is now annoyed because she wants to sell it and it's valued at 32K and it's only a few years old.

I only share my Porsche enthusiasm with those that understand. I'm sick of being judged.

I still find it funny when non-porsche people comment on how great my "new" car is......flattering, but not new.

Then again, there's the brilliance of the 911 design.....most dont know how old your car is. They all look the same aparently.

I have also copped a lot of getting paid too much type remarks but the worse was getting abused at the lights because I was a *white collar* expletive and it was ppl like me who killed others on the road. I did inform that I had never killed anyone but he seemed very sure I had. BTW this came from a guy sitting in a car that costs 3 times what my car cost and who was clearly making a lot more coin than I do and my guess had gone from blue collar to management or was a cashed up tradie and so a long way from working class. Amazing how a brand of car tells ppl your job, your income and your political values.

I just took off when the lights turned green knowing his 3 times more costly new car could never keep up and never saw him again.

Hey Pauly, I think all of us can relate to this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF9nsoncn4U

Its called the "Tall Poppy Syndrome Envy" , Australia has a very bad case of this terrible disease.

desismileys_4421.gif

Now you blokes (and lady) know what I have to put up with, when people see me in my beloved 85 Bluebird

Oh no!

You have exposed a crack in my Shannon Knowles knowledge!

Its fitting that an Australian sing it. That is how much of the population thinks...

I just have to stop you right there tit - Shannon Knowles covered that song and it was not his song. Moving Pictures are the original performers of "What about me"

Hey Pauly, I think all of us can relate to this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF9nsoncn4U

no doubt! Dad bought his 924 when he was 26 new, i remember going to Porsche in collingwood to pick up spare parts with mum. And i was staring at the 996 turbo S cab. 

I use to have a 996 turbo poster in my bedroom and a 944 turbo picture in a frame in the garage where i use to play with my electronics! 

I've got one of them :P  In the next few years i hope to own another Porsche 'turbo' 996 or newer. 

Another one i remember hearing

"this kid must be from toorak, his got a porsche"

I've been getting the "you must get paid too much" as well as "you must be rich", mostly from work mates when they find out I drive a Porsche and that's after they find out which suburb I live in.

These are people who make seriously good money but prefer to spend most days off in their $50-$70,000 fishing boats towed by an even more expensive 4WD, and then most afternoons at the pub or club drinking gluttonous volumes of alcohol and throwing $50 bills into poker machines or punting on a little man in coloured silks, nothing wrong with this by the way, take a look at yourself first before you pass judgement on how people spend their hard earned dollar.  

I find it very amusing because I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, quite the opposite actually, born in the burbs and not a great one either, left home at 17 and worked my arse off to get where I am, so to all those small minded people, judge away, but you can't comment on the book until you've read it cover to cover.

Archived